Author Topic: House project -Bronzing the garbage  (Read 2076 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
House project -Bronzing the garbage
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
We have been under pressure as we realized the entire Summer slipped right by and it feels like we accomplished nothing. We have about a million things we are trying to finish up this year with our budget before rolling into 2009.

One of our big things we had been saving for is eradicating the house of all the "gold" door knobs, bath fixtures, door hinges, door knocker, door viewer etc etc etc.

It's not terribly expensive to swap out all your door hardware and is really pretty easy and is a nice upgrade on an older home.

However, we did run into a few hiccups, the viewer and the door knocker on our front door are not standard sizes and we have been going with an aged/venetian bronze for all our door hardware. We were about to plunk down ~$50 on a $12 door knocker because we can't find one for the pre-drilled holes and we don't really want to fill and redrill.

The worse part is the viewer is HUGE, a 1" hole and the ONLY ones made that fit are shiny brass. Which is what we have and I can't stand it on our home.

We went shopping knowing recently I bought some Vinyl paint from Rustoleum that had great reviews so we went back to that brand and found and oil rubbed bronze in a rattle can.

Since I have the never ending project in the Scout, I always have sandpaper and primer sitting around. So I roughed up the brass viewer and door knocker. Also, the door knocker was engraved with the previous owners name PAGE.

I forgot to take the before pictures of the knocker and viewer so here are some stock photos to get an idea:

Viewer

Knocker

First step was to sand them to rough em up and clean em up. On the viewer I needed to put painters tape over the lens on the outside facing side as it does not disassemble. It does have a lip, so if you have a razor it will work well. After sanding I primed with some self etching primer. I put three coats on the knocker and just one on the viewer:

note: you can no longer see the engraving

hammer:

I have no primer pictures of the viewer but here is the first pass with the oil rubbed bronze paint, not the primered knocker:

close up, the tape is in the center:

This is the knocker after two coats:

hammer after 2.5 coats

They look a lot better in person and are a good enough match to our new door hardware. We also sanded the front doors to repaint them and will install the new hardware in a week or two on those doors once we finish painting them.

At Lowes/Home Depot you can buy a standard knocker with about a 3 15/16 space between the mount holes in various finishes. Same with the viewer for a 9/16 or 1/2 hole. Each can retail for about $10 - $15 each.

The larger span knockers and of course viewers only seem to come in bright brass and sometimes silver. The viewer is still cheap if you were to buy one, but the knocker price can vary especially if you want it in another finish.

We spent ~$6 on the can of paint and I already had the sand paper and primer. Just a little time and effort and they seem to have turned out just great.

Here are some other photos on the door hardware and bath fixture replacements:

Before

After

Before (not exact but similar)

Bath fixture after:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:49:39 PM by gietl »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: House project -Bronzing the garbage
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
wow, those look great.  So much better than just store bought, I love the DIY aspect of it.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »
Well the last items are now complete. A couple weeks ago we got the house painted, a week ago new gutters and this weekend we scraped, sanded, primed and painted the front doors, weather stripping and installed new hardware.

This took us from about 8 am Saturday to about 1am Sunday. Then we did a little touch up later Sunday morning and we just finished installing everything.

Other than the replacement of the door hardware, it was $20 for primer and paint to redo the front doors, and I still had leftover bronze paint from doing the door knocker weeks ago. Kind of nice to be able to make such a drastic change in this economy for such a reasonable amount.

Doors after sanding:

Doors after primer:

Getting paint!

Ready to be hung

Doors hung with new hardware (yes one lock is crooked in the photo but has been adjusted since):

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
Here are some pictures from he house paint project:

Before:

Some siding replacement:

Getting painted:

Done! (Pre Gutters)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:40:37 PM »
OMG Jay, that looks fantastic.  Looks like the painters went to town as well, they did a fantastic job from the pics.  The doors and hardware are outstanding.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks Jon, and good news, we just replaced the exterior lights! Need to pick up one more for the front door, but the ones by the garage are now replaced with a similar light but in black.

We are totally beat, I even ran out of time to the point I still need to blow out the sprinklers and now it's dark!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:50:14 AM by gietl »

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
Looks great Jay! I especially like the red doors, nice touch!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »
I am blowing out my sprinklers tomorrow, and steam cleaning carpets, grocery shopping, and then studying for my critical care/ICU certification exam coming up....

I am planning on starting a new interior remodel project for our house, slate, tile, paint, blah, blah, blah.  I need more money.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »
The work looks really nice Jay! I'm digging the DIY on the hardware for sure!

We've got so many fun projects planned for our place as well. Most of everything we've done so far has been repairing things we got the previous owners to pay for prior to the sale and doing the work ourselves to keep more of the money. Fixing the boiler, replacing a 4" drain pipe, new thermostats and that sort of thing. This Winter will probably be mostly woodwork and painting. Next Spring, after the wedding, will probably start some of the bigger projects.

It's like having a big car to mod... that ya know, doesn't move.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »
The sad part is that's true, because all my car mod money goes into the house. :)

Thanks again for the comments, I am still a little tired from this weekend. Need to go pick up one more light after work and install it. The last part is to affix the house numbers over the garage again. Hopefully next weekend will be warm enough to do that.

Also, I will have to say, after using it and looking at the results in person, not in pictures, the Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint works really well. For the price I really can't complain.

Since it is paint, the finish wont be the same as most hardware items, meaning it will scratch easier, but if it is just aesthetics and is not a well used part I think it is a good choice.

I guess when I look back and think I was ready to spend like $60 for a new door knocker and had no idea what I was going to do about a viewer, the money spent for the DIY approach was just so obvious.

We actually have two kick plates that need to go on the front doors still, I believe I STILL have enough paint left to do those. So maybe by the end of the week I will get those done and installed.