Author Topic: The New Fixie  (Read 3121 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
The New Fixie
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:06:56 AM »
Just picked this up for the daily commute - riding the Kona's getting old and eating through serious tread. (well, actually, I walked into the shop and asked if they had anything and they gave it to me "as-is" with no warranty...and no cost ;D)

I got it stripped of all the old parts yesterday (that I had tools to remove). I'm dropping it off tomorrow to get the conversion done. It should be ready to take me everywhere by the end of the week :)

Also ordered a new bag from Chrome Bags to haul my computer and all my crap.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:11:10 AM by jayryan »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: The New Fixie
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
Cool.  Very similar to my 1972 Le Tour city bike.  Love it.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
Yeah, I just looked up the serial number: August 1974. A Chicago build. I can't wait to ride it! Oh yeah, it's a Schwinn Continental. Nothing flashy at the time but cool as hell now.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
Sure cant complain about the price! I dig the color too.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
Where can I find info on my serial number?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Where can I find info on my serial number?

I found mine by accident here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
JR.   I might have some fixie stuff if you need, like single speed chainring bolts, etc.  LMK what you need and if I have it, I'll give it to you.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:34:21 PM »
Cool!  With a little research, I learned the Beer Tour III's 30th birthday was last Friday.  It was made in Japan by Panasonic.

-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
Awesome! That's a nice lookin' bike Pat!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »
here is my old one... wish I never sold it.  I used to put cyclo-cross tires on it for winter commuting... that lead to some interesting situations when I tried to slow down or stop in snow/ice.  It has nice stuff on it, but I only paid for the frame/fork, handlebar, rear cog and hubs/rims to build the wheels. 

Life's too short to be taken seriously

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
jr -  if you are in denver anytime soon and need another bike. I left an older roadbike at my house there. I was intending to build it up as a fixie but never got around to it. All the parts are there and you are welcome to it. Just give me a heads up and my folks can go let you in to get it.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
Well, I picked it up on Friday...they finally got an old crank to go in. I bought a new rear wheel, a new chain and a new front tire for an old used wheel. So I'm barely out $100 total.

And the bike rocks. I rode it to work today after puttzing around on it over the weekend. It's just super-fun to ride. I'll get pics up tomorrow I think. I'm getting the slippery bullhorn bars taped up tomorrow so I'll take pics after that.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »
It's always best to resurrect a REALLY old thread than start a new one on the same topic right?

Anyway, after 6 months of riding the bike everywhere, I hung it up for the winter. Right after I got back from Asia I took it down to the shop to get some much needed tuning. It had gotten rather rickety and I was tightening things and oiling things about every day. I also knew I wanted to keep it and it was going to become a regular for a while.

So, I had some work done on the crank, new pedals (the old ones here falling apart) and a new matching set of wheels with much better hubs, lighter, and actually hold air  :D The last thing I need to do is dig up a new seat post so I can change out my very cool, but very uncomfortable saddle.

So from this:

To this:

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner