Author Topic: Anger!  (Read 5126 times)

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
Anger!
« on: March 10, 2004, 04:30:25 PM »
<rant>I just switched to Dish network about 2 weeks ago, because I wanted DVR sooo badly. Now those asses took away 15 of my channels, including Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, SpikeTV, and CBS. I hate them now. I'm so mad. I'm not in a contract or anything, but just had holes in the side of my house..and really still want to keep DVR. But I'm PISSED. I just need to vent. If I don't get my Daily Show, Survivor, and RW/RR Challenge soon, I'm gonna have to go back to ComCrap.
Is anyone else affected by this? Does anyone have any insights as to how long this will take to get resolved?? It seems as if Dish thinks they are the victim, oh poor them, Viacom wants to charge more, when Viacom had no trouble making arrangements with Comcast and DirectTV...it looks like Dish is just going to sit idle and play stalemate until Viacom backs off their price, which I don't think they should have to do, especially if Comcast and DTV paid the same...it's called competition baby. It makes me mad that Dish plays off the "Cable Pig" and yet they have no regard for their subscribers and what they want, and just want to line their pockets. ARGH! </rant>
MWJD?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Anger!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »
About half my office switched to Chodecast yesterday.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Anger!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Anger!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 06:00:01 PM »
DVR = digital video recorder?  Can you just buy a Tivo and go back to cable?  You might find a cheap Tivo on ebay.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »
Tivo sucks compared to what dish offers. With Tivo you pay upwards of $300 to get 40 hours of recording time, plus you either pay $299 for the life of the unit, or $14 a month for the fee. Plus your cost of cable, which basic for me would cost $40.
With dish I get DVR on 2 TVs, with 100 hours of recording time. I can watch what I record from either TV. This all costs me $34.99 a month. With no other fees and no contract. Big difference, huge quality difference too. My friend has tivo with direct tv, it's not as cool and costs a lot more.

If dish can fix this problem then I'll stick with them, I just really have no idea if and when that will happen...surely they'll have to broadcast Viacom, or they will lose tons and tons of customers...?
MWJD?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Anger!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 06:35:51 PM »
FYI, this has happened in the past and it will happen again int he future.  They are just like to bratty kids that are throwing tempter tantrums.  Give it a few weeks - few months and it will be resolved.  I would expect the CBS thing to be resolved sooner.  I of course have no insight, but I recall spats like this in the past.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 07:10:51 PM »
Sorry, I happen to work for Dish Network *aka* Echostar. A lot of people are pissed, myself included...no MTV or VH1..kids too, no nickelodeon. Viacom is attempting to increase rates to the tune of about $40 million, echostar doesn't want to increase rates of the customers, because viacom wants to renegotiate a contract that is already in place. Stupid...it's happened before and resolved itself fairly quickly, within a month or two. Can't beat the price, $26 for 50 top channels, plus free install and equipment.
Look officer, I really do own it......

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 08:08:10 PM »
Thanks Wyaka.. I understand both sides.. I know Viacom is trying to screw Dish over because they're the low-cost provider.. but it seems like they are both just pouting in their corners and not talking.

Do you know Scott Larson? He is the VP of customer service at echostar. If you do, tell him his brother is an assh*le.
Just kidding. Or am I? No, I am. Sort of.

I want my MTV.
MWJD?

mike618

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 02:13:23 AM »
wow, all I have is an  antenna that gets fox... so I can watch the simpsons...
I really hate EMptyV. (mtv)  They wanted $40 a month for cable, that can go for my car or snowboarding...
In the words of Ned's Atomic Dustbin.... Kill your television
998 1.8t b5
1989 cabrio...going to be a turbo sleeper
2002 cobalt blue azonic evolution (mtn cross bike)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Anger!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 02:15:48 AM »
I ditto Mike...I've got rabbit ears...I guess I could get really pissed too if they decrease standard UHF/VHF signal and I have to go to longer ears but.... :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
Anger!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »
Just heard on the news that this situation with viacom is all settled now. You happy Amanda?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Anger!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 03:54:24 PM »
I have Dish NEtwork too and the only reason I still have it is because I'm under contract until April 4th.  It's not bad, but the DVR quality is not very good and honestly, I just want to switch to Comcast to decrease my cable internet price per month.  

I'm dropping Earthlink DSL as soon as I can.  I hate it and am just waiting to get comcast cable TV and internet at the same time.

So I would keep Dish Network except that I want Cable internet...the DVR quality is still an issue though.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

madigan

• Modded
Anger!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
I have Comcast for cable and internet...I like it. It's not the cheapest but they seem very responsive whenever I have any problems. They also just increased the download and upload speeds...I really love how fast my internet is...I don't watch too much tv.
mad wagon

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 06:15:37 PM »
Yes I am happy. Yayyy. I just saw the story on 9news.com. I am impressed that they resolved it in such a timely manner.. Winnie, I'm surprised your DVR is questionable quality- mine is awesome quality...I wonder if it's maybe because I have a brand new unit.. who knows. At least I can record Survivor tonight. ;)  I too have comcast internet, and love it.. but surprisingly, it's still cheaper for me to have dish instead of cable, even though comcast charges me $10 more a month for not having cable now..

Hmm.. now I'll have to find something else to bitch about. I'm sure that won't be a problem. :D
MWJD?

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 07:06:02 PM »
What model of DVR do you have? Most of the older units have fair quality, the newer ones have excellent quality, if it's old sometimes echostar will upgrade you to newer equipment whe you renew your contract.

spencerjw

• Stock
    • http://diesel.textamerica.com
Anger!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 02:05:54 AM »
Ok ok ok, a little late on the reply here but just the same.

I wrote two emails the day we lost our channels.  One was to the CEO of Viacom, the other to the CEO of DISH Network (Echostar).

To the CEO of Viacom I basically ripped him a new one for trying to muscle the little network providers (i.e. Dish) into higher rates and charging their customers for it.

To the CEO of Dish I  said "I commend you for taking this stand.  Whether it be for money on your end or to truely keep our programming down, I care neither way.  I am happy that you are standing up to the larger corporations and making a stand for your principles."  I watched the news and all the reports closely, Dish did the right thing and I was more than happy to back them up.

Comcast on the other hand SUCKS!!!  I will NEVER use them for cable ever again.  I do however use them for Internet access, but tht is something completly different.  I am offended by the fact that Comcast changed their menu (be it it was quite a while ago) to include advertising on half of the screen and you're only able to see a 1/2 hour of programming at any given time.  I am so blatently against Comcast and their pratices that when I moved to Dish I went against something I was dead set on, never moving to a Dish.  However, Dish Network does it right, they are by far the better of all 3 (or 4 if you can get Qwest Digital cable in your area).  I did a lot of research before I choose a provider for our new home and I am VERY satisified with the deal that I got and the programming we are receiving.

Ok, there's my $0.02, take it as you will but take it from a seasoned veteran of the whole cable/dish/cable battle, I have used them all (yes that includes Qwest)!!!
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

spencerjw

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 02:08:41 AM »
Quote from: "madigan"
I have Comcast for cable and internet...

speaking of which, did you all notice our speeds have increased?  We're now all pulling down 3.0MB instead of the old 1.5MB.  Talked to a Comcast guy the other day, they upgraded all the lines and even myself out here in Parker got the new speeds alread...and yes, it's at no additional cost.

To check your Cable Modem speeds visit the link below.
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

spencerjw

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 02:16:51 AM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
So I would keep Dish Network except that I want Cable internet...the DVR quality is still an issue though.

Dub, there's no reason to lose Dish to get cable modem, the only thing you get is crappy cable service and rapped on the price just to save $10/mo by having both.  I first had cable and modem from Comcast and ditched Comcast as a cable TV provider as quickly as I could, I absoutly dispise their customer service and the programming fees.  I however love their cable modem and it's speeds.  it's not worth the $10/mo to me to have great Internet but crappy cable TV.

Remember what I do for living, my Inernet is my bread and butter, I know what I'm tlaking about.

Also, speak to a Dish person about the DVR, mine also has great quality.  The only time I notice a drop in quality is when I record something from channel 2 (The WB) and watch it later.  From that channel I get ghost images that are almost like they are burned into the screen for a few seconds when theyre switching sceenes.  The DVR is the new dual receiver box that I keep in the living room and use for that TV.  I can record from it on there, but I can also control the other half (remember, dual) of the receiveer from my bedroom and I can record up there as well.  It's *exactly* like having 2 set-top boxes but without the hassle of having two.  I can also watch two seperate shows on both TV's as well as record two different shows on both TV's.

Seriously, talk to them about upgrading your systems, most of the time they'll do it for free if they know you're going to stay with them instead of leaving to Comcast (of all companies!!).
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 04:20:54 AM »
Yeah.. what spencer said. I have the exact same setup, also have Comcast internet, which I love. Had their cable (which I hate).

It's cheaper for me to pay $10 more a month for Internet and have Dish for TV, than it was for me to have BASIC stupid cable through Comcast and their internet for $10 less.. pretty sad.

My DVR unit is the dp plus 522 MPEG 2. whatever that means. I too have heard that they will usually upgrade your equipment with no problem.

Speaking of which, it has a usb port on the back.. does anyone know what this means? Can I plug in an external drive (or external DVD burner) and record stuff to disk? I find this unlikely, but it's something I like to fantasize about when I'm in the shower...
MWJD?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Anger!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2004, 04:58:21 AM »
Spencer, after the whole debacle I have slowly turn my position around on Dish.  I think they did a great thing as well and have decided to keep them.  The fact that Steve says they will upgrade my equipment when I resign and that their service is better than cable is the nail on the coffin for Comcast.

I had them a couple of years ago and for the 2 years I did have them, they were great.

As for poor old Earthlink DSL, they are an "also ran" in my book anyway, so they were my main objective.  I miss my cable modem.  My fastest speed on it was 4MB up in Fort Collins.

I'm going that route too.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Anger!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 04:59:27 AM »
Amanda, I don't know what the USB port is for, since my equipment is older and I don't have one.

spencerjw

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "UberGrrl"
My DVR unit is the dp plus 522 MPEG 2. whatever that means. I too have heard that they will usually upgrade your equipment with no problem.

Speaking of which, it has a usb port on the back.. does anyone know what this means? Can I plug in an external drive (or external DVD burner) and record stuff to disk? I find this unlikely, but it's something I like to fantasize about when I'm in the shower...

Ok, the MPEG 2 simply means the type of Mpeg encosing the DVR does.  Such as MP3's (MPEG 3).  MPEG-2 is the new compression standard, which allows the coding of studio qualtity video for digital TV, high-density CD-ROMs and TV-broadcasting.

As far as the USB port goes, I'm not sure, I haven't even noticed that I had one.  I know DISH would never allow you to hook anything up to it since it's a major copyright enfringement if you were able to record off of it.  However, I do know that on these devices the manufacturer always builds into them additional features for future expansion, such as hooking more than one up together in a string.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Anger!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 02:05:16 PM »
The USB port is for future use, such as DISH home games and more interactive stuff. We haven't even gotten any of the equipment yet to test for this feature, maybe this year sometime. Supposed to be a gamepad or something similar to that.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Anger!
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2004, 02:46:30 PM »
Rabbit ears for three years and running!  As for internet I use Qwest DSL with Pcisys.net for my ISP.  I just got bumped up from about 530k to 1.1meg with no increase in cost   :D  :D  :D . I agree with the keeping satellite over cable.  When we lived at our last house we had both and satellite rocked heads over heals over cable.  I was rather sad when we moved to our condo and realized that we were facing north and due to HOA rules  :mad:   A dish cannot be directly attached to the building.  There are allot of cinder blocks on peoples porches.   8O
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Anger!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »
I am a Dish Network salesman so you can ask me any questions that you may have about equipment or service, as far as the chanels that you are missing they should be restored by now it was a temp black out because of negoations with one of Dish Networks affilates, im not sure about the Denver market but those chanels are back on here in the Springs...  I will see you at the drive so i can clarify any other questions that you might have about your service.

Cheers Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Anger!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »
Also pcisys is awsome service i use it here in the springs.

Cheers Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

spencerjw

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 07:03:03 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
I was rather sad when we moved to our condo and realized that we were facing north and due to HOA rules  A dish cannot be directly attached to the building. There are allot of cinder blocks on peoples porches.

There is a federal law that prohibites HOA's from keeping you from receiving a service of any sort.  In Highlands Ranch this used to be a huge deal, but federal law fixed that.

Check with your HOA and argue with them that you are being forced to not receive services and for them to help you come up with a solution.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Anger!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 10:00:48 PM »
Hmmmm!  I may have to take you up one that search.  I just wonder if they will allow a roof top setup, since our condo front faces north.  Thanks for the info.  I have a dish and two receivers that have been sitting in storage for 3 years now.

Does anyone know where to find the letter of the law so I can being this to my HOA group and see what can be done?

spencerjw

• Stock
Anger!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2004, 12:23:51 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Does anyone know where to find the letter of the law so I can being this to my HOA group and see what can be done?

Do you have access to the roof yourself or would you have to "get" access to it?  My HOA says if at all possible they don't want to be able to see the dish from the front of the house (i.e. the street).  But my house faces south (thank god) and so it's on the West side of the house, almost to the very front of the house. We're supposed to get HOA approval before adding them onto the house but I said the hell with that.  If they complain then I'd request approval.  It's been 2 months now and I haven't heard a peep.

Here is the Fact Sheet from the FCC's website:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Anger!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2004, 01:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the link.  RMCB5 is definitely a multi-faceted group.

I do not have direct access from the condo, (we live on the ground floor of a three story structure) I did find an access at the top of the stairs that leads to an area where the AC units are.  Maybe since I live on the corner I can have a line run down the side.  I know that the complex is supposed to get painted in a couple of weeks.

I did take a look at the other condo buildings to see if there are any roof mounted dishes and I could not see any.  I also took notice to see if anyone who faces north got creative with their dish placement and it looked like no one even had any.  Although, there were plenty of south-facing condos that had them either mounted at ground level or on the inside side of their balcony, if that makes sense.  I will see what the HOA and I can agree on.