Author Topic: Changing batteries in remote  (Read 5305 times)

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Changing batteries in remote
« on: August 04, 2003, 01:03:50 AM »
I have a 2001.5 Passat and haven't seen one posting at any vw forum on how to change the new remotes batteries, or if you even can do it. Getting close to two and a half years and starting to worry a little. Can't really see myself paying the dealership $45 bucks + to do something for less than $10 in batteries and some of my time. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. BTW the new keys don't have a slot in the side of them to pry it open, but have heard of them having a screw under the VW emblem???????????  Don't really know :oops: ...
Look officer, I really do own it......

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 02:05:10 AM »
Wyaka,

I haven't heard anything on this either.  Mine has 3+ years on it and is still working, although the range is not quite what it was.

I'd post over to CB5 to see what some of the other fanatics have to say  :wink:
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 02:05:10 AM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 09:59:06 AM »
I would also like to know.  Mine is also 3+ years and the range can vary, but it is not as far as it used to be.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 11:07:29 AM »
Already did that and I received more interest here than there. It seems no one knows or they aren't talking for whatever reason. Hopefully someone else here will know. My range on the remote is considerably shorter than it used to be, especially for the trunk(need to be within 3 feet to work reliably)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 11:46:31 AM »
there was a "how to" somewhere on the web that I printed up a while ago...let me see if I can find it again and I will post the link here.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 11:49:15 AM »
That will work, Thanks :D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 11:51:44 AM »
Found it on ClubB5.com in the Featrures section under the Information section.  There is a lot of information there on many procedures...I found that section very useful...but very forgotten by many members

Anyway...here is the link, print it up and have at it.

http://www.clubb5.com/information/replacingbattery.shtml

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 12:06:38 PM »
Yeah, I saw that there, but mine doesn't have the slot to pry apart and the keyring is different. Wasn't too sure if they were the same or not. Looking under the key with the key out there's a place you can pry the pieces apart. Thanks for your help.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 12:41:45 PM »
sorry it was not the right one...even though they had different key ring holders, I thought they were pretty much the same.  Hope it works out for you..and if it does, take pics and do a write up here for other people with the new key fobs.

Cheers
jon
 8)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 12:49:09 PM »
Wyaka,

Are you going to go to the Handlebar and Grill Tuesday and meet the rest of us?  We could take a look at it then and see what's up with it...

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 12:26:54 AM »
Yeah, I'll try to make it. What time does most of the people show up? I've got to go home and spend a little time with my kids before I go out. My wife is very understanding....THANK GOD!!!!  I'll try to be there about 6:30ish.. See you then.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 11:40:20 AM »
6:30ish should be fine.

See you then![/img]

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 02:43:59 AM »
Finally got enough guts to change the remote batteries. It's very similar to the thread on club B5 http://www.clubb5.com/information/replacingbattery.shtml
The only exception is that for B5.5 and up only needs one battery, a CR2032 from any radio shack and that the remote has a rubber seal and a lip on the inside that holds it together. You'll need a flat bladed screw driver and a light touch not to tear the seal. All in all it was pretty easy, but was scared of messing up all the same. Now my remote works like it was new and I don't have to be within 5 feet of the car to open or lock it. I hope this helps any of you that have been wondering about changing the battery on your remote.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 02:46:47 AM »
Finally got enough guts to change the remote batteries. It's very similar to the thread on club B5 http://www.clubb5.com/information/replacingbattery.shtml
The only exception is that for B5.5 and up only needs one battery, a CR2032 from any radio shack and that the remote has a rubber seal and a lip on the inside that holds it together. The key part is separated by opening the key and using a flat bladed screw driver to pry the two halves apart. You'll also need a flat bladed screw driver and a light touch not to tear the seal. All in all it was pretty easy, but was scared of messing up all the same. Now my remote works like it was new and I don't have to be within 5 feet of the car to open or lock it. I hope this helps any of you that have been wondering about changing the battery on your remote. (Added the part about separating the 2 halves and could not delete the first post...Sorry) :oops:

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 12:46:46 PM »
Nice Steve!  I need to change the batteries on both of my remotes, so I may try to tackle this soon too.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 05:22:11 PM »
Just changed mine, they were the original batteries.  I noticed that after changing the batteries, the remote would not work until I manually unlocked the car.  Now the remote works from a far greater distance.  :)
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!