Poll

Please vote for one

Koni's
2 (28.6%)
APR Chip
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 08, 2004, 11:04:29 AM

Author Topic: What should I do???  (Read 6226 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
What should I do???
« on: March 03, 2004, 03:26:44 PM »
I am torn, so I am asking you, my brethren, for help.

Should I buy a set of Koni Adjustable shocks for $435.00 (shipped) ?

OR

Should I get a APR Chip $500.00 (with instal and programing) ?

**Note – I will be running my stock springs on the car with the Koni’s or if I go with the chip, I will be running all stock suspention.  I am not going to do springs, becasue I do not want to lower my car yet, if I do it will not get up my driveway and into the garage.**
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What should I do???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 03:32:56 PM »
It's always a tough call. There is the one idea that suspension should come first then chip.  Frankly I say whatever the better deal is is probably the way to go.  In both cases deals will come up again.

With the chip you well get insta-grin as soon as it is installed.  At the same time there is potential for problems to show up that weren't apparent before or new things to appear.

With the shocks you will get what you expect from the shocks, and as long as they aren't defective (which I'd doubt they would be) they will be reliable and give you a diifferent ride.  Of course if it is on the GB you are at the mercy of the GB and may have to wait for everyone to pay, shipping and all that.

I guess as long as you can deal with some potential quirks and all seems good the chip is probably the best for overall happiness and instant gratification.  There will always be deals on shocks here and there.   Of course if your shocks are toast then I guess that would be a better idea.

Damn, i didn't help you at all :).  Good luck Randy!!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

What should I do???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 03:32:56 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »
when I did my suspension, I did the springs only as I felt the stock dampers were adequate for my everyday driving conditions.  I feel springs make more of a difference than shocks unless you are out for maximum performance gains.  Springs run about $200-$300...so that is much cheaper than shocks...which you can upgrade later.

Given that your choice is between shocks and chip...I would go chip, unless you are gonna do springs at the same time...then I would do shocks.

cheers
jon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
What should I do???
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 04:30:14 PM »
Ditto on John's remarks...I did springs and no shocks. I hope to do chip in the next couple weeks. I feel for the price, shocks will come as an necessary replacement. Go chip...unless your doing springs as well as shocks.
Hope we help you :biggrin:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
What should I do???
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 05:37:32 PM »
konis.. handeling and looks top all!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

shummer

• Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 05:42:49 PM »
I vote chip because you'll have to do the suspension again when you do get lowering springs...and you will get them...eventually.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
What should I do???
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 06:51:27 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
I vote chip because you'll have to do the suspension again when you do get lowering springs...and you will get them...eventually.

ditto

You'll learn to take the curb into your driveway at an angle to (hopefully) not scrape.  Or just get some springs that don't lower too much (like 1BE or SofSports)
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 07:34:05 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  I see a large voting base for the chip, but I will wait a few days to make the final call.

With respect to my driveway – I HATE IT!  As it is I come in at an angle and go nice and slow, but I just barely clear it with the Votex kit on the front.  In all honesty I do not see lowering the car as a viable option right now.  I would like the benefit of having a stiffer ride but can not really sacrifice clearance.

I completely agree for the “fun” factor the chip is a no brainier.  However I feel my car has plenty of power and speed (and the police in Idaho Springs agree) so I guess I am looking for Performance.  After all what good is speed if you can not hold the turns?
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

velo

• Lightly Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 07:56:59 PM »
Didn't realize you're already having clearance issues.  Can you get a small ramp to place in the gutter of your driveway to improve your clearance?  Your neighbors might hate it, but screw them. :twisted:

I just don't know if new shocks are gonna improve your handling that much.  I'm no expert by any means, but stiffer shocks won't help with body roll in the turns much, right?  You won't be "bouncing" around as much as with the stock shocks, but you'll still have a soft ride.  If you're not ready to lower your car, maybe you should look into getting a rear sway bar and a Chas bar?  The rear sway bar should help flatten out your car in turns and the Chas bar is just a good thing (at a good price).  Then you can wait until you can do both shocks and springs at the same time and save yourself tearing apart your front suspension a 2nd time.

What do the rest of ya think?
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 08:16:50 PM »
The ramp was shot down by the Home Owners Association :twisted: It lasted two days last summer.

The C-Bar is partly responsible for my recent dilemma.  After I installed it at the TB GTG, it helped me realize just how bad the stock suspension is in these cars.  I thought about the rear sway bar, but I an skeptical of the true impact it has – Does anyone have one?
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 08:41:09 PM »
Winston has it...I have also upgraded my sway bar in the Mini, huge difference...and I have driven an H-sport equiped allroad, the difference is outstanding as far as cornering and general handling.  I seriously doubt that Konis will improve your ride to the level you are expecting, seriously doubt it.  damping can be made a little better, but it all comes down to spring rates, and the OEM spring rate is less than to be desired...that will make your biggest difference.  If you are looking to improve cornering, front and rear sway bar upgrades will probably get you more bang per buck than konis would.

If you are not looking to get more speed out of your car, then forget the chip...if handling is your biggest concern, but you don't want to lower it, you will be hard pressed to make any serious differences, especially with stock springs.  Like stated earlier, sway bars, c-bar, strut tower brace bar, that will help to keep the car more level through the corners while at stock height.

just my $0.02.

cheers
jon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What should I do???
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 09:38:14 PM »
Randy, you need airbag suspension holmes. :)

velo

• Lightly Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 09:40:25 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
If you are not looking to get more speed out of your car, then forget the chip...if handling is your biggest concern, but you don't want to lower it, you will be hard pressed to make any serious differences, especially with stock springs.  Like stated earlier, sway bars, c-bar, strut tower brace bar, that will help to keep the car more level through the corners while at stock height.

