Author Topic: VAG help in DTC tomorrow?  (Read 6017 times)

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
VAG help in DTC tomorrow?
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:20 AM »
Hey guys, need some VAG help tomorrow in the DTC if anyone can help...no not me this time.

My co-workers Jetta died in the parking lot after work. I think it caught the coil pack plague from mine, but if anyone in DTC has a VAG and could help him out earlier in the day so he can get a coil pack if that is the problem it would be awesome.

Same syptoms as mine had last week, but saving a tow to the dealer would be awesome.

My number is 720-207-7132 and I should be up for a while and available in the morning after about 730.

Let me know and thanks!

And yeah, I have the Ross-Tech site pulled up ready to order my own cable after all this fiasco :)

~Dizzle
~Dizzle

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: VAG help in DTC tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
Hey sorry Tiffany, I rode in today, so no VAG-COM for me.  If he can wait until tomorrrow, I can bring it in.  Let me know.

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
I spoke with her and will meet her this afternoon.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
Thanks again to Dave for helping out and getting dirty this afternoon. That was one strange situation for sure.

He is going to try to tighten up that spark plug, if no go then he will have it towed to the dealer. He had a rather heated conversation with them after you left :o
~Dizzle

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Dare I ask the outcome of that conversation.  Did the dealer offer up any thing as to why the plug was loose and that the hose had a tear in it.  I thought part of a service was to make a visual inspection of the engine.  That hose was just screaming to be seen.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:48:28 PM »
Dare I ask the outcome of that conversation.  Did the dealer offer up any thing as to why the plug was loose and that the hose had a tear in it.  I thought part of a service was to make a visual inspection of the engine.  That hose was just screaming to be seen.

Well the Jetta was just towed off to the dealer. He came in and tightened up the plug and it actually got worse. Surely that plug is toast as the coil pack was, but the fear is a true compression loss in that cylinder. :(

I will update later with the outcome. But let's just say that none of my vehicles will EVER go to Emich (Mountain States) for service. They did not own up to ANYTHING or even offer an explanation. He is paying for the tow, they wouldn't even offer to do that for him.

So for all the horror stories I have heard about McDonald, I will at least give them a chance if need be.
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
that sounds like a disaster...good luck with McDonald...although I fear you/he might be in for the same run around.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
He had it towed back over to Emich. I told him that if need be I am friends with one of the SAs over at Tynans and I at least trust him to get the work done and properly if he needed to go that route.

It is a disaster, he has had the car less than a year and has had problems with it almost since he bought it :(
~Dizzle

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
THAT SUCKS!!!!!   I wonder what the previous person didn't do for service when they had the car.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
Get this, they say its a bad coil pack. Maybe in our switching around we got the one bad one of his back on the car...LOL!!!

They also told him that hose is $350 :o

Insane!
~Dizzle

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
Crazy world, huh.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:12:25 AM »
I guess I will hear tomorrow how it runs, they called around 2 and said it was all done. Emich will NEVER see one of my cars...that's for sure.

~Dizzle

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 01:43:17 AM »
My co-worker is currently in the midst of dealing with Emich and their overly gracious screw up on his Jetta 1.8t.

They screwed the pooch so bad on this one that I now will NEVER let anyone at Emich touch my car...EVER!

Spark plug sitting in the cylinder, barely finger tight, visibly torn hose that was ignored in their "100 point inspection"...car had to be towed back to their dealership after their so called "95k service" on it and they wouldn't even cover the tow or offer any explaination as to why he got the car back in worse shape than he brought it in.

They had it yesterday, said it was fixed and on his way in to work today he lost power again.

Thumbs down to Emich!!!
~Dizzle

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »
Just an update on this....Emich has now had the car back 3 times in the past week + few days. They put some "adhesive" in the cylinder to hold the coil pack down...WTF?!?!?!?!

They have it back today, finally apparently got someone with a brain cell to look at it and they found:

1) Jacked up spark plug (the "crush washer" was destroyed so the plug wasn't seating right...so all the other times this week that you had it you never pulled the plug to check it???)
2) Torn hose (that was only pointed out to them 4 times now)
3) Cracked wiring harness (dave actually pointed this out and was then reported to the dealer, but the couldn't see the cracks...WOW!!!)

They have their "master tech" look at the car today to get to the bottom of things.

Emich for the GIANT LOSS!!!!!
~Dizzle

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
However deperate you are, don't go to McDonald. Just don't.
As for crush washers, they are notorious for being reused by cheap bastards.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
I have to say this REALLY suprises me about Emich.  I have never had any issue with them.  Maybe I need to rethink the future use of them.  Glad I have Autobaahn do my work for just about everything.

I am sorry about your co-workers issues.

