Author Topic: Painful things in life...the Audi UrS4 oil drain plug  (Read 3504 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Painful things in life...the Audi UrS4 oil drain plug
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »
I have had an easier time removing 30 year old rusted on bolts of my Scout then even trying to get this thing to budge.

At first I was all upset because I thought it had been overtightened, which is possible, but then I read story after story of the same issue. Seemingly impossible to budge and stripped heads galore.

While calming down and researching I found a few recommendations for a nifty little quick drain valve:

https://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T207

So I ordered one. Seem like a nice thing to have. I also finally picked up some rhino ramps today. They rule! ~$35 @ Checker.

I tried changing the oil last weekend, but had to give up because of this plug. Tried again today after getting the ramps so I could have better leverage under the car. No luck.

I'm hitting the slopes tomorrow so I will try to spray some PB Blaster on there before I leave (Audi is staying home) and maybe give it a shot when I get back.

If not, then hopefully the valve will be in by next weekend so I can change the oil and replace the plug bolt with the valve.

Oh, I almost ordered my HID kit today, but then I saw shipping was $30 bringing it to $72 shipped. Still not a bad deal but I was pissed off at the shipping so I decided to wait a few days. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Painful things in life...the Audi UrS4 oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:09:16 AM »
that quick drain valve will be a good thing.  hope the PB works for you.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:09:16 AM »

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:20:04 AM »
that's looks really cool Jay, if you get it, I would be interested in knowing how it turns out. I always have a hard time loosening mine, even when I know I tightened just the right amount.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 01:30:09 AM »
Yeah, it's the whole aluminum pan, steel bolt issue. Since they don't expand and contract at the same temps it gets damn tight.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 04:33:29 AM »
Any updates on this Jay?
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
Well the new Fumoto oil drain valve is in place, but since I needed the expertise of APS to remove the pesky plug I had them change the oil at the same time.

I should be due for an oil change in about 2K miles. So far so good though, no leaks. :)

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Personally I've seen too many scuffed oil drain plugs to be on board with a valve, but if it's well-protected it might be OK.  Spring thaw, early AM canyon drives, nice big rocks appearing in the roads...

A good trick to unstick frozen stuff is to bang it with a hammer and a drift a few times.  The shock will help loosen the threads (this is called 'waking up' the threads.)  Then I like to tap the wrench with a hammer to carefully give it an impact-wrench-like treatment.  If you are in a tough spot you can superglue on a 6-point socket (or JB weld if you must, but the socket might never get used again.) and then tap on a breaker bar.  The superglued bolt comes out of the socket easily enough.  The gluing is really just to allow you to focus more on carefully removing the bolt rather than maintaining the wrench/bolt interface as well.  With a drain plug you might have enough space to hold the wrench and preload it with one hand and tap away with the other.

Those combi wrenches that use bumps to ride of the flats of bolt heads are kinda good for this, and there is a handy spot to tap on them where the handle flares out to the open end.  Make sure it's preloaded so the shock from the hammer tap goes straight to the threads.

That being said I just used the impact gun on the axle fill plug on my 4runner and if the socket fitted tightly on an oil drain plug I might well use it there too (sloppy socket fit = bad news as the impact goes to the head and not to the threads.)

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
The valve isn't just going to open on it's own, not sure what valves you've seen. If you are hitting that big of a rock at your oil pan, the plug is going to probably be the last thing you need to worry about. i would be more concerned about a gaping hole in the pan.

Plus, if your car is equipped with a belly pan the issue of the valve getting hit at all should be non existent, but again if you hit something that big and that hard, I really don't think the valve is going to be your biggest concern.

Obviously, like any other decision on what an owner does to/for their car is for them, not anyone else. I had a need, found a product that fulfilled my need after trying the tricks to loosen my plug failed.

For what it's worth, it was no easy task for Todd to get is loose as well and he was the one that put it on last. He had the advantage of a lift and lots of leverage.

So yeah, if you have no trouble, might as well stick with what works. I needed an alternative and found a solution to my problem. :)