Author Topic: SS lines no good?  (Read 1219 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
SS lines no good?
« on: March 12, 2004, 01:38:14 AM »
I've hear this several times in the A4 forum.  People have actually cut the OEM lines after installing the Goodridges, and found they already have SS lines.  How disappointing for those suckas.
I've also heard it's just to reinforce the rubber, and that SS lines do make a difference in feel.  I'm not sure I beleive this, and personally wouldn't get SS lines.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
SS lines no good?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 04:17:39 AM »
You know I was thinking the same thing, but I have heard from several people now that the majority of the stock ones are rubber only (Rusty just posted that too on the other topic) and I have also heard replacing these improves brake feel.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

SS lines no good?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 04:17:39 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
SS lines no good?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 12:54:42 PM »
Hmm.  I'd like to drive a car with the SS lines sometime just to see if I can tell a difference.  Compared to my previous car ('87 528e), the brake feel on B5s is really indirect, vague and overboosted.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
SS lines no good?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »
It's the Teflon inner liner on aftermarket SS lines that give the improved feel, because the Teflon doesn't expand like rubber.  The OEM lines don't have Teflon, so the A4 forum guys should still be better off.

Even with SS lines, the B5 brake feel is still indirect, vague, and overboosted.  And the ABS kicks in too soon, IMO.  Grrrr... but I should quit complaining.  If I wanted a race car I should have organized my life so that I had money for one...

But it's still better with SS than w/o.  I have the Neuspeed lines.  If I had to do it over, I'd get Goodridge lines, because they are DOT approved, because they have a covering over the SS.  For racing use, exposed SS is OK, but for everyday road and grit use, the grit gets wedged into the SS mesh, and over time can abrade the Teflon inner liner to a point that the line fails.  Not to alarm anyone - I think this would happen long after a rubber line had dry-rotted and failed - but it is a fact, and is why uncovered SS lines are not DOT approved.  In fact, IIRC the newer Neuspeed lines are covered.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]