Author Topic: Control arm bushings on S4  (Read 1479 times)

SuperTuneMike

• n00balicious
Control arm bushings on S4
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »
I have a 2000 S4 and a few of my control arm bushings , along with a lf tie-rod end, are worn. I am planning on changing the bushings and tie-rod end Christmas week, then taking the car for an alignment. I found that you can get the bushing without having to buy the whole control arm(s). I have a shop and a press and other tools to do the work. Wondering if anyone has any experience either changing the bushings in control arms or having someone (shop) do it?
I know the guys at "303". They are close to my shop, but I own a motorcycle & ATV tuning shop in Wheat Ridge (SuperTuneMotorsports.com) and have a great deal of experience taking most any bike, as well as my S4 apart to tune or repair it. I built the suspension kit myself when I got the car new in 2000. But have not replaced bushings in these arms before. I found the worn parts when i was doing an oil change a few weeks ago.
Look forward to any advise anyone could provide.
Come see our web site and stop by the ST shop if you have a bike or are interested in a good, friendly motorcycle shop!
thanks,
mike

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Control arm bushings on S4
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
Hey Mike! As far as 3Zero3 goes, they're a good outfit. They rebuilt Streetcrawler's entire S4. I don't have any personal experience with them, but as far as Audi performance goes, I've not heard bad things about Autobahn, Avalon, or SCR. You can't go wrong with any of these.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
Mike -

First off welcome! and b, I would imagine you could just go with the bushing. Since most DIYers don't have access to special equipment these things often get done by shops. Also, I think in many cases it's not just the bushings that are shot, but the control arm is in bad shape too.

Honestly, if you call any of those shops they'll be upfront with you on what can and can't be done and how easy (or difficult) it might be. Again, I really think it's just a matter of who has the right tools and know how. On my old Scout whenever I do axle work and need bearings pressed in I just disassemble everything and take it to a shop, have them press the bearings in and then head home. There is still a small labor charge, but a lot cheaper than the alternative sometimes.

Many folks have done tie rods and the entire control arm. So you should be able to find a lot of posts on the subject.