Author Topic: change of plan, not getting a new rover today, but flying to tulsa to get one  (Read 1360 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
tomorrow.   ;D

the one here was sliver:

and was less expensive than the one in tulsa which is blue:

BUT, the one there has about half the miles.  and it still has 40K miles of warranty left vs 4K left for the one locally.  and, the nail in the coffin of the local one: it started its life as a rental car for hertz.  I dont want to know what kind of abuse it went through.

To me the price difference ended up being worth the hassle of flying to tulsa tomorrow to go get it.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
LOL, you're nutz! Have a safe trip.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

English

• Lightly Modded
Nice, love the blue....still, the silver is not bad either!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

gragravar

• Supercar
I like the blue better, but the silver was OK.

the rental car history, lower miles and lots of warranty were what really made the difference.

I'll try to post from tulsa tomorrow.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

English

• Lightly Modded
Ok, have a safe trip!
On a tangent......picking up another set of "Hurricane" rims on monday and getting them powdercoated. Thinking of "Satin black" should look good as the rims i have now have seen a couple of winters and the lacquer is flaking. I'll post up picks when i get them mounted.
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
You crazy :) Of course, I flew to Cali to by mine so I have no room to speak.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
I flew in and drove my 968 back from OK City last summer.  It was 105 in the car until close to sundown.  No, the AC did not work.  I put the RH window up to make a phone call and it stuck.  I also left the top up for shade and also because I needed to inspect the workings to be sure it was safe to put up and down, tested it when I got home at 2:30am and it stuck in the down position.  At a gas stop it dumped a bunch of coolant, I would have freaked out if I had not seen that before (bad rad cap.)  I got a good deal on it, I suspect the seller thought it had a blown headgasket.

All that stuff was easy to fix and the car ran perfectly all the way.

All in all I had a pretty good time though, free sweat lodge!

One other long distance buy did not go so well.  I flew to Dallas to buy an Astro AWD .  The Ebay seller had a great rep and had a long inspection report showing everything 'excellent' except some minor thing.  I got to the place around closing time and it all looked good.  I did not expect perfection.

I got on the road and the steering was so bad I thought it must have a flat tire.  Oh, and the AC did not work (was inspected and 'excellent' as was the steering and tires.)  The front tires were worn on the inside nearly to the belts and the front end was so shot it was scary to drive.  I came close to buying some used front tires to make the drive they were so bad.  Naturally the dealership had closed up by the time I discovered all this and I had no other easy way to get home, so I took it really easy and just drove it.  I made it although it was fatiguing to drive with the bad handling and I kept it slow and in the RH lane the whole way.

The dealer eventually gave me $750 to get the front end done and the front tires replaced.  I think the steering box was kinda worn and it never quite ran right.  It might have been a flood car.  It had also been a rental in it's past.  Overall not the best buy ever.  Ah well.

I've decided I'll pay at least $1000 more for a local car, maybe $1500.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l