Nicely summed up Jon.  Randy, I do have a rear sway bar and am recommending it because of the improved handling it provides.  Good luck making up your mind!   :?

Say, does entering your driveway in reverse help any?   :cool:
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 09:41:43 PM »
Now your talking!

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the Allroad I have dreams about.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 09:59:23 PM »
Quote from: "velo"
Say, does entering your driveway in reverse help any?   :cool:

I tried that and almost took the whole front end off :oops:

My neighbor got a good laugh out of it - 'till I got out and kicked his ass  :mad: - J/K

As for making up my mind, I think I am going to go with the... :sly:  :onfire:  :sleepy:  :crazy:  :thumbsup:
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 10:25:33 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the Allroad I have dreams about.

Do it, you can adjust the suspension with a computer.  not only do I have 4 height choices, but I can drop it another inch with VAG, called the 402 mod.  Only takes 3 minutes to drop my car, where it takes something like 3 hours to drop a Passat :-P

The allroad was always a dream of mine as well, so I am now living my dream

RobD

• Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 02:28:46 AM »
Randy, If your car can take a 1/2 - 3/4 inch drop go for the 1BE or nuespeed softsport springs and forget the konis.  If it can't then sell the house and find someplace that will accept a lowered suspension!  As much as I love my chip the suspension makes the biggest difference of all.  If you do decide to sell the house go with the coilovers. :D

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 07:07:34 PM »
Alright, what about this setup?

Neuspeed Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport shocks.
Bilstein Fronts are B36-2081 (not from Neuspeed = no extra grooves)
Bilstein Rears are BE3-2533
Neuspeed springs are 55.10.60

TIA - I know I am a retard when it comes to suspention :oops:
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 08:00:54 PM »
I had softsports with the C-bar as well.  I never scraped, and I have a curb into my driveway...so you might be ok...except that you have the lower air dam on there.

Springs, then shocks, or at the same time, sounds great.  If money is a huge concern, you stock dampers will be good for about 50K anyway, so use 'em till they die.  I felt my ride handled great even with the stock dampers...going around a corner, 4 rmcb5 members in the car, and not to mention a 235-45-17 sticky tire...I felt it handled pretty well.  If you have questions about that cornering experience over a year ago...just ask Pat, Winston, or Alan....I think that was who was in the car when we went to the ATM to get lunch during a garage day at Winstons....but that was a while ago, and I am getting old, memory is not quite what it used to be.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What should I do???
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 08:02:38 PM »
I was one of those fools in the car :)

I too run springs (VW/Eibach Sport) on stock shocks.  Rides fine.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 08:06:51 PM »
What about the clearance issues.

I guess I can park on the street for a while too. :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What should I do???
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2004, 08:08:15 PM »
Eibach sports are probably too low for you.  I wish it was an easy swap so you could test it out and if it didn;t work swap back.  I mean you can, but it's not easy :).

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2004, 02:18:23 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I was one of those fools in the car :)

Oops, sorry Jay, thanks for reminding me.  That was a killer day.  See how old I am getting, can hardly remember anything these days. :blush:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
What should I do???
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 02:47:17 AM »
I got Neuspeed Sports on stock shocks...working fine at 56K. I'm feeling a little more squishyness, but I'm gonna go through the summer with the setup....
I do however slam every single freakin' speed bump! :mad:  There are far too many in the world :sneaky:
...oh and for the record...I bought Mark's leftover GIAC chip :D Yeah!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 03:39:48 AM »
Hey Randy, I would have to say suspension first man, and here's why:

With the chip, you get a lot more power.  You then expose the bigger issue than lack of power...the slack suspension.  The Chasbar helps a lot with the fell, but the biggest difference you can make is with the suspension.  

Then the car is fun to drive fast and slow.

Then after you learn to drive with the new suspension, add power.  Power without control...and you already have the wheels and tires.
Once you chip it, get ready to replace the diverter valve, the hoses, maybe MAF.

Also, post a pic of your driveway.  I bet we could do a "mod" Randy's driveway day.  I've been wanting a sledgehammer...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
What should I do???
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 10:55:11 AM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

Also, post a pic of your driveway.  I bet we could do a "mod" Randy's driveway day.  I've been wanting a sledgehammer...

Hehehe...I've done commercial concrete work :twisted:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What should I do???
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

Hehehe...I've done commercial concrete work :twisted:

It' Hamma Time, daaa-du-du-du... :P

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 02:42:30 PM »
I like to the "Randy Drive-Way Mod"  I will post a picture as soon as all the snow melts and I can get a good angle of the f-ing thing.

I have just bought the suspention so we are one step closer.

Thank you for all the advice and I am looking forward to upgrade.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

velo

• Lightly Modded
What should I do???
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »
I've done a little concrete form work in the past as well.  If your HOA won't let you put a ramp in your gutter, ask them if you can tear out the curb and put in a smaller one.  Or better yet, just do it and let them complain that you didn't ask them first.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
What should I do???
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 03:51:15 PM »
Be the Chairman of he HOA....
Speaking of which, I've gotta figure how to get on the HOA as I'm moving into one :sly:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner