Author Topic: New at this whole thing  (Read 5138 times)

silentrun

• n00balicious
New at this whole thing
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:37:52 AM »
Hi everyone. I am having some issues with my 01 A4 1.8T Q so I was browsing around the net for forums to get help on. I live about 5 mins from Park Meadows, been in Denver/Longmont area for about 15 years now. I currently have a white 90 G60 Corrado and my B5 A4. I am having big problems with the A4 and hope that you guys can give me some help.

I had had my CEL on for a very long time and didn't think anything of it because the car was driving just fine. It was about a month ago that while driving on I-70 that the car didn't accelerate like it suppose to. I would have problems (complete sluggishness) getting it to go at all. I recently took my car to McDonald Audi (where I've been getting it serviced) for the timing belt/water pump package. They changed those two things, spark plugs, air filter and all that jazz, they diagnosed the problem to be bad injectors on cyl 3 & 4 so I had them replaced. After that it still had some sluggishness (which they acknowledge, but can't find out what's causing it) while the engine is cold or if it's cold outside, the CEL came back right after I picked it up from McDonald, but it ran fine so I ignored it for the most part again. Today, I went to used a friend's diagnostic computer thing to reset the CEL to get the emissions done, I failed it with high NOx readings. And now it's like before again, where I can barely maintain speed on the highway. :( I used another friend's diagnostic thing to get the following codes:

P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
P0300PD - Random Multiple Misfires
P0301 - Cyl 1 Misfire
P0302 - Cyl 2 Misfire
P0304 - Cyl 4 Misfire

I'm sorry for posting a novel here, but I had heard about this VAG COM tool that might be able to get me better results with the problem, since I don't have access to one unfortunately so if you guys can throw some ideas at me that would be helpful cause I'm pretty stressed out about this atm.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Re: New at this whole thing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:05:59 AM »
VAG COM is a great tool. Though it sounds like you have friends that are giving you codes. That's going to be the biggest help.

I'm not a pro here, they will probably pipe up, but my first guess would be coil packs? Though it seems weird to have 1,2 and 4 all misfiring. Timing being off would be a stupid mistake on McDonald's part so I hope that's not it.

Is your A4 stock?

In general, checking out those CELs when they come up would be a good idea. They aren't just for emissions stuff anymore.

I'm sure better advice is forthcoming.

Best,
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:05:59 AM »

ogstiff

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:06:55 AM »
randy at autobahn premier service should be able to help you out
thats says audit... no brian its a foreign car the t is silent

B5Mike

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Was your CEL flashing? My '01 had similar issues with sluggishness and all same misfire codes. I had the coil packs replaced and have had no issues since. You'll probably want to do all 4 so it doesn't come up again if one of the older packs goes.
i think the stealership will charge like $35/pack but I paid <$15/pack at my independant shop + about an hour of labor. These packs are pretty common issue on the B5s.
'01 A4 1.8TQM
-SpeedTuning ECU, Forge 007 DV, APR/VDO boost gauge, 18" Flik Wasps, 15% tint
saving pennies for:Bilstein/H&R shocks/springs, f&r sway bars, S4 bumper

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:28:42 PM »
in my experience the random multiple misfire + the misfire in a specific cylinder means a dead coil pack in that cylinder.  coil packs are exceptionally easy to replace - just unplug them and pull them straight out.  with misfires in 3 of the 4 cylinders, I'd probably just replace all 4.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
Could this be symptomatic of a failing ignition control module?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
Wow! Thank you all for the responses. You guys are great! Yes, my A4 is stock. :( I haven't had much money to put in the damn thing. Any rate, I'm assuming that the coil pack is atop the spark plugs, where the wires plug in? Though, I am interested in where the ICM would be located and how much that might be to replace. Where is Autobahn premiere?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
They are located near evans and sante fe. They are also an advertiser on this site so look for their banner up top.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
The ICM is on top of the airbox.  Little small flat black rectangle with wire(s) coming out of it.  Might be $250, give or take $100.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »
I just got off the phone with Randy @ AP, we're gonna try and replace the coilpacks tomorrow first and go from there. Thank you all so much for the pointers!! I'll let you guys know what ends up happening with this.

MikeWire

• Stock
    • BigSkyVW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
Yep, coilpacks.  Replace all four and keep the one with no codes as a spare.
MikeWire
Site Admin | BSVW | BSEuro
A Premier Montana Euro Enthusiast's Community
2000 Jetta | 1990 Passat R.I.P

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »
We switched out all 4 CPs, the car now kinda stutters only when the engine isn't warmed up. But the CEL did come back on, I haven't had a chance to pull the code yet, but talking to Randy it sounds like my cat might be the culprit. I'm going to drop it off Monday and hopefully things won't end up costing me an arm or a kidney.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »
As I'm sure everyone would agree, Randy/APS is very up front, honest, and is looking to not only get your car back on the road, but looking for your repeat business/referrals as well.  In my experience (and unfortunately I've had a lot of "experiences" in the short time I've owned my B5) APS has never "taken me for a ride" when in all reality they could've. (Not that you were implying they would, but just to reassure you that your car is in good hands ;D

With all that being said, good luck, I hope the fix isn't an expensive one.

P.S. Randy, did that earn me a substantial discount on my next visit :D
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:25 PM »
^^^^LOL, says the man with really bad luck :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »
^^^^LOL, says the man with really bad luck :)

You should see me in Vegas!  It's not much better :P
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
Randy is the man.

That is all.

We replaced the MAF sensor, the car passed emissions with flying colors (from 5.x in NOx to .5) and I have both my kidneys still...though I'll be pretty poor for a bit, but hell at least the thing is done.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
Good news and another satisfied customer from APS.  The list keeps growing and growing!  ;D
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!