Author Topic: Bad control arm?  (Read 2334 times)

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
Bad control arm?
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
What might the syptoms be of this? I know the tell-tale signs on a Jeep Cherokee, but want to make sure they are the same/similar on the Audi.

I have a slight "clunk/creak" right under the dead pedal. I can feel it when doing a slow turn.

When I first heard it it reminded me of the sound my XJ made when I needed a new control arm bushing.

If this is that, how difficult to replace?

Thanks!
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Bad control arm?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »
it is either that or a tie-rod.  The  upper control arms are easy, the lowers you need to take to a mechanic as they need a ball joint spreader and can be a pain.  The tie rod can also be done DIY...but sometimes they need to be heated up to get the threads to break free, so again, a mechanic.

The other thing to check is if your shocks are blown, sometimes that can create a clunk/creak, etc.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
I have heat and a ball joint tool in my garage...no mechanic ;)

Hadn't thought of shocks...easiest way to check any of these? Jack up the car and start yanking on stuff?
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »
well, you can simply bounce the car on that corner, and if the car does not settle fast, ie-stop moving, and it continues to move up and down, then the shock/damper is blown.  Or, you can jack up the car, and look to see if oil is leaking out of the shock.

Good luck with the ball joint spreader, I tried one on Pat's LCA's and it bent :(.  He had to take the car to a mechanic to get them pulled and new bushings pressed in.  He was going to have them pressed while we got them off the car, but obviously that did not work out.

Plenty of people here have experience with UCAs and TREs so I am sure they can help you out once you narrow it down.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
Cool thanks. My biggest issue right now is I can't do much is fif any work myself due to the pending surgery next week and a torn rotator cuff that has limited my movement in my left arm. Yeah, my ass is falling aprat...LOL!!!

Once I narrow it down I may just take it to APS and let them have fun with it, but I want to know what it is before I concede defeat :)
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:19 AM »
well, if you need some help with evaluation, feel free to swing on by, I am free all week long, and I live in Parker.

can't on the weekends, I do weekend night shifts.

Dizzle

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Cool, thanks for the offer. This will most likely wait for 2 weeks...too much crap to do before Wednesday :(
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
I'll be around.  Good luck this week!!!!