Author Topic: I made a mess today  (Read 2737 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
I made a mess today
« on: January 27, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »
decided to undo a bunch of the accessory wiring that previous owners had done to the rover.

I was able to pull all of this out:

and I had to take the entire dash apart to get it done.  still have some more useless wires to trace and remove:

I think it is gonna take me a little while to get this all back together.  At least this wasnt on the allroad.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: I made a mess today
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:06:14 PM »
Well, on the other hand, it if WAS the Allroad it wouldn't matter with as much as it's Nice. What was all that for?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:06:14 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
Well, on the other hand, it if WAS the Allroad it wouldn't matter with as much as it's Nice. What was all that for?

I think it was at least 3 sets of previous offroad lights, that of course were not on the truck when I got it.  I needed to get those out before I attempted to wire up my own lights.  and I had no idea how good those wires were, so I didnt want to use them, but preferred to wire my own up from scratch.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
Wow, thats what the entire harness of my FJ looked like. That mess is perfect for starting a random fire in a hidden part of the dash in the middle of nowhere!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
oh crap, that looks frightening.  I hate electrical.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
oh crap, that looks frightening.  I hate electrical.

I second that. But it feels so good to get rid of all that stuff. You just never know when someone else has done that kind of work if it's going to cause a short or worse.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
Yeah, electrical scares me too, but I figure it is better to have all this unused stuff out of there before I go about wiring up my own lights.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »
I always hate the previous owner when it comes to wiring. ALWAYS seems to be wrong.

I decided with the resto of the old pickup to not even deal with it and got an entire new harness for the whole truck. Replaced EVERY wire in the whole chassis.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »
I always hate the previous owner when it comes to wiring. ALWAYS seems to be wrong.

I decided with the resto of the old pickup to not even deal with it and got an entire new harness for the whole truck. Replaced EVERY wire in the whole chassis.

I dont even want to know what that would be like on the rover.  '92 "luxury" vechicles had TONS of wires.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
I used a "Painless" style kit for the FJ. It was a lot easier than i thought. Now making a loom from scratch for chevy TBI....that i found a little more tricky!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"