Author Topic: iPod touch wi-fi  (Read 3653 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
iPod touch wi-fi
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
posting via wi-fi a the new iPod touch I just got :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: iPod touch wi-fi
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Sweet!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
I won it at work :)

Hard to type as my fingers are fat, haha

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »
I want a new iPod "touch me" named Shirley.

lol
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
I have an iPhone and it took me about a week to get used to the keyboard, but now I am really used to it and very fast with it.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »
Jack, do you use one finger, or 2 to type on it,  I have to use one, but use all of my fingers to type on a key board.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »
Jack, do you use one finger, or 2 to type on it,  I have to use one, but use all of my fingers to type on a key board.

kinky
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
I started to hunt & peck.

Then a day or two later I was using my thumb... 

...and then started incorporating my left thumb.  I mis-type the letter quite often, but the apple software is so smart I rarely have to back space...  I write an email faster on my iphone than my father can do an email on this computer (he is a hunt and pecker - but quick at it).
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
I have an iPod Touch and it recognizes my Wifi network, but will not connect.  Any suggestions?  I cannot find the time to figure this stuff out.  Do I have to change the IP address or subnet or some other techno stuff?  Anyone willing to offer suggestions (caveat:  suggestions must be fit for an idiot -- me).  Thanks.  Mike

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:05:03 AM »
well, my network is apple, all my computer stuff is apple, so maybe that is why it connects so well.  at first it did not, then I powered it down, then it worked.  I sync'd my book marks, under the other tab in iTunes when syncing.  Maybe that helped me access my web pages.  I have a secure wep network thingy, had to type in my password on the touch, then i had full access.  works fine.  outside of that, i don't have much for suggestions.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
I have an iPod Touch and it recognizes my Wifi network, but will not connect.  Any suggestions?  I cannot find the time to figure this stuff out.  Do I have to change the IP address or subnet or some other techno stuff?  Anyone willing to offer suggestions (caveat:  suggestions must be fit for an idiot -- me).  Thanks.  Mike

In order to get my laptop to sync with my wifi, I had to turn off everything, hit reset on back of comcast modem, power up the rest of everything and it then recognized my laptop.  Hopefully that helps

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:43:13 PM »
My guess is possibly you have your network locked down and it needs a key to access the network. At least that is how I have mine setup at home.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »
My guess is possibly you have your network locked down and it needs a key to access the network. At least that is how I have mine setup at home.

you might be running MAC Address Control too and may need to login to the router to approve the new device being on the network.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 01:54:47 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.  And sorry I am so slow to respond, but I really have about 3 minutes of spare time each day.  I've had this iTouch thing on my desk for more than a month....

The iTouch device "sees" my Actiontec router (Qwest), but when I try to connect I am told "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server."

Lots of options on the Actiontec router under advanced setup.  EG:

Option IP addres through PPPoE or PPPoA.
Specify a static IP address.
Security (WEP, WPA, etc.).  Currently "off".
Wireless MAC authentication.  Currently "Accept all clients"
DHCP.  Currently "off".  Better to turn on this function???
Dynamic Routing.  Currently "off"
NAT.  Currently "off"
Static Routing.  Currently none entered.
LAN netmask and Lan Netmask.  I have not changed these parameters.

On the iTouch, I have selected Static for IP address.
IP address:  should this matcht the IP address on the Actiontec router?
What should the Subnet Mask be?
DNS?

Ok, that's about it.  Any suggestions?  And yeah, obviously, I do not know what I'm doing.....

Thanks

Mike aka Lila

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »
turn on DHCP on the router, and turn on automatic IP address on each of the devices that connect to it.

BTW, with those settings your network isnt very secure.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 02:14:58 AM »
Mike, if you turn on DHCP the router will assign IP addresses to each device. Probably what you want. The ipod thingy you have probably should be sat to be automagically assigned an IP.

THat might be all you need to do. Now of course if your computer is setup with a static IP address and you switch to DHCP that might jack things up. I'm no pro.

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
^----These guys are right - turn on DCHP on your router, enable DHCP (a.k.a dynamic addressing - the opposite of static) on your iPod.  With DHCP turned on and enabled on both devices, your router will assign an IP, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS to your device. 

Unless you are in the middle of nowhere, please for your security sakes turn on WEP or WPA for network encrytion.  As you have it now, anyone can jump on your network and use your wireless connection and see/hack your wireless devices!

If you turn encryption on you will need the security "key"  (a string of numbers/letters) from the router and you will need to input that into your iPod and/or any wireless device you currently are using on that router.

I have a little info about static vs. dynamic IP addressing on my tech forum here.

If you have more questions about networking, email PM or post - BTW I am a straight up geek.  :-[ ;D
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
Update:

Ok, I was able to connect the iTouch to my DSL modem wirelessly after changing over to DCHP on the modem and the iTouch.  But, somehow I cannot make it work if I use any security.  At least, when I enabled the WEP security, no love.  So, any ideas there?  Also, is WAP a better option?  Also, what is SSID ?

And btw, yes, security is important to me.  Until yesterday, I'd never used the wireless feature more than for a few hours for a house guest (I never use a laptop at home).  But if I want to use this iTouch device, I need to turn it on, so I need security...

Thanks again...

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
With any security turned on you will either need to enter the MAC address of the wireless device (the ipod) in the router or if there is an encryption key then the ipod would need to allow you the ability to enter that.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:37:21 PM »
Ok, thanks.  But, I cannot figure out how to enter a MAC address into the iTouch device.  Anyone with this knowledge?

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »
With any security turned on you will either need to enter the MAC address of the wireless device (the ipod) in the router or if there is an encryption key then the ipod would need to allow you the ability to enter that.

Close, but that's only if he has MAC filtering turned on.  The Actiontec has that turned off by default.  SSID is the public name of a wireless network - if it is "default" or "home" or something generic, change it to lessen the risk of someone snooping your network (default names indicate n00bs = easy hack).  BTW I'm glad you had your wireless turned off when you weren't using it, but you still should secure it.

To keep it simple, use WEP-128 bit encryption.  First enable WEP on your router - you can enter the WEP key in manually, but I think that model has a passphrase that will generate your WEP key from any word you want, which is easier.  When that is done copy/paste that key to a notepad file and save it.  (I put that .txt file with my WEP key on my USB flash drive so I can quickly get devices on the wireless networks)

Anyway, when you have your WEP key, you need to input that into your iPod, then you should be able to connect to your wireless network.

Picture that WEP key as like a phsyical key to your house...with that key you can get in, without it you can't. 

Hope that helps a little bit more.

EDIT:
Ok, thanks.  But, I cannot figure out how to enter a MAC address into the iTouch device.  Anyone with this knowledge?

Your MAC address is the physical address of your wireless hardware and is entered into you router, not the iPod.  So, if you use MAC filtering you would get the MAC of your iPod, and enter it in your router.  ONLY those MAC addresses in the router can connect to your wireless network (regardless if WEP is turned on or not). Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:01:17 PM by MikeWire »
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P