Author Topic: My drivers door will not open from the outside...  (Read 1586 times)

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
My drivers door will not open from the outside...
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
it works just fine from the inside but out of no where it stopped opening from the outside this evening.  the door was frozen so i took the palm of my hand and smacked all around the perimeter of the door. i tried to open it and it wouldn't. i climbed in the backseat the used the handle from the inside and it opened right up......
ugh i have tried to take the inside panel off my door before before to look at my speaker and it was a pain in the ass so i stopped halfway through and put it back together.  any insights would help...

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Re: My drivers door will not open from the outside...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:05:50 AM »
Is the handle action on the outside different at all? like flopping around.
I have never dealt with this on an A4 before but had the handle on my 99 Blazer come loose. I had to take the door card out to get at the guts I'm guessing your going to have to do the same.

Good luck.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:05:50 AM »

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:50:32 AM »
no the outside handle feels the same as always. i am not familar with how the mechanism for the outside handle works, maybe it has a rod that connects i dont know. hopefully nothing is broke and its just unhooked. HOPEFULLY!

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:37:25 PM »
Same thing happened on my '87 Quattro.  I used to do the old Chinese fire drill technique to get inside, or leave the drivers side door slightly open so I didn't look like a complete fool in front of whoever was watching at the time!  Come to think of it, I never did get that damn door fixed.....
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

zmaninco

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:53:47 AM »
There is likely no need to take off the inside panel.  First remove the external lock.  There is a short cable that connects the moving door handle to the internal lock mechanism.  This cable hooks on the lock mechanism and must be rotated to take off...so I doubt that is your problem.  The end that connects to the external handle has a plastic sleeve on the end that locks into the handle.  Once you remove the lock, look for that cable.  It likely popped off.

To remove the lock, look in the door jam on the door, directly horizontally across from the lock.  You will see a plastic plug approximatley 15mm in diameter.  Pop out that plug.  Inside you will see a gold colored bolt.  That bolt will either be a small torx head or a small triple square.  Loosen that bolt - it controls the lock ring that holds in the lock.  As you unscrew it (counterclockwise) the ring will rotate.  You will unscrew this until the ring rotates enough to release the lock.  Pull on the door handle to give a little extra room, and the lock will pop out.

Some folks say if you unscew that screw too much it will disconnect from the lock ring and you will have to takethe door apart to reassemble.  That has not been my experience - the screw will not easily come off the ring.  You will unscrew it a lot - maybe 15 to 20 turns?

And a word of caution.  When you unscrew the lock ring enough to remove the lock, the lock ring interferes with the handle - so you will notice it no lnger pulls out all the way.  Just screw in the screw 3-4 turns and the interference is gone.

Finally, if the end of the cable popped off the external door handle, you can simply push it back in place.  The plastic end is shaped like a half circle, and you will see the trough in the handle is much longer than the plastic end.  Place the end in the trough at the end closest to the inside of the door.  This is very important!  If you push it in close to the outside of the door, the door lock cannot reset and the external door handle will not open the door.

Good luck!

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
There is likely no need to take off the inside panel.  First remove the external lock.  There is a short cable that connects the moving door handle to the internal lock mechanism.  This cable hooks on the lock mechanism and must be rotated to take off...so I doubt that is your problem.  The end that connects to the external handle has a plastic sleeve on the end that locks into the handle.  Once you remove the lock, look for that cable.  It likely popped off.

To remove the lock, look in the door jam on the door, directly horizontally across from the lock.  You will see a plastic plug approximatley 15mm in diameter.  Pop out that plug.  Inside you will see a gold colored bolt.  That bolt will either be a small torx head or a small triple square.  Loosen that bolt - it controls the lock ring that holds in the lock.  As you unscrew it (counterclockwise) the ring will rotate.  You will unscrew this until the ring rotates enough to release the lock.  Pull on the door handle to give a little extra room, and the lock will pop out.

Some folks say if you unscew that screw too much it will disconnect from the lock ring and you will have to takethe door apart to reassemble.  That has not been my experience - the screw will not easily come off the ring.  You will unscrew it a lot - maybe 15 to 20 turns?

And a word of caution.  When you unscrew the lock ring enough to remove the lock, the lock ring interferes with the handle - so you will notice it no lnger pulls out all the way.  Just screw in the screw 3-4 turns and the interference is gone.

Finally, if the end of the cable popped off the external door handle, you can simply push it back in place.  The plastic end is shaped like a half circle, and you will see the trough in the handle is much longer than the plastic end.  Place the end in the trough at the end closest to the inside of the door.  This is very important!  If you push it in close to the outside of the door, the door lock cannot reset and the external door handle will not open the door.

Good luck!

???The inside of my S4 door looks NOTHING like anything you have discribed. Not even in teh ball park.  I;m pretty sure the original poster has an A4 or S4. There are no cables, it is 2 pushrods. One for the inner handle and one for the outer. You MUST take off the inner door panel to access them.

My car had the same problem and it was a matter of adjusting the pushrod slightly. (very slightly).

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »

Good luck!

Actually my 2000 Passat has this cable.  It is possible depending on the year and model that the mechanism changed.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
Which was the point. I think the original poster has a different car and a different mechanism.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
got a chance to take a look at it and it has the push rod design and it was disconnected to the handle portion. got it back on there and put a dab of gorilla glue on it to make sure it does not unhook again. thanks guys door works like new again.