Linked Events

• Spring Detail Day: April 26, 2008

Author Topic: Spring Detail Day - Saturday April 26  (Read 8676 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Spring Detail Day - Saturday April 26
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
It's that time of year again. Time to remove all the crud from the winter and have our cars roll with that showroom shine. Based on the previous thread it appears that Saturday April 26th will be a good day for most. This way if you don't finish everything Saturday you'll have Sunday to wrap it up.

When: Saturday April 26,2008 no one in before 8am

Where: Respond here if you;re coming and I'll PM you my address.

What to bring: Bring your Porter Cable if you got one. I don't have one and I'm sure there will be folks that would love to borrow yours. Bring your own pads for the buffer/polisher. Please supply your own chemicals and towels/rags. I will have some stuff, but it is pretty limited what I have.

I have a 2 car garage, it's not the largest in the world, but two people can work in there. I also have a driveway and a 10' x 10' canopy. There is a hose out front so you can wash your car. I do have a power washer as well, I have never used it on a car, so you are welcome to use it at your own risk. I have a grill so we can grill up some food as well.

If you can make it, please chime in and let me know about what time you'll show up. This way we can try to work a schedule out so folks can share PCs and get as much done as possible. Also, so I will know how much food/drink we will need.

Detailing:
aowhaus
kingtut
gietl
redline

Stopping By:

gragravar
Pat & Frances
dubaudi
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:47:05 PM by gietl »

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Spring Detail Day - Saturday April 26
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
I'll try to swing by to say Hi and to hang out for a while, but not sure if I'll work on the car or not.  we'll see.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Oh I could use this, but we'll be out of town!

Hey Jay I saw you in the S the other day.  I didn't know you had a ski rack on there!

If that wasn't you, there is another car just like yours with red calipers.  I forget exactly where it was, but it may have been on Holly or Quebec.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
It was probably me, I just took the racks off yesterday. :)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »
I plan on swinging by to say hi.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:39:29 AM »
I think I could make it for my C's first detail!
I'm willing to bring stuff for the grill, let me know numbers towards event time.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
Gietl, I'm pretty sure we live in the same neck of the woods, as I always see that sweet lookin' S cruisin' round tha 'hood'.  I wouldn't mind coming by and meeting some people.   

It looks like Detailer's Paradise is the place to go for detailing supplies.  I'd really love to get a PC buffer, but I'm not sure if I can justify the 135.00 price tag, or find the money for that matter.  I've got some wicked swirls and clear coat imperfections that I wouldn't mind having a go at, are there any cheaper sources out there for a buffer?  Any recommendations for interior care of the leatherette?  I might make a visit to DP in the next week, so I just thought I'd see if anyone had good recommendations before hand. 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
The price DP sells the PC buffer for is pretty competitive. I have only seen refurbished ones for cheaper.

I have a cheapy little random orbital buffer thing I bought years ago, I think I paid like $30 for it. I want to buy a PC as well, but they are spendy.

I think I have an in now, since we will be buying another car this Summer and getting rid of the Passat I bet I can get one since I will need to detail whatever new ride we get often. ;)

As for the leatherette, I have used primarily light soap and warm water to wipe it down and I have also used 303 aerospace protectant on it. It is after all a fancy name for vinyl. I prefer leatherette to leather because of the dog since it is so durable.

Talk to Nick or Heather at DP, he wont steer you wrong. He was all booked up this month for detailing days (base don the site) so i didn't call to see if we could do anything with them.

If you take your car down to the store he can come outside and take a look and help you pick out the right products. They are pricey, but worth the money. And by pricey, it's not like buying a bottle of turtle wax for $5.

If there is anyone who has a PC that is unable to make the detailing day and is willing to loan the tool for use the gesture would really be appreciated.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
Right on, I'll seek the guidance of Nick/Heather when I find the time to go down there.  Yea, I'm usually the guy standing in Checker saying, "Five-dolla!?  Dat sho iz alot uv moneey.....how about a rib....no, ONE rib!" ha-ha  (16 bones seems like the going rate over there).  "Yes honey, I DO need this 16 dollar cleaner and no the 5 dollar cleaner won't work"

I was wondering about the thirty dollar buffers, guess you answered my question if you want a PC....

If you don't mind me asking, how come you're getting rid of your Passat? 

You're a braver man than I, my dogs will never step "foot" in my car.  They're the crappy dogs you see that won't sit still and stop drooling all over the place  ;)

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:48:44 PM »
Haha, well I leased the Passat...just in case it was a bad car...so I wouldn't be stuck with it. I grew tired of it rather quick, it is a good car, and it is comfortable, but it wasn't very exciting to me. And it was going to take too much time and money to make it the way I wanted it.

So we sold the Volvo we had, Renee started driving the Passat and I bought the Audi. Now, we need to get Renee the car she wants, and she doesn't like the Passat.

I really like the 2.0T and it is pretty economical on the fuel, she commutes in town and averages about 24 - 25mpg. When I commuted with it I averaged about 29 - 30mpg and on road trips I could do 35mpg.

I see ads for Honda's and other economical models claiming that mileage and you can have a pretty nice VW and get the same with more luxuries. More maintenance though. :)

When I first bought stuff from DP Renee about passed out when she saw the bill, but then detailed the Audi and she understood. Like I said, once we get her a car to replace the Passat, it will change, she will be much more receptive to spending a little here and there to keep the cars looking and functioning good.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
I've been pushing for my wife to get into something other than her Sorento (it's a decent ride for the $)  But I'm better at spending money and being wasteful and she's looking forward to paying it off in the next few years and not having a loan payment.  There's something about the Acura RDX(?) that would seem to suit her (and me of course!)- sporty, 4x4, and capable of hauling our crap for visits to the inlaws.  Once I saw "turbo" on the back I became intrigued.  Little does she know I have my eyes on an '09/'010 A4  :D  Can I pay off my B5 (and keep), buy a new house, AND afford a new Audi....Blast! probably not :P

I seem to have started babbling (as always) which has nothing to do with this thread...my bad- slow day at work
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
Once you buy the house, you can buy whatever you want. It's pretty scary what lenders will give you once they know you are a home owner.

I will update the first post with the names of the people coming.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Once you buy the house, you can buy whatever you want. It's pretty scary what lenders will give you once they know you are a home owner.
LOL, Have you been talking to my wife?  Why must everyone be so sensible?  Where's all the erratic spenders out there?  ;) 
Yea, we already own a "home" (condo), just not the right kind (house)!  [TMI to follow] I'm sick of worrying if my neighbor can hear me taking a leak in the morning :-\

I will update the first post with the names of the people coming.

Cool, sounds good-
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
I will stop by, I'll try to be there at 9:00. Probably do a little detailing.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 03:53:16 PM »
Frances and I might stop by, but unlikely we'll detail.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »
Not sure if I will detail but I will stop by.
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
Talk to Nick or Heather at DP, he wont steer you wrong.

I stopped by there a few months ago and I believe it was Heather that helped me.  I inquired about buying a buffer and she said that with the condition of my paint, I could get by with a good claybar job, cleaner wax and sealer wax from them.  I did my car a couple of weeks ago and it is as smooth as a baby's bottom.  Their cleaner wax was a little hard to remove with a towel, but it really did the job.   Apparantly their stuff lasts longer on the car as well.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
Wish I could at least drop by, but I'll be in TX visiting my dad.

The GF and I did some detailing a few weeks ago - washed and waxed the A4 and mazdaspeed6. Of course, it snowed shortly after that but it was good to get a waxing in. Yesterday I put the CH's on and cleaned them up, so expect a spring blizzard any minute now. :P
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
I'm thinking about heading down, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »
Jay, I have 2 PC's, I can be there, I can swing by in the morning on my way home from work and drop them off.  People will need to supply their own pads though.

Let me know if you think  you will need them or not.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »
Jon, yes, we definitely could use them. I understand on the pads, i tried to highlight that in this thread. :)

If you want me to swing by so you don;t have to go out of your way I can come out to your house. Either way works just fine for me.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »
you would have to come out tonight or tomorrow to pick them up since I work Friday night and won't be here in the afternoon.  Not a big deal to drop them off either, you just need to send me your address again.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
I hope the 9news weather is wrong about Saturday, it doesn't look good.

I'll bring about 8-10 half racks of BBQ ribs and a couple growlers of Wynkoop beer.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
Thanks Alan, I think for the most part the weather should be okay until late afternoon, but you never know.

I'll let you guys detailing use the garage / canopy first. I can always finish mine up Sunday.

I will be picking up more food, and beverages tomorrow after work.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
I'll be there just to stop by early, around 8am.  Any one there can oogle the MINI.  I will be loaning my 2 PC's to Jay, so please be careful with them...and you are responsible for your own pads, etc.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
Wow, is this a detail day or a party? :D    I'd be happy to bring something, just let me know-

Ah Frick, I still haven't made it down to DP...I better get on it!

Hope to see you over there Jon, I was thinking of showing up around 9am, but we'll see...
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
I forgot this is a morning gathering.
I'll just bring just one growler of beer, unless some of you are really into downing some brews first thing in the morning.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »
Heck yea!  Isn't everyone into the morning drinking thing??  I was getting ready to revive the ol' beer-bong!  ha-ha 

Honestly though, I just figured the suggested amenities were being brought for lunch.  This being my first gtg, I didn't know how in-depth you guys get with detailing. 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
I may come by early or a little later. I've got to swap out that blown CV tomorrow morning down in Parker.
I love friends with lifts.  ;D

Bring the beer bong, my middle name is Irresponsible. ;)
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Well it is planned for all day as needed, but starting early for those that want an early start. It will be cool, and we might get a sprinkle in the afternoon, but other than that it should be clear sailing for the day.

It will actually be nice that it will be cool, because people can detail outside without the worry of the sun cooking on any chemicals. :)