Author Topic: Contact Cement Part #B  (Read 6557 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Contact Cement Part #B
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:47:54 PM »
Well, 2nd time is a charm, right?  I have a headache again from smelling contact cement all day, well, just the afternoon anyway.  I am in the process of re-doing the MINI again, this time, all the way up to the headliner.  Blue Suede :) well, suede like material like alcantara.

Just wanted to report that the stuff still makes me dizzy.
 ;D :D

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Re: Contact Cement Part #B
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
WOW.  You must be getting really good at this by now.

Let me ask this, where are you getting your material and what type of contact cement are you using?  I have been wanting to redo the GTI headliner and sides in black to go for a black on black theme.  There is a monster thread on Vortex under the MkIV forum that has really got me interested in this.  But, a number of people are having issues with the material staying put in the summer due to high heat.

Here is the thread link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2983920
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
I got my stuff here, this is just the suede section, but they have a ton of other stuff.
http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/suede.html

I use DAP contact cement, used for holding on counter laminates, very sticky.  My car won't be out in the sun a ton, so heat is not much of an issue for me.  The spray adhesives DON't work.  It even says so on the car, not for use in car headliners....not sticky enough.  the 3M "77 spray adhesive" is what most people use, and they fail.  I bought a gallon can of the DAP contact cement from Lowes, and brush it on.  I do sections as it dries quickly enough to warrant that type of application.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
Thank you.  When you applied the new fabric, did you remove the OEM fabric and padding or just overlay it?  It seems like most folks just put the new fabric over the old.

I hope to see pictures of your new setup when done.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:29:33 PM by SweetVW »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »
new over the old as the old is adhered to the cardboard mold.  Pulling it off would affect the integrity of the molded board.

I will have pics when it is done, but as I am doing the dash, door cards an interior back panels, it will be some time.  I am sewing everything myself, although I do have a sewing machine this go around.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »
Suede eh? You're a star now :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
 :D ;D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
the dash and door cards are being re-done to match the blue/black alcantara on the steering wheel and headliner and a,b,c pillars.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
thats looking sweet.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
the c pillar area.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
Wow!!!

I am definitely lovin' the suede. You are doing a great job.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
better shots with the seats for color comparo.  still looks better in person, my point and shoot camera just does not do it justice.  Can't wait to get the back panels done, going to start to work on those tomorrow.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »

first time ever using a sewing machine, took me for ever to set it up, but I got it done and did some practice.  Sewing through a cow hide is a huge PITA, but at least I have the dash done, only 2 more sections on the door cards and that is all the leather.  The fake suede goes together really well.  I am most happy with that.  So, on the top of the dash is the cow hide, then the bulge is the blue suede, and the front/side and lower sectons of the dash will be black suede.  The vent is being painted Indi Blue to match the car, and the bulge, and I will re-use the chrome side vents from the other dash as I really like those and the contrast they provide.

So, there you have it, done for the week, still need to attach the lower part of the dash, but that can wait until next week.  Time to eat dinner and then sit in front of the TV and watch the 2 new episodes of Chuck that are on tonight.

:)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
test fit of the dash cover...not fully back in place, still has about 3/4" to go back, but just wanted to check it for match and fit.  Can't say that I am unhappy.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
P-I-M-P PIMP!
I lub me some carbon + alcantara.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
Jon - that is really looking awesome
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
Well, it's official.  Jon owns a shaggin wagon.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »
here is an idea of what the panels will look like, old tan next to new blue.  door cards will be similar.

ps...I think I am totally stoned from fumes from the spray paint and contact cement....I am supposed to be studying for a work related exam tomorrow, but I can't focus.  Maybe I am just hungry, hehe.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »

This one shows where I screwed  up the stitching, the bobbin thingy got tangles and the machine stopped stitching, so I have to re-do some portions.  Not bad, but if someone looks close, it looks like butt.

on this one you can see the bubbles and puckers, etc.  some in the blue, some in the black.  I still need to finish creating the 2 stitched upper panels for where it connects to the b and c pillars, which I will do tomorrow afternoon, then a bit of touch up, and it will be ready to toss in the car!!!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
thats looking really good!

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 09:12:39 PM »
Jon, that looks great! Can't wait to see it in person!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »
Mike, do you have a fisheye lens?  I might want you to take some pics of the interior when it is done.  You have better skillz than I do, and I would like  your help.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
Simply amazing work!  I really commend you for the hard work and effort.  I bet you can't wait for warmer weather and getting her out on the road.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
seriously, I want the roads to clear of ice and gravel, then enjoy some summer cruising.  Right now, I find myself just sitting in the garage, looking at the car, wanting to be out there driving. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »
spent today ripping the new door cards apart, sanding and painting the hoops, and laid down some carbon fiber on the door arm rests.  Still trying to decide if I want t leave the arm pads leather, or switch them to black suede.  I have some black leather handle pulls that will be on the angled section, as those will have a lot of wear, but the arm rests on the older doors do not stick out far, so they rarely get use.  At least I have time to decide, door hoops will be drying for several weeks before install to allow the paint to fully cure/set before re-installation

anyhooooo, here are some close up shots of the carbon fiber over-lay, and yes, it is real carbon fiber :), but looks a bit different (slight different weave, more black, less bronze in color) than the JCW dash, so I am also not totally sold on it yet....again, I have time to decide, and time to remove it and start over.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 02:33:32 AM »
very nice work.
now I wanna see some vacuum markings so I could draw some crude stuff on your headliner!!!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »
LOL....that reminds me of Pat's ole saying...HLM...Head Liner Mod :)

here is what I did with my left over CF...sportin the new CF money clip :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
leather door pull in place, test fit of newly painted hoop pieces.  Now I just need to cover the panel in leather and suede.  I like how the arm piece came out, so I am leaving it, love the carbon/leather look and the darkness of it.  Blue suede will be behind it, and black leather and suede around the outside of the hoop. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
did the rear wiper delete today....used a headset cap in it's place :)