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »
The situation stinks...I don't know the shop, but I would say they need to fix the issues you spoke about and take care of the customer.  I have to say this though...I think the story we are hearing about may be a little one sided (we don't know the Emich side of the story) - and...it's not very good etiquette to bash a shop, especially when it's not even your car or your $$.  Does your friend not want to pay to fix the issues or what?

It doesn't seem like anything special is going on, and the description lacks specifics:

replace the plug(s)
replace the torn boot/hose
replace the coilpack(s)
replace the "cracked" harness in question - I doubt the entire harness is cracked, so which part needs replaced?

These are typical VW problems (not to mention any make/model) that can be fixed with a little routine service/warranty work.  I'm not the interweb police, and I'm not trying to cause problems, but I have been on the "service" side of situations like this and typically the customer holds up the repair due to $$$$ (or lack thereof).  Sorry, just gotta point out issues with what I reading and throw ya under the bus. Could Emich screw up?  Sure, who hasn't... :-\  Do they have an obligation to fix it?  Yes!  But they won't give away the shop to do so, nor should the customer expect them to do so. 
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
Mike, do you own or work at a stealership? The accusatory tone of your post makes me wonder. Of course the story we're hearing is one-sided, after all this is an owners' and enthusiasts' site. That doesn't mean of course that what we're hearing isn't true. I could give you several examples of incompetancy at Denver VW dealerships and (sadly but true-ly) many others here could so the same, including but not limited to Emich (in its former existence as Mountain States) and most certainly the aforementioned McDonald.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »
The situation stinks...I don't know the shop, but I would say they need to fix the issues you spoke about and take care of the customer.  I have to say this though...I think the story we are hearing about may be a little one sided (we don't know the Emich side of the story) - and...it's not very good etiquette to bash a shop, especially when it's not even your car or your $$.  Does your friend not want to pay to fix the issues or what?

It doesn't seem like anything special is going on, and the description lacks specifics:

replace the plug(s)
replace the torn boot/hose
replace the coilpack(s)
replace the "cracked" harness in question - I doubt the entire harness is cracked, so which part needs replaced?

These are typical VW problems (not to mention any make/model) that can be fixed with a little routine service/warranty work.  I'm not the interweb police, and I'm not trying to cause problems, but I have been on the "service" side of situations like this and typically the customer holds up the repair due to $$$$ (or lack thereof).  Sorry, just gotta point out issues with what I reading and throw ya under the bus. Could Emich screw up?  Sure, who hasn't... :-\  Do they have an obligation to fix it?  Yes!  But they won't give away the shop to do so, nor should the customer expect them to do so. 

The issue is that the car was in 1 week prior to his problems and they did not find any of these issues. Yet when we popped the hood they were quite evident to the naked eye. The car in queston has been in for every scheduled service based on the schedule that VW has dictated. He is anal about that stuff. And I don't know about you, but to have your car towed to the dealership and then be back at the same dealership 3 more times in a weeks time for the same problem...yeah, that is a problem. Their fix was to try to "glue" the coil pack down...you could see the sticky adhesive around the coil pack. That is ridiculous!

And no, it's not my car, but last I checked if he asked my advice and was given help from people here on this forum based on my asking for help for a friend, reporting back what is going on is not out of line.

I have nothing to win or lose here, but to watch someone get screwed so badly over someone's apparent laziness and lack of care in their work is too much. If this had been a Jeep or Dodge or Toyota...whatever dealership, I would have reported the same way just so that folks know what has and can happen.

Sorry if your brother or mother or whatever work at Emich, but maybe next time they will get it right  ::)
~Dizzle

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
Mike, do you own or work at a stealership? The accusatory tone of your post makes me wonder. Of course the story we're hearing is one-sided, after all this is an owners' and enthusiasts' site. That doesn't mean of course that what we're hearing isn't true. I could give you several examples of incompetancy at Denver VW dealerships and (sadly but true-ly) many others here could so the same, including but not limited to Emich (in its former existence as Mountain States) and most certainly the aforementioned McDonald.

Nah man - there's no dealership within 120 miles of me.  My car only sees the inside of my own garage - as I do all my own service.  And I'm not accusing anybody of anything.  I'm just saying...there sounds like there may be underlying reasons the car is not fixed, other than the shops incompetence, and it usually stems from $$$ (because they charge too much!) or lack of knowledge.  If it's been towed back 3 times, and it's not fixed then do something about it, like take it to a different (better?) shop, call VWOA or learn more about the problem and DIY...whatever. As owners and enthusiasts, we are here to help...intarwebz flaming just backs up the old saying "if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all". Dizzle my apologies if you were offended at all - my reply was more like "Wow these sound like easy fixes...they should make it right...but why haven't they and what's really the problem?"  Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way.  I'm on your side, and if I were in CO I would be over trying to help fix it.  :'(

MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »
Yes, I was offended. Your comment comes off like the dealership is all knowing and anyone who doubts them or questions them should be ashamed for doing so. Now your new post makes it seem that anyone who is ignorant enough to take their vehicle to a dealership should be ashamed as well.

Me personally, I do as much of my own work as I possibly can, because that works for me. I am wise enough to know that that does not work for everyone and sometimes folks actually have to take their cars to a dealership either due to warranty, previous good experiences or convenience factors. Not everyone who owns and drives a VW has extensive knowledge of the inner workings of their vehicle and can fix a cracked head with chewing gum and bailing wire.

I relayed this experience because, as enthusiasts, many of us have newer vehicles with warranties that might require a trip to the dealership for service. One bad experience does not make a bad dealership, but I would rather know about the one so I can make MY OWN DECISION than not know and be the fool later on.
~Dizzle

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
THis same argument can be used for shops such as Autobahn, RS Motorsports, Autosport Werks, SCR, etc. it all comes down to the person. Only you can make the decision as to what you think is right for you. Tiff is, as far as i know, 100% new to the Euro world and her posts are just throwing out experience not stating she or her friend knows it all. Just giving everyone a heads up so they are aware.
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »
Some of us have never had anything but Euros and know but there are people getting into it everyday and could use the info
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »
Not 100% new ...have had a few Dubs in my lifetime, this is just the first Euro that I purchased with the intent to do more than just drive it to work and back home.

That said, I spent many years doing all the work on my Jeep myself so i do know my way around a car and engine bay. My buddy doesn't and he wants his car fixed properly by the dealership that he purchased it from. Seems like a pretty simple request...apparently not. I have a very good friend who is a service advisor over at Tynans, while I have heard multiple horror stories about Tynans, I would itake my car there simply because I know that my friend will make sure the work is done right. It shouldn't take having a friend someplace to get good service and the work that you paid for completed correctly.
~Dizzle

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:11:44 AM »
Ok, everyone settle down now. :P

Such is the web in that things written don't always appear to be in the same tone or even the same context they would if spoken.

It is fair to argue both sides, and while this is an enthusiasts site, not all enthusiasts are mechanically inclined and not all do their own work.

Dealerships will always be a touchy subject. Some people go through an entire automotive lifetime of trouble free experiences at the dealership. Others are less fortunate and have nothing but headaches and complaints.

Being an enthusiast or having enthusiast friends mean we might scrutinize dealer work a bit more. This is both good and bad. Good in that it may actually help dealer service put out quality work knowing there are people watching, bad in that there is always the "who cares it's not my car" attitude when techs are underpaid or are in an environment that puts constraints on their jobs.

Emich should have been able to resolve these issues with the first trip in. Having to return and to see shoddy work is disappointing to say the least.

Thanks for keeping us filled in on the details, I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. Emich was doing pretty good by most, I certainly hope this is not a sign of things changing around there.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 01:12:59 AM »
For what it's worth.....i can see both sides of your arguements.
You both have good points, if you are lucky enough to be able to do all your own repairs/ service thats great. If everyone had this ability, shop's like "Autobahn" would not exist!
Some times you need, or want the dealer to fix your problem.....they "built" the car so they should be able to fix it...right?...i know thats not always the case.
I have had problems with "Prestige imports" whereas other people have nothing but praise for them. In there defense they did fix the car but it was a struggle.

My only advice to you is to gather as much info as to why the car is not/can't be fixed and move to another dealership armed with this information if you are still not happy.

Good luck......at the end of the day it's just a car.....it can be fixed, but sometimes it feels like an uphill battle.
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:22 AM »
Well I feel it necessary to point out that although I personally never have had any issues with the dealers (I also do 100% of my own maintenance), several of us have had serious problems with dealerships in Denver, and some of the things that have gone on there border on the ridiculous.

What goes for the dealerships goes for any business: yes businesses make mistakes.  I have made a ton in my career.  What is important is how the consumer is treated and what is done to make up for the mistakes.  For issues like the ones with the Jetta described above, the appropriate action is to indicate a mistake was made, fix the issue, and if the item is a warranty item, warranty it.  If it is not, at least offer a modest discount as a show of appreciation for the customer's continued patronage.

I know that small shop owner like Randy at Autobahn and Joel at RS does this automatically because it's personal to them and they interact with their customers personally.

For the larger companies like the dealerships, it's easier for the customers to get lost in the noise.  That is the fault of the management team if their employees let the all important customer's faith in them slip.

Also, I can see Mike's point as devil's advocate.  I have been there too and it's always a good idea to see both sides.  Just based on the facts, it sounds pretty clear that the dealership has made some mistakes at the customer's expense and should acknowledge that.

So, Tiff, let us know what happens with your friend at Emich.  I love to hear a business turn it around and I think with all of the negative publicity there is about the dealerships is (warranted or not) we have to deal with the facts.  Hopefully this will all work out.                                                                                                                        
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »
GIETL.....exactly what i was trying to say but you type faster than me!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 02:00:17 AM »
I like bacon.

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded