Linked Events

• Mini Garage Day: February 02, 2008

Author Topic: Mini Garage Day - Feb 2  (Read 3110 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Mini Garage Day - Feb 2
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
It will be cold, but I am going to change my oil and plugs. So if anyone else has something they wanted to do or wants to hang out or lend a hand let me know and I will send you the details. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Mini Garage Day - Feb 2
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »
hmmmm.  I have some rover wrenching to do.  my only debate is whether to just do it here or to drive across town to join you.   Probably I'll just do it here. 

Plan is to wire up offroad lights. attach rock sliders.  add beefier/high clearance tie rod, and a new beefier drag link with steering relocation bracket. and to put my dash back together.

oh my.  thats a long list.  If you wanna drive north to do your oil and plugs, feel free to join me.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »
I'll be at APS... working in the garage.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
Andrew I may be up for heading out that way. What time are you starting tomorrow?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
I'll probably start at 10 or 11, will be working on it most of the day
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »
man I wish I could join you guys.  Have fun, stay warm.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:47:26 PM »
I'll give you a ring int he morning Andrew and let you know if I am going to come up that way. I need to go pick up the plugs in the morning and empty my full waste oil container before I can do anything. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:12:07 AM »
sounds good.  I'll probably be starting a little later than planned just because we got home later than planned this evening.  talk to you tomorrow

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Off to home depot and to do somr logging on the audi, will be getting started when I get back.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
Cool, I am just getting going here, I needed to shovel and do some things around the house, I think I will probably justs tick it out at home at this point.

The weather last night kind of threw me off this morning. :) Plus I slept in.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
Eh...today did not go well for me. How did it go for you Andrew?

Today, here is what I got done:

No NAPA stores in Colorado have my plugs, Checker does but for $24 each, so I will just need to order them from 034.

I got myself all ready to change the oil, did a quick inventory and realized I didn't have a new washer....so back to NAPA for a washer.

Ok, now I'm going to change the oil. Ok, I guess not, the drain plug bolt is torqued on so tight I can't get it off. Sigh.

I at least check to make sure all my plugs were secured at 22lb/ft. I'm not sure what I will do now. I need to get this drain plug off. I hate to bust out the air compressor in hopes of loosening it, because if it does come loose I could make a big big mess.

I'll get my plugs ordered and I guess do those next weekend. Oh, and one of the sucky things about owning these old S cars. From everything I have read at least, if you don't stick with the Bosch F5DP0R plugs you will be disappointed. They either wont last very long or will miss either low or high.

I am still considering trying some NGK's because guys that are pretty highly modified use em with good luck because at that point the Bosch plugs aren't any good. I am kind of middle of the road on mods, but should still be grouped within the OEM application for plugs.

Anyway, that was my wasted garage day. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »
mine wasnt wasted, but I seriously underestimated the time required for all my tasks.

I did some logs of the allroad for todd to look at after the new air intake yesterday.  then went to home depot for some wiring and a cobalt bit to drill to attach the rock sliders.

after I got home I got the old plastic door sills off the rover and cleaned up some surface rust along the bottom of the doors, then applied some paint to keep the rust from returning.

at that point my wife realized it was lunch time so a lunch run interrupted my day.  and while on the lunch run Nick (audi-os) called to say he was on his way up for us to meet to let me buy his old boost gauge to install in the allroad.  after meeting him my friend mark came over for me to read the codes for the CEL on his passat. 

after all that I was able to get back to work. after much drilling and aligning I got the drivers side slider on only to realize the door wouldnt shut.  so had to re-align the door. 

from there it was off to napa because I hadnt grabbed enough bolts last week for the sliders and I wouldnt have had enough for the passenger side.

so now the passenger side is all prepped but it is cold and dark.  I am done for the day, I'll get the other one on tomorrow.  then maybe I'll tackle the lights.  eventually I'll get to the tie rod and drag link...

oh my. :o

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44:16 PM »
Now that was a productive day!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
maybe, but other than scanning a couple cars, and attaching a drivers side slider I dont feel like I completed anything.  another hour or two in the morning and the 2nd slider will be attached and and then I'll be able to check that off the list.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:22:28 PM »
Sorry guys, mine went pretty good.  Got the intercooler out (damaged all to tarnation), all the holes in the firewall from removing the heater core unit were plugged, got the right fender realigned so the gap along the hood line is gone, got the rear bumper off (along with a lot of dirt and dried grass ;D ), and remove the rear bumper rebar and shocks (~15 pounds).  We've got new camber plates on order that should give us up to -4* of camber, and have decided to ditch the ABS.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com