Author Topic: what's the difference?  (Read 14263 times)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
what's the difference?
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
So, I've been looking into HID conversion kits.  I know people have recommended vvme.com and I also found visionbulbs.com.  Why is vvme so cheap? Am I missing something here?

http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html  *revised* oops, I just noticed that they only have a few bulb types....perhaps that is why!

VS.

http://visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php

Thanks!

Nate
'01 A4 1.8tqm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:52:05 PM by Kingtut »
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: what's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
I am getting ready to order a VVME kit for my S4. So far the reviews of other UrS owners have been good. I guess the biggest complaint is some kits are shipped and the polarity of the plugs are reversed. Nothing earth shattering, but an inconvenience to deal with.

The VVME kit is also $30 to ship, so in the end you are spending ~$75 for the kit.

I cannot say that I have experience with either kit, but I will soon with the VVME. I think, and I may be wrong, but Dave (StarlightB5) may have the VVME kit in his Passat.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »
I am getting ready to order a VVME kit for my S4. So far the reviews of other UrS owners have been good. I guess the biggest complaint is some kits are shipped and the polarity of the plugs are reversed. Nothing earth shattering, but an inconvenience to deal with.

The VVME kit is also $30 to ship, so in the end you are spending ~$75 for the kit.

I cannot say that I have experience with either kit, but I will soon with the VVME. I think, and I may be wrong, but Dave (StarlightB5) may have the VVME kit in his Passat.

I guess I can hang with $75, as oppossed to 145.00 + shipping.  The reviews I have read though, basically say you get what you pay for and with the vvme kit being so much cheaper, I tend to wonder :-\  I guess I'll ponder it a bit longer and make a decision soon.  On a side note, I did go back to vvme and they had my H7 bulb as an option this time around-
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
Oh yeah, and I have to remember that you may have a different bulb setup than I. Meaning, I'm not sure if you need to do the bi-xenon kit or what. If so I know it is a little bit more.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
Oh yeah, and I have to remember that you may have a different bulb setup than I. Meaning, I'm not sure if you need to do the bi-xenon kit or what. If so I know it is a little bit more.

Hmmm...bi-xenon.  I suppose I'm a bit confused as to what a bi-xenon actually is.  I thought it was just using a HID bulb for the low beam and another for the high? Is that right?  I think I only have one projector on each side.....
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
bi-xenon bulbs are bulbs that work as both the high and the low beam. There are actually two different bulbs in one unit I guess is the way to describe it.

So if you have a separate bulb for high and low, then you would just get the single HID kit. In my case I have separate bulbs, i could get two kits, one for the high and one for the low. Because I would need two sets of ballasts.

Hell I could get three kits and do my fogs as well ;)

If your car just needs a single kit then I would just get one and do the lows obviously. I mean you drive around that much with the highs on.

Also, when it comes to picking which temp you want, I would recommend the 4300K, it provides the most light. I assume that's what you are after. The  higher temps provide more a blue appearance but you lose some visibility. Still, overall it will be an improvement over stock.

If your lenses are all faded and scratched you can also look up the procedures for refinishing the lenses so they look new again.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:41:52 PM »
My HIDS came from ECS Tuning.  I would imagine that they are similar to what you are ordering.  They are the H7 bulbs nd not the D2S units.  They ballast and bulb are a no name brand, but they have worked for me for over a year now without issue.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
Ahhh, thanks Gietl, that makes sense.  Yea, I think one set will be sufficient...although the fogs do sound tempting! But, I'd hate to have those damn ballasts all over the place. 

In terms of temp,I was actually thinking about the 6000k.  I know you get the purest/brightest light from the 4300k, but I'm a sucker for a slight blueish color. 

I'll have to check my lenses, I don't think they are too scratched and faded, but then again, I haven't ever really checked! 

I've read of flickering and possible interferance with the radio with HID's.  Anyone else had problems with this? 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »
bi-xenons in a projector beam are a reference to the restrictor plate being able to move out of the way to provide full light dispersion...either that, or 2 different xenon bulbs in each the low and high beam light sockets.  My B5.5 Hellas were bi-xenon, they had a motor that moved the light restrictor plate out of the way when I hit high beams, as well as the high beam reflector light turning on.  They were very bright.  Most cars are NOT bi-xenon, but xenon and halogen.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
I've read of flickering and possible interferance with the radio with HID's.  Anyone else had problems with this? 

never had that problem, nor have i ever heard of it, and I think I have done more xenon conversions than anyone else here :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
never had that problem, nor have i ever heard of it, and I think I have done more xenon conversions than anyone else here :)

That's good enough for me.  I should say that "said complaints" were made from a less reputable forum, and therefore less knowledgeable members!
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 05:55:43 PM »
if you run into problems or have questions with the actual install, let me know, I have installed about 5 of the vvme kits on peoples cars locally, they are super easy to do.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
if you run into problems or have questions with the actual install, let me know, I have installed about 5 of the vvme kits on peoples cars locally, they are super easy to do.

Thanks, that's very kind of you!  I will certainly need assistance from someone with experience, as I have none....just depends on who the "lucky one" will be ha-ha.  Although, I am certainly willing to show my appreciation in the form of beer, etc.  I hail from the C470 / University area if anyone happens to be local and willing-

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the vvme 6000k HID's by the end of the day-
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
I am amazed that they can sell these so cheap.  I would normaly question the quality, but they say that they are made in Japan and use quality manufacturing.  They have a 14 month warranty, so I would get them if I was buying.

BTW, I am running with the 6000K and I love them.  My wifes Passat has the 4300K and though they are bright, they are not as white looking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:09:54 PM by SweetVW »
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
Thanks, that's very kind of you!  I will certainly need assistance from someone with experience, as I have none....just depends on who the "lucky one" will be ha-ha.  Although, I am certainly willing to show my appreciation in the form of beer, etc.  I hail from the C470 / University area if anyone happens to be local and willing-

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the vvme 6000k HID's by the end of the day-

I am in Parker, so not far from you at all.  If you can spare a week day, come on over and I will help you install them.  Takes about an hour to do it right.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »
Thanks Jon, sent you an email
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
got it :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
jay -  ygm.  :)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
I just installed my VVME kit to replace my Phiilips kit that I had on for about 2.5 years.  The VVME kit cost me about $95 with shipping.  They are cheaper because they are from China. 

Hella must also source their ballasts from China because the kit I got had Hella Ballasts.

Overall, I am happy.  Both kits I had were 6000K and since one of my ballasts was going out, I replaced the ballasts and bulbs.  Took me about 30 minutes for both, mainly because I already had everything wired up from the first time and was already familiar with the in's and out's of them.

The kit is high quality, and there are only two small complaints I have.  First the packaging was pretty weak, and the box they came in was a little worse for wear, but the parts were all in good shape inside and everything worked, fortunately.  I don't relish the idea of having to ship them back to China to be replaced, so I'm glad I didn't have to.  The second minor gripe is that they are not quite as bright as the Phillips set I had, but for the difference in price ($95 vs. $250), I will accept a little less brightness (say around 10%).

HTH,
Dub
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:35:29 PM by ColoradoB5 »
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
I've heard products from vvme take awhile to get (they say 10 days on their website), but I suppose that makes a little more sense now, as they are coming from China. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that UPS doesn't play tackle football with the package.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »
I think the VVME kits are actually from Japan now.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
I've heard products from vvme take awhile to get (they say 10 days on their website), but I suppose that makes a little more sense now, as they are coming from China. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that UPS doesn't play tackle football with the package.

Just remember, if the package looks banged up, do NOT open it before contacting UPS.  Run to a UPS store and have them open it, and if the contents are damaged, they will replace it.

But honestly, I have never seen a package from vvme that has been destroyed, so really, don't but too much worry into it.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
Right on, no worries here....I wouldn't think UPS is in the practice of damaging packages on a regular basis 8)
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
I think the VVME kits are actually from Japan now.

Mine was shipped from China.  That was about a month ago now, so if it changed, it has been since then.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
LOL, yeah I have no idea really, I think the site references both locations. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »
and I seriously doubt the quality is all that much different, if not exactly the same.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
Anyone with a motorcycle want to split a kit? thats just what I need for the KTM!
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 02:50:23 AM »
oops....I accidentally hit the wrong buttons...deleted gragravar's post, but he will check on the bulb for his bike, and if they are the same, he said he will split a set with you.

Sorry about that Andrew, just a bit tired, need to turn the computer off and go to sleep ;)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »
Sweet Ill double check the bulb on teh KTM I know it is H4 just have to make sure witch one.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
oops....I accidentally hit the wrong buttons...deleted gragravar's post, but he will check on the bulb for his bike, and if they are the same, he said he will split a set with you.

Sorry about that Andrew, just a bit tired, need to turn the computer off and go to sleep ;)

no problem Jon, I can feel the love.   ;)

I just checked and the R11S uses an H7 for the high beam and an H1 for the low beam. so, unfortunately I'll be unable to split an H4 kit.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein