Author Topic: will eliminating the cats cause a problem?  (Read 1830 times)

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
will eliminating the cats cause a problem?
« on: March 09, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
I had catalytic converter fallout a while back, but I have 2 cats and it is really expensive to replace them, so I was thinking of eliminating them and go with no cats. I've heard this will cause problems with the O2 sensor and then the engine will try to compensate and bad things will happen.

Is this true?
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: will eliminating the cats cause a problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
I have no cat :) Just be sure that where you are wont require it when it comes emissions time or you will be forking out the cash to do it to pass emissions anyway. Now there is some state money that will help get the car up to passing standards.

As for errors, I don't get any errors, the newer models may, but I can swap in and out my high flow cat without any problems.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
i ran mine with no cat for quite a while.  I had no problems, but my software has a cat delete in the code. I ended up putting a HFC back in for two reasons. First i needed to pass emmissions, Second i felt bad not running a cat (my green, granola side comes out sometimes ;D ).

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:46:14 PM »
thanks for the advice, I have no emissions where I live, living in the boonies does have it's benefits!

as long as it doesn't cause my car any harm, I think that is the way to go. I assume I will have to run test pipes? Are they generic or custom-fitted?
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:40:26 AM »
I have no cat. It's dope. The testpipe will generally be custom fit for your application.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner