Author Topic: E85 mpg's  (Read 960 times)

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
E85 mpg's
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »
I know there has been nuermous debates as to the benefit of E85 and to whether it's really worth switching over or not. I am going to start off by saying that as has been stated numerous times by Randy and myself, on this board and a few others, if you are looking to save a few bucks with the conversion dont bother as this was done solely for performance purposes.

As for the actual MPG per tank on E85 in comparison to 91 octane I have noticed that there has been an average loss of about 115 miles per tank between the two. On 91 oct I was getting roughly around 330 miles per 12 gallons, so about 27.5 mpg. On E85 I am roughly getting 215 miles per the same 12 gallons. 17.9 mpg. Most of the E85 miles have just been to and from work, 14 miles round trip, and very few highway miles. I did notice that coming home from the SCR BBQ a couple weeks ago helped to raise the mpg's slightly, so with more highway driving the balance between the two could decrease even more.

I will be making the first road trip on E85 in a few weeks and am waiting to see what kind of mpg's I will get on nothing but highway miles. I think the best I ever attained on 91 oct during a road trip was around 370 miles to the tank so this will be interesting to see.

Drving habits have changed slightly due to some legal concerns and I am doing my best to stay out of boost as much as possible, never getting much above 5 lbs except for the occasional spirited runs here and there at the weekly gtg's.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:29:51 PM by methodicalmayhem »
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: E85 mpg's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the post Josh, I like the idea of the performance gains and was curious how much of a drop off there would be on MPG with a dd.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: E85 mpg's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »