Author Topic: Seafoam?  (Read 2860 times)

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
Seafoam?
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
OK, so was doing some reading during lunch and found a few threads on AZ about Seafoaming the engine. Now I had this done once on my old Bronco and it seemed to be rather effective. With the known sludge issues in the 1.8t and me not really knowing the true history of the car, would this be a good idea to do on the car to get any nastiness out of the engine?

Anyone done this and be willing to help me out with the procedure so I don't screw it up?

~Dizzle

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
Re: Seafoam?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
I dont know about Seafoam but AutoRx has also been recommended by a guy in FoCo. I am not sure what they used on mine when i had to have my oil pump replaced because of sludge but they run BG MOA when they change the oil now. i will make a call and find out what they ran through my oil.
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »
I'm cool with Seafoam, but I can't do an oil change myself right now, let alone two so if I could do a one stage Seafoaming and then have the oil changed I would do it in a heartbeat.

~Dizzle

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »
I think most of us simply run synthetic and occasionally AutoRX it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »
There is synthetic in the car, but I don't know the history of the maintainance so would rather be pro-active on it.

The sludge issue scares me.
~Dizzle

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:10:05 PM »
yeah it the sludge thing set me back about 600 bucks when it clogged up the oil pump. and there i didnt know the history of the car. Anyways, MOA from BG is 11 bucks a can and will clean your motor quite well.
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
MOA is some of the best stuff on the market, but you need to make sure that you run it one tank of gas, and then you have to change your oil.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:03:01 AM »
The sludge issue worried me quite a bit when I got my car too.  I did the fuel and oil Seafoam treatment (drove for a few days, then changed oil).  I didn't run it through the vacuum lines though- That seemed a bit drastic :o

Anyway, I didn't like the stuff...didn't get any positive results as promised, and actually, my car felt a little rougher than it did prior to doing the Seafoam.  Personally, I wouldn't recommend it-  It's been suggested that Seafoam could have negative effects due to disrupting the seal on various parts within the engine.   

Some just say just to change your oil with a good synthetic a few times, within a shorter period (than the normal 5k or less).

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »
So I would guess a car that always had synthetic, would not need this kind of treatment?  I know for sure that both the GTI and Passat have always had full synth.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 01:51:46 AM »
Well I have always been a bit weary of additives in these engines, Seafoam is pretty crazy stuff. Like your old bronco and other carbeurated vehicles I think it is good stuff. I would be hesitant to run it through these more modern FI systems.

I know sludge is a big concern on the 1.8T, you may want to call AoA and give the VIN. You can find the originating dealer, then maybe give them a call and see if they have maintenance records. If they do, they should be able to verbally tell you what has been done to the car when serviced at their facility.

At least I have had good luck doing that in the past. As long as you tell them you are just trying to follow up on maintenance and that you aren't trying to get names or $$$ amounts they should hopefully accommodate.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
OK< I think I willstart with MOA...maybe next weekend I will run it through a tank...and then get the oil changed. I know it has synthetic in it now.

I did call McDonald and got a little bt of history, but not much. I may pursue that more next week when I have some time.

Thanks!
~Dizzle

Kraylon

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:31:16 AM »
i have do the full seamfoam treatment on my audi once a year and i have had no issues and the car seems to get better gas mileage and better throttle responce

I just follow the write up on AW