Author Topic: The time is coming...  (Read 3065 times)

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
The time is coming...
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »
Well, it's coming up, the timing belt replacement. instead of spending ~900 to replace it, I decided it would be better to do it myself, save some money, and learn something about my engine in the process. So I was wondering what you guys have used as far as kits for replacing the timing belt and accessories. I was hoping to replace the parts with something better than OEM.

I was also hoping that someone who has done this job before could help me out with it. I would rather have someone with experience than screw something up and have to do it all over again. I would of course work out a way to reimburse whoever helps me out...

thanks in advance!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: The time is coming...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:55 AM »
I know a bunch of people get kits from www.ecstuning.com for the Audi and VW motors.  I know there are other places.  I think the only thing you really want to upgrade is the water pump, but the pulleys are basically the same no matter what.

You might also want to check with Randy at Autobahn, he might be able to source you all the parts you need, and coolant stuff, for a really decent price.  and he is Local, not mail order.

I have only done 1.8T belts, never a V6 2.8T, but I know there are write ups on Audiworld.  I do believe you will need a cam tool to keep the 2 heads from spinning independently, but there are places where you can rent those, I believe.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:55 AM »

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:33 AM »
i never heard of timing belt replacements till i got an audi. i assume most cars should be doing this as well... anyways why does this have to be done every 50-60k. i know about the inference aspect and the valves crashing into the pistons for a catasrophic engine failure. is it the belt that goes bad after 50-60k or is the the tensioner? and if its the tensioner then why has someone not come up with a better one yet?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:51:11 AM »
It's commonly one of the components. Audi/VW starting at least with the B5/MKIV gen said 100K for the replacement. The issue is things like the tensioner were failing much sooner.

The catch there is the service intervals. At like 60K they check the tensioner...then you aren't due to check again until 80K I believe. 20K miles is a lot of miles for something to go wrong. When it does fail folks are typically in this time frame.

Randy can shed more light on that, but as a community member and witnessing many a posting about failures it's best to suck it up and be proactive.

For what it's worth Honda's have timing belts too that need replacement often.

The parts are relatively inexpensive, it's the labor that is the bear in the whole process.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:59 AM »
I was looking at ecs and their prices seem to be very reasonable compared to what I have heard.

I am at 114,000 and have no intention of rebuilding an engine...

doesn't the frequency have something to do with us having a belt and not a chain?
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »
yes, belts obviously need to be replaced much sooner than a chain, they are just pretty much the same as any belt on a car, just more involved.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
Well...if you need the camshaft locking tool, to lock the cams to TDC, I actually have one.  I did a timing belt on my A4 2.8 years ago, but don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.  You can use it or buy it, whatever.  It pretty much just sits around here and takes up space.  Let me know if you need it. I think it's $150 or $200 if you buy it new.  E-Mail is good: ben.hase@hotmail.com
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
The cam tool is different for a Audi 90.  It is a 2 valve motor, with a shorter span between the heads.

If is not a hard job, but I would make sure you have someone to help.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
my question is then why has someone not made an improved tensioner that can withstand the 100k? seems to me like everyone any their brother would buy it, as long as it has good results...

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »
my question is then why has someone not made an improved tensioner that can withstand the 100k? seems to me like everyone any their brother would buy it, as long as it has good results...

Lol - "I can take a dump in a box and tell you it will last 100K, but..."

Seriously though, domestics/other imports have to be bombproof because Americans drive way more than Europeans, and most Americans seriously lack in the service department.  Heck, I would bet 90% of Americans don't check their oil when getting gas   :P

So, regular maintenance just comes with owning a Euro vehicle.  It's a thing most Euro owners deal with because they are far superior cars to domestics and other imports.  Our cars will be on the road longer than the domestic counterpart as long as they get the regular service interval and proper (OEM) part replacement.

I have fun counting all the Grand Am's on the road. ???
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
So is the cam tool for a 2.8L engine the same as for the 2.7T engine? Seems like it might be, but you never know with Audi.  ::)

I;ve got 45K on my car so it'll be coming time for mine in a year or so. :(
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!