Author Topic: Joining the ranks!  (Read 6578 times)

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
Joining the ranks!
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Howdy All,

Tiffany here, most call me Dizzle though. Just picked up an '02 A4 over the weekend and dubaudi suggested I sign up here. I actually have had 2 Jettas and a Scirocco (my first car!!!) in my time and grew up being hauled around in my moms old VW Bug!!! Good times.

Hoping to find soem folks to hang with and chill...and to help me with the little things I find on my new ride. I come from the world of Jeeps, but Dub Love runs through my veins :D

Hope to meet many of you guys soon, last VW/Audi event I was at was DATR in '06 (I think it was '06).

Later!
Dizzle
~Dizzle

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Joining the ranks!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
Welcome Dizzle!

Everyone will be begging for pics of the ride, so if you have any post them up. We are a pretty laid back bunch with great combined knowledge. We have lots of great information in the forums and most everyone is willing to lend a hand or at least help troubleshoot any problems you might run into.

Look forward to meeting you at a future event, as the weather gets warmer we should be having some garage days and get togethers.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »
Welcome!

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
Welcome Dizzle!

Everyone will be begging for pics of the ride, so if you have any post them up. We are a pretty laid back bunch with great combined knowledge. We have lots of great information in the forums and most everyone is willing to lend a hand or at least help troubleshoot any problems you might run into.

Look forward to meeting you at a future event, as the weather gets warmer we should be having some garage days and get togethers.

I can post up a few when I get home. Its your basic stock Dolphin Grey B6 A4...for now.

Right now I am trying to figure out a headlight issue...as in why mine totally suck!!! I think its just an aiming correctly issue, but night driving is very sketch right now due to them seemingly pointing directly at the ground.
~Dizzle

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
Do you have HID's or just the standard Halogen? If you have HID's they should auto level and it could need to be reset or possibly the level motors are our of whack. Though I doubt both would go out at the same time and behave that way.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »
Do you have HID's or just the standard Halogen? If you have HID's they should auto level and it could need to be reset or possibly the level motors are our of whack. Though I doubt both would go out at the same time and behave that way.
I have no clue. Been trying to figure that out since last night via pics and explanations and still confused as heck over what type of lights I have.

Can I take the VIN to a dealership and they give me a build sheet like you can with a Jeep or Dodge?
~Dizzle

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
The VIN should provide the details you need. So yes, contact the dealer and they should be able to tell you all the options/packages the car was delivered with.

It's a good idea anyway to make sure any/all recalls have been completed.

There are some online VIN decoders you can try using as well. They can be hit and miss. Just search for audi vin decoder

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:47:13 AM »
Hey Tiff. :D   You are everywhere these days.  :P

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:27:43 AM »
Hey Tiff. :D   You are everywhere these days.  :P

:D I sold the XJ to get the A4, I gotta get up to speed!!!

I have been on the fringe of the VW scene for years, just finally in a position to own the car and afford the mods...and the last few years of Jeepin really helped me get a feel for what I want to do.

:)
~Dizzle

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
Welcome, I think you will find this group a fun and knowledgeable one. They can answer just about anything for your car!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
Welcome!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
welcome to the club.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »
Welcome.

I would the difference between HID's and halogens would be obvious...HID's= super bright. Halogens=the suck.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
Welcome aboard and enjoy the great folks here.  There is an incredible amount of knowledge to be gleamed from this site.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
Welcome.

I would the difference between HID's and halogens would be obvious...HID's= super bright. Halogens=the suck.

My problem is that the lights are pointed to the ground so they could be spotlights and they still wouldnt help me right now. LOL!

It did finally dawn on me that HID or Halogen, shouldn't matter as far as adjustment goes right?
~Dizzle

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »
My problem is that the lights are pointed to the ground so they could be spotlights and they still wouldnt help me right now. LOL!

It did finally dawn on me that HID or Halogen, shouldn't matter as far as adjustment goes right?

it does matter.  since factory HID's have a self leveling mechanisim you'll need to use a vag-com to zero out the leveler before doing any aim adjustment.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
it does matter.  since factory HID's have a self leveling mechanisim you'll need to use a vag-com to zero out the leveler before doing any aim adjustment.

Not entirely true. Mine were aftermarket and did have anything so to keep my dash clear of "out of level" warnings, I had to recode the lights to halogens.

It sounds like it could simply be a bad original light install. Either way, if they're pointed near straight down, it's going to do nobody any good.

EDIT: Just saw her pics...those are projector housings so I'm placing money on un-level HIDs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:47:42 PM by jayryan »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »
Not entirely true. Mine were aftermarket and did have anything so to keep my dash clear of "out of level" warnings, I had to recode the lights to halogens.

It sounds like it could simply be a bad original light install. Either way, if they're pointed near straight down, it's going to do nobody any good.

EDIT: Just saw her pics...those are projector housings so I'm placing money on un-level HIDs.

OK, I am going to go take a direct picture of my lights...
~Dizzle

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »

That is what the housing and lights look like if that helps the issue any
~Dizzle

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »

JR you are correct in terms of aftermarket, but prior to the posting of the pictures, from a purely factory application then HIDs motor, Halogen manual.

However, now that we have pics! Get together with someone with a VAG-COM and they should be able to help you get those level. You can also check for any stored codes, such as ones that might be thrown in relation to the lights being out of whack.

Check the AudiWorld forums as well, there should be a default code setting for the lights. My guess is someone messed aorund with the settings and put in a bad code. There are some re-coding things you can do with these cars to get different behavior. Such as using the remote key fob to operate the windows/sunroof and so forth.

If the wrong instructions are used or the incorrect code for the options the car has there can be some negative results. I;m not saying this is exactly from that, but I suspect someone played around with recoding and it caused the lights to aim way down.

Otherwise it's possible that with a fault they do it automagically? When you turn the lights on they are supposed to auto level, and since they aren't that's what you need to try and find out. It either thinks down is level or something is hosed up.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:19 PM »
JR you are correct in terms of aftermarket, but prior to the posting of the pictures, from a purely factory application then HIDs motor, Halogen manual.

However, now that we have pics! Get together with someone with a VAG-COM and they should be able to help you get those level. You can also check for any stored codes, such as ones that might be thrown in relation to the lights being out of whack.

Check the AudiWorld forums as well, there should be a default code setting for the lights. My guess is someone messed aorund with the settings and put in a bad code. There are some re-coding things you can do with these cars to get different behavior. Such as using the remote key fob to operate the windows/sunroof and so forth.

If the wrong instructions are used or the incorrect code for the options the car has there can be some negative results. I;m not saying this is exactly from that, but I suspect someone played around with recoding and it caused the lights to aim way down.

Otherwise it's possible that with a fault they do it automagically? When you turn the lights on they are supposed to auto level, and since they aren't that's what you need to try and find out. It either thinks down is level or something is hosed up.

Oh cool...glad the picture helped. So its either find someone with a VAG-COM or the dealer to get this fixed.

OK, so who here has a VAG-COM and would be willing to help me out ;D I am more than happy to travel to your location, but if ya hapen to be close to Aurora or DTC that would be pretty dang cool...LOL!

Thanks for the help guys!
~Dizzle

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
I would be happy to look at the car for you.  The shop is just off Santa Fe on West Evans.

- Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »
Always take your car to randy when it needs help.

I'd offer to help but My prodiag doesnt seem to like talking to the B6 and B7 audis.  Works for my C5 and for the B5's but not so much for the newer ones.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
I would be happy to look at the car for you.  The shop is just off Santa Fe on West Evans.

- Randy

Are you open on Saturdays?
~Dizzle

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
Yup, Yup Randy is tha man!  I won't let anyone else touch my cars.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »
Nevermind, saw your hours listed on your site. I will see if I can break free tomorrow to head over there, but will give you a call in the morning first.

Thanks!
~Dizzle