Author Topic: Glorious Day for Autobahn!!  (Read 2133 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Glorious Day for Autobahn!!
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »
After months, yes months, we were able to return Andrew's Allroad to him today!!!

I can not thank him enough for understanding the amount of time we took to get his car dialed in and running right.  I am looking forward to his impressions and (no offense) not seeing the Allroad for quite a while.

Now of to do two turbo swaps on an S4 and A6.  Fun, Fun!!

- Randy ???
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: Glorious Day for Autobahn!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
randy - what caused the issues with the allroad that you don't normally see with the S4's?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
Oh man, it was still there, what a nightmare.  Glad it is finally back up and running...not as glad as Andrew is thought :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »
I am VERY happy.

The