Author Topic: Where to get new key cut?  (Read 6943 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Re: Where to get new key cut?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »
I had mine cut a few yeats back so it is entirely possible that they changed policies.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
I am rolling out now. 720-207-7132...give me a shout I should be in Boulder by about 10ish and have a bit more time to hang out for lunch now.

~Dizzle

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
All right I'll plan to meet up in Broomfield and see if that works.

Deli Zone at 10:30-10:45?  It's on the Frontage Road NW of 10th and 287.

*update*  It's not really a frontage road, but you can get there if you go into the convenience store parking lot at 10th and 287 (NW side) and work your way North.
-Joel.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:35:41 PM by jfrahm »
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »
Are they really that bad?

Sadly...yes.

You run the risk of having your car come out in worse shape than it went in. Find another dealer (if you're still under warranty) or else Randy at APS.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 04:06:56 PM »
I had mine cut a few yeats back so it is entirely possible that they changed policies.

Probably was when Dave Bell was still there.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
Well Buffalo got the job done. I don't know what kind of bit they use, but it must be made of the hardest material on the planet based on McDonald saying the eBay keys break their bits everytime. Homeboy at Buffalo actually drilled a HOLE through the blank with his bit.

Fortunately they sell blanks so he cut a new one and replaced it inteh remote for me for the same $10 charge.

Met up with Joel for a tasty mid morning breakfast and tried to prgram the key, but we could not figure out how.

And, side note, I know i said the dealer was covering the cost of the coil packs, I swung out there to grab a check and they wrote it for $50 more than the parts cost to pay for my gas and hassle. very good guys indeed. Check out Coloradocarsdirect.com if you happen to be in the market for a car, they are brokers so can find anything you want...nationwide. Talk to Zac and tell him Tiffany sent ya ;)
~Dizzle

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »
Yeah we had a look but I could not find a way to do a new key.  10 min. of searching suggests it requires a dealer hookup to add a new remote to a B6:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/940543.phtml

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/915091.phtml

Yikes!  I hope there is an easier way.

It was nice meeting you, and always great to get a breakfast sammy at Deli Zone.  Sorry no one else made it.

See you,
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 11:54:13 PM »
Well Buffalo got the job done. I don't know what kind of bit they use, but it must be made of the hardest material on the planet based on McDonald saying the eBay keys break their bits everytime. Homeboy at Buffalo actually drilled a HOLE through the blank with his bit.

Fortunately they sell blanks so he cut a new one and replaced it inteh remote for me for the same $10 charge.

Met up with Joel for a tasty mid morning breakfast and tried to prgram the key, but we could not figure out how.

And, side note, I know i said the dealer was covering the cost of the coil packs, I swung out there to grab a check and they wrote it for $50 more than the parts cost to pay for my gas and hassle. very good guys indeed. Check out Coloradocarsdirect.com if you happen to be in the market for a car, they are brokers so can find anything you want...nationwide. Talk to Zac and tell him Tiffany sent ya ;)

Wow all around. Great info on keys, can you provide the address and phone for Buffalo so I can add it to a resource thread or something? This is a great thing to know.

Also, great to hear about he broker standing behind their product and taking care of you. I like hearing good stories like that.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 12:15:31 AM »
Buffalo Lock and Key
2510 Baseline Rd
Boulder, CO 80305
Phone: (303) 494-0707

In the shopping center on Baseline and Broadway.

I do not know how much a blank cost from them, but they do cut eBay keys for $10 while you wait. Just based on feel their blanks are a bit more "hefty" than the one I had from eBay.
~Dizzle

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Jay, very true about the dealerships.

I have never had a bad experience with them, but then again, the only time I took my car there was to help diagnose an issue I suspected and just wanted to confirm.  I do all my own work, so I know who to blame, lol.

That's a great resource to know about guys (Buffalo in Boulder).  My wife ended up finding our second key, so it's not imperative that we get some extras at this time, but I am sure it will get misplaced again one of these days, so I will be ready.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:32:57 PM by ColoradoB5 »
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.