Author Topic: Patience saves money!  (Read 2740 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Patience saves money!
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
With rising gas costs I have eased up on my driving. We have had a pretty cool and wild weather Spring so it has limited my commuting on the motorcycle unfortunately. Now that we are really warming up I should be able to begin riding every day, but until I can I have had to make some adjustments.

This morning I filled up the Audi, $4.09/gal for 91. $71 total. That is painful, very painful. Up until a few weeks ago I averaged about 19mpg with my commute and weekend driving. I would drive about 75mph for my commute and of course I would always accelerate like everyone one else in my city and highway driving.

The last few weeks I have taken a different approach, I rarely go over 65 on the highway now and I accelerate as best I can without boosting. I keep an eye on my boost gauge to aide me in my quest for more MPG.

When I filled up this morning I was averaging 23.5 MPG, that is almost a 4 gal increase over the 19.9 I was averaging just a few weeks ago. Sure, it takes me a little longer to get places and the impatient bastards behind me get frustrated because I don't floor it to the speed limit. Frankly I don't care.

I love my Audi, but these fuel costs blow. I could be driving something else and have the same complaint so it's not just my Audi.

Anyway, just showing that a little easing up on the pedal and taking a little more time to get places makes a pretty big impact for me. An extra 4 mpg average translates into almost two extra commuting days (~51 miles round trip) per tank for me.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
Re: Patience saves money!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
Nice Jay, I've been doing my best to drive conservatively as well.  Although I have to say, those same "bastard drivers" freak the crap out of me in regards to motorcyclists...especially on the route you take!  Either way, gas prices have actually increased my bargaining capabilities (for a bike) with the wife :D  Only time (and the price of gas) will tell....
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
Riding is always inherently dangerous, but the nice thing is that there are way more people riding now. If you do plan on getting a bike and don't have your endorsement yet spend the ~$250 on one of the safety courses. Well worth the money and you'll be able to walk in and get your endorsement.

Another thing of the fuel economy, as always, keep tires properly inflated and keep things tuned up. Most of our cars can run on lower octane if you have done any modifications, but in the long run you will still spend about the same amount because you will lose MPG's and may end up needing to deal with some maintenance items more often.

The fuel prices suck, but it's still cheaper than buying a new more efficient car. All you 1.8T and 2.0T people can still blow me out of the water on fuel economy. I still can't believe Renee is currently averaging over 25mpg with her city commuting in the Passat, that is better than my highway commuting!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:46 PM »
Yeah totally Jay! I've been taking it super-easy. It started with my radio going out and I was able to really hear that turbo spool but wanted to keep the exhaust note down so I could hear it. That takes a light foot.

Come to discover a get a solid 25mpg all the time. that's 6mpg over what was usual :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »
Not me, you're all so unpatriotic!
Economic Stimulus came along just in time. I was worried about the rising prices but that's 150 gallons of petrol and I'm not saving a dime of it!

See ya'all in traffic court!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
LOL, Vegas is getting our stimulus money. :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
Economic Stimulus came along just in time. I was worried about the rising prices but that's 150 gallons of petrol and I'm not saving a dime of it!

See ya'all in traffic court!

Nice!  I forgot all about that...probably because I got mine quite some time ago and it's already long gone :P  A new refrigerator and dishwasher were too enticing at the time...
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »
My timing was not too good, I sold my Saab 9000cs daily driver that got 25 mpg and got a 4runner that gets 15.  At least I don't DD the Toyota, I mostly drive the A8 (21mpg) and the Ducati (45 mpg) and am starting to ride my burrito-powered bicycle more often too.  The trouble with that is I often throw it in the Toyota and ride the bike in Denver or Ft. Collins :-)

I have been trying to save money in other areas.  Eating out less, wasting less food at home (as a single guy I am not too good at using up leftovers.)  I also bought $1200 worth of King Soopers gift cards 'cause I can use them to gas up at the KS near my house.  I get gas there pretty often anyway, and they added 10% to the value of each so it's like getting 10% off on gas.  Since I also 'prepaid' gas for the next 5-6 months I think I'll do more driving without getting all mopey about the gas prices.  Maybe.

I'd rather save in other areas and still drive for fun right now.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:18:57 PM »
Yeah, we have cut a lot of costs ourselves in other areas because of my commute.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
jay, I dont wanna be critical, but by my math if you are getting an extra 50 miles out of a tank, you are effectively saving 2.5 gallons.  at 4.00 per gal, you are saving $10 by driving more efficiently.  personally I'd rather pay the $10 and hear those turbos spool.

then again I have been missing the turbos for a while now, and it is fun having them back.

my old rover was getting 10mpg. when we bought the new one I went to 16mpg, now having the allroad back I can manage 17-18mpg if I dont change my driving habits.  I am glad usually work at home and dont have to commute.  I did go into the office 3 days this week though.  we'll hope thats the exception not the rule.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:21:39 AM »
I have an 18 gal tank (well 21, uses 3 gal for reserves), if I am getting an extra 4mpg and you take 4 times 18 that is 72 more miles I am getting out of a tank of gas than I was before. My commute is ~51 miles round trip, so I get about a day and a half (almost) extra commuting. Given the mixed speeds of my commute anyway, going 65 or 75 is not that big of a difference because of traffic.

Sure, the city driving is what really kills my MPG's. It is really hard to accelerate at a slow rate without it being clear that everyone around you is pissed off :)

Another thing, I don't make the same income as others, so saving $10 a week (or so) on fuel adds up. So if I want to complete some home projects and get the stuff I want (like my home theater junk) gotta scrape those pennies somewhere. :D

I agree the savings is not astronomical, I never claimed it was, but the higher the price of 91 gets, the more impactful it is for me at the very least.

Now if I were you, I would be going through fuel like there's no tomorrow now that you got the Allroad back. :) I can;t wait to see it again and hopefully get a ride. I'll bring a couple bucks for gas ;)

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »
I just ran a tank of regular through my 1.8T Jetta as an experiment.  I figured that I would see some decreased performance and lower milage. I usually do not drive too hard, so I wasn't too worried about doing any damage to the car.

I was surprised to not see much of a difference in performance, and even more surprised to not see any difference in MPG.  I got 28 in mostly city driving & short trips (my daily commute is only 6 miles each way).  I also calculated that the difference between regular and premium gas is worth about 3 MPG, so I effectively got 31 MPG.  You gotta love a 4 cylinder engine!

I put in another tank of regular to see if I can replicate these results.  I'm thinking that I may see more of a loss in performance & MPG when the weather gets hotter.

My experiment may take a while to complete, as I just got my 23 year old economy car back on the road.  My '85 GTI will probably become my daily driver for a while.  I'm more interested in seeing how much more gas a 16v engine uses than an 8v.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »
My wife's B6 1.8T avant can get 34mpg on the freeway.  She regularly gets 32+ mpg on her commute.

My old stage 3 S4 avant got around 20mpg.  The M3 gets 23-24 mpg...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
My wife's B6 1.8T avant can get 34mpg on the freeway.  She regularly gets 32+ mpg on her commute.

I used to ;D But have huge injectors and lots of programming  :D So instead, I ride the bike. It was good this morning but I need to get that fixie going. I bailed in an intersection cause my chain torqued off :/ Hurt like hell and I'm sure I pissed off the guy in the F-350 and 5th wheel trailer I cut in front of :P

It's just not meant for low gear torquing...

Jay, regardless of what Mr. Moneybags Andrew says ;) your original statement holds true. $10 is $10. That's like, two cups of coffee!! Or a gallon of gas. Wait, my bad, TWO gallons of gas ???
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »

Yep. I drove from Broomfield to downtown this morning keeping this thread in mind and got 33mpg. That is, 33mpg WITHOUT BOOST. I shifted at or before 3k, and a lot of that time was spent cruising around 65mph or less on the highway.

With boost (read: "normal" driving), I typically see about 25mpg average for mixed driving.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM