Author Topic: more Minis for Jon!  (Read 1668 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
more Minis for Jon!
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
These anniversay editions look hot:

Mini used its 50th birthday celebrations held at Silverstone last weekend to launch three new limited-edtion models: the Mini Mayfair, the Mini Camden and the Mini John Cooper Works World Championship 50.

The Mini Camden, available in Cooper, Cooper S or Cooper D guise, gets bespoke 17-inch alloys, a solid white roof, and is available in Midnight Black, White Silver, and Horizon Blue. It starts from £18,165.

The Mini Mayfair, £300 more than the Camden, comes in Pepper White, Midnight Black or Hot Chocolate, and is fitted with toffee-coloured leather seats and 17-inch wheels. Like the Mayfair, the Mini Camden is also available in Cooper, Cooper S and Cooper D forms.

The final special edition is the Mini John Cooper Works World Championship 50. Only 250 will be made, finished in green with black alloys. Prices for the John Cooper Works World Championship 50 are yet to be confirmed.

The Mini Camden and Mayfair start from £18,165 and £18,415 respectively and deliveries start in August. The special editions will be produced for one year.

Here's a sneak peek at the 2011 Mini:

These scoop pictures show a full-size design proposal for the next-generation Mini, which sources say is close to being given the green light.

Expected in early 2011, the car has been given a new exterior treatment, even though it is based on today’s Mini.

BMW’s Munich-based design team has decided to move the Mini design language on a generation, introducing a wedge-like look to the car, as well as adding more ‘sculpture’ to the car’s flanks.

Inside, the Mini gets another makeover, although much of the switchgear will be carried over from today’s car. Some sources say that the interior pictured here may find its way into next year’s Mini Crossover first.

Judging by these spy shots, BMW has gone to considerable expense in re-engineering the Mini’s body. This model seems to show that the new car will have a clamshell tailgate, as well a new nose design with a much shorter bonnet and new one-piece bumper moulding.

Perhaps the biggest change is a more rising waistline, which, combined with the sloping roof, gives the Mini a much more dynamic and coupé-like appearance. The clamshell shut line is said to be a direct reference to the rear body seam of the original Austin Mini.

Although the new Mini sticks to the philosophy of design boss Gert Hildebrand (he says the car should be made from three slices – roof, windows and body side), it is much more poised than today’s car.

Hildebrand has also reworked the ‘trapezoidal’ rear lamps, bringing them proud of the body in another nod to the original Austin Mini.

At the front the Mini gets more aggressive headlamps, which are no longer round but subtly four-sided. The shortened bonnet (today’s car has one-piece steel clamshell bonnet) is a direct result of pedestrian protection regs.

In future, the nose will be a softer one-piece plastic moulding. The grille and lower air intake are larger, suggesting that the Mini 3 will have BMW’s Valvetronic engines, including larger units than today’s 1.6-litre motor.

Inside BMW’s stylists have changed the dash’s appearance with new upper and lower mouldings and a different central speedo. However, the lower half of the centre console (including the climate controls and gearstick surround) remains the same, as do the steering and circular air vents.

The new Mini is likely to pitched as more of a sporting three-door coupé and less of a compact hatch. By pushing it as a rival for the Audi TT, at around £10,000 less, BMW hopes to secure higher showroom ‘transaction prices’.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:23:01 PM by aowhaus »
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: more Minis for Jon!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »
I don't understand why ....wait....my thoughts changed mid-tying.
I was going to say, "I don't understand why manufacturers put out special editions when the only thing special about them is a different set of wheels, or color or something.  If you're going to do a special edition, make it special."
But then I realized it's just another way for manufacturers to make a few extra bucks.  It'll hardly cost them anything to put these out.  Some people will think they're the coolest things around and be happy to fork out extra dough for what is essentially the same car.
Carry on....
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »
well, my cars are all "special editions"....you guys know what I end up doing to my cars. :).  I just ordered a ton of carbon fiber for wraps, and some dark brown leather, and dark brown alcantara, hehe.

My minivan will be a very "special" edition, for sure.

But regardless, I like those MINIS, and the new sneak peak at the 2011 looks GREAT.  I just love MINIs, it is a sickness ;D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
I agree with Pat. The black and green one is pretty sic, but then you'd just need a set of headlights, wheels and a front dressing to make your stock one look like that. Probably cheaper.

Did you know it's cheaper for me to put in a bigger turbo than buy a faster car? LOL Read: Cheaper to buy parts than buy the whole damn thing. I think Jon's going about the right way...for being addicted to Mini's like an addict to crack.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
I don't understand why ....wait....my thoughts changed mid-tying.
I was going to say, "I don't understand why manufacturers put out special editions when the only thing special about them is a different set of wheels, or color or something.  If you're going to do a special edition, make it special."
But then I realized it's just another way for manufacturers to make a few extra bucks.  It'll hardly cost them anything to put these out.  Some people will think they're the coolest things around and be happy to fork out extra dough for what is essentially the same car.
Carry on....

+2!

...Mazda/Honda etc usually do a "special addition" or "Anniversary Edition" that consists of nothing more than a new color, wheels, and a sunroof -right before they roll out a major design change.

Remember the Miata M edition? Wasn't it just green and tan (with a $3k price hike?) If they ever put a rotary in a Miata- now that would count as a "special" edition in my book.  ;D

09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:07:58 AM »
That reminds me of the Wolfsburg Edition 2001 Jetta, however it had some decent goodies, like the BBS 16" two piece wheels... and the sport suspension, Wolfsburg badging...
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!