Author Topic: tail light bulb  (Read 2018 times)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
tail light bulb
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »
RE: 01 Audi A4

Okay, leave it to me to ask a "stupid question"...  So, my driver's side brake light is out and I need to pop another one in.  Easy enough, right?  In my case, not so much ??? :P

To preface, I work out in the boonies and I'm basically parked in a field.  With today's weather, the moment I go outside to perform said "easy operation" I've got the wind blowing across the field, flicking crap in my face and causing me to freeze my bahllzz off.  Normally, I can hang with a chilly breeze, but not when I become so frustrated with the fact that I can't even change a friggin' lightbulb, I become on the verge of breaking something >:( .  In addition, I've probably got my fellow employees watching my dumba$$-- seeing me half bent over, head in trunk, while periodically sticking my head out, then back in with a confused look on my face.  I've done searches, but all I can find is "yea, its easy....just pop off the cover....switch the bulbs....done)

Okay, so here's my question-  I opened the access door, removed the jack, and obtained access to the light assembly cover.  I pulled the tab on the black plastic cover closest to the left side of the car.  The cover is loose, but I'm not able to pull it away to gain access to the bulbs.  Is there another stinkin' tab somewhere?  At this point, I've attempted to pull the cover out, but it's still bound up somewhere.  WTF!?  Like I said, I'm to the point where I'm just going to pull it so hard (out of feeling so stupid that I can't change a simple light bulb) that I'm going to break something...then I'll see the hidden tab, or whatever else was not allowing the damn cover to be removed, and be pissed that much more.

Can anyone provide me with an answer to this 'brain-buster'?

Desired answer: Yes, there is a tab on the opposite side (which there's not).  Just search for it, pop it off and pull the cover off. ;D

Undesirable answer: Hey Dipsh#$, stop being such a moron and get your head out of your butt.  Just pull the plastic cover off and stop wasting our time. :'( :(

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
Re: tail light bulb
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »
I don't know on an A4, but on my Jetta (which sounds very similar) the plastic bulb holder gets "stuck" between the inside of the light housing and the trunk carpet.  I found myself having to deform the carpet just a bit, tilt the housing, and go slowly so the housing would clear the carpet (without breaking anything). 

I have changed my bulbs and I also installed the rear fog "mod" on the drivers side and  it was a bi@tch each time.
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »
I don't know on an A4, but on my Jetta (which sounds very similar) the plastic bulb holder gets "stuck" between the inside of the light housing and the trunk carpet.  I found myself having to deform the carpet just a bit, tilt the housing, and go slowly so the housing would clear the carpet (without breaking anything). 

I have changed my bulbs and I also installed the rear fog "mod" on the drivers side and  it was a bi@tch each time.

That does sound very familiar to my predicament, thanks Mike. It's reassuring knowing that perhaps I'm not the only one that's had a tussle or two with that darn plastic cover.  Luckily, I'm having some other work done today, so I merely informed Todd of my inability to perform such a complicated procedure! ;) A bit pathetic, perhaps- But at least I'm done cursing at that stinkin' light assembly!  I'm out of the woods this time, but something tells me "we'll" meet again ???
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »
...they must have done a total redesign on the B6. Man, I'm not much help to anybody around here...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
Man, I'm not much help to anybody around here...

Welcome to my world! :-\ :)
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08