Author Topic: First Rant of '08!  (Read 4093 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
First Rant of '08!
« on: January 09, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
It has been a while, so here is a rant for the start of 2008.

[Perter Griffen Voice]  "You know what really grinds my gears!  VW/Audi owners that take their car to Grease Monkey!

I see more stupid things happen to perfectly good cars because some hood-rat at Grease Monkey puts Dex-Cool in the cooling system.  What a mess.  G12 does not play well with others and should never be mixed with anything but distilled water.  I do not care what Prestone says!

Non-Synthetic Motor Oil in a VAG car, are you kidding me.  Talk about the fast track to sludge and low oil pressure problems.  Also 5W30, WTF!!!  Do not even get me started about the filters they use.  Wrong size, cheep-o brands, AAHHH!!

I know if cost a little more to  go to a Indy shop, but really, in the end you will save money on repairs.  Having the wrong "Blood" in your car is just going to cause trouble.  You can save $15.00 here and there, only to drop $1000.00 later to fix what should not have been broken in the first place.

So please for your car's sake, for your wallets sake, and my personal well being, STAY AWAY FROM GREASE MONKEY (or any other "Lube" shop)! [/Peter Griffen Voice]

Thanks!
Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: First Rant of '08!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »
and here I felt bad about taking mine to a dealer for an oil change.  of course I was 1000 miles from Autobahn, and was due for one. 
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Meh. I was in a hurry ONCE with the Passat and ran it through GM. Ever since, I had oil in my intercooler >:(
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
Dealers are usually fine, but I have seen some questionable things from them too.

I am just on a rant because I have had to fix a ton of stuff on a TT this week, all the result of Dex-Cool in the system, courtesy of GM!  I feel bad for the owner.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
It was because of GM that I got into working on my own cars.  After really cool things like leaving the oil cap off and not tightening the oil filter (2 different visits), I started to think, "hmmmmm, maybe I can change my own oil".  Then I found out what wonderful oil and uber-high end filters they use. 

The oil cap incident was almost a nightmare.  The morning after I had the oil changed, I got in, started it up, and did my normal 30 mile commute to work.  There was oil EVERYWHERE in the engine bay of my Trooper, and I almost ran it dry. 
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
You have to wonder if these tools at the speedy change shops are actually *trying* to screw up peoples' cars. I mean, how could they ALL be so incompetent?

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
hahaha... I'm laughing my ass off... because I know one of those gripes was my friend I sent to Randy.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Whew. For a second I thought you were gonna be ranting about some car with bad valve stem seals that you never want to see again :D
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:19:17 AM »
Which is why I change the oil in my cars myself with OEM filters and Mobil 1.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:40:46 AM »
Randy--

Ok, newbie question here, maybe, but what do you recommend, for anti-freeze and for oil (product and weight)?

Seriously, I'm interested in hearing your advice.  Thanks.

Mike and Lila

ps If that's the only rant you've got, things are going well.  Happy New Year!!!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »
Randy--

Ok, newbie question here, maybe, but what do you recommend, for anti-freeze and for oil (product and weight)?

Seriously, I'm interested in hearing your advice.  Thanks.

Mike and Lila

ps If that's the only rant you've got, things are going well.  Happy New Year!!!

Thanks Mike!

Oil - Pentosyn 5W40 is my first choice.  From personal experience in my own cars and in customer cars it the best for VAG cars.  My Passat has 121,XXX on the clock and the head is spotless.  I just did my Valve Cover Gasket and Cam Gasket @ 115,000 and was amazed at the condition of the head, lifters and cams.

Coolant - Pentosin (same company) G12 or Audi OEM G12 coolant.  Mixed only with distilled water.  As I stated it does not play well with others, so do not mix with anything.

HTH - Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
And if anyone needs any OEM G12, I've got a couple of bottles that I won't be needing.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Oil - Pentosyn 5W40 is my first choice.  From personal experience in my own cars and in customer cars it the best for VAG cars.  My Passat has 121,XXX on the clock and the head is spotless.  I just did my Valve Cover Gasket and Cam Gasket @ 115,000 and was amazed at the condition of the head, lifters and cams.

Coolant - Pentosin (same company) G12 or Audi OEM G12 coolant.  Mixed only with distilled water.  As I stated it does not play well with others, so do not mix with anything.

HTH - Randy

So what's the verdict on G12+?  What is the difference, and is it a straight replacement for G12? 
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
So what's the verdict on G12+?  What is the difference, and is it a straight replacement for G12? 

G12+ is hard to get currently.  It will mix with G12, per Audi.  I have used it once and am a far of it.  I just wish I could get it more often.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
G12+ is hard to get currently.  It will mix with G12, per Audi.  I have used it once and am a far of it.  I just wish I could get it more often.

What's the difference?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »
Dealers are usually fine, but I have seen some questionable things from them too

Could we be referring to ill replaced belly pans???????? :D

The unfortunate thing is that indy shops.....and folks like Randy and Todd are super rare.  The other part of it is that there are a large contingent of folks that have VW's and Audi's that have zero idea as to how tempermental they can be. 

You should have to fill out a questionnaire or sign a waiver once you buy one to insure you will be good responsible owner.

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 05:46:51 PM »
So apparently, it is not just cheapo shops that do questionble things with coolant.  This weekend, I was checking out a 95 S6 Avant.  The owner just had the timing belt/water pump service done a little less than 1000 miles ago.  I look over at the coolant res, and what do I see?  Nice clean, clear, green coolant.  The shop?  Autosport Werks.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:30 PM »
So apparently, it is not just cheapo shops that do questionble things with coolant.  This weekend, I was checking out a 95 S6 Avant.  The owner just had the timing belt/water pump service done a little less than 1000 miles ago.  I look over at the coolant res, and what do I see?  Nice clean, clear, green coolant.  The shop?  Autosport Werks.

Not sure on this, but I dont think they made G12 back in '95.  I bet that has had green coolant since new.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 04:12:03 AM »
Andrew is correct.  The older VAG cars have G10, which is actually Blue in concentrate form and looks green once it is mixed with distilled water.

Here too it is not a good idea to mix or convert cars from the older G10 to G12.

- Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »
Andrew is correct.  The older VAG cars have G10, which is actually Blue in concentrate form and looks green once it is mixed with distilled water.

Here too it is not a good idea to mix or convert cars from the older G10 to G12.

- Randy

Having a 92 I understand.  It was definately not G10 mixed with distilled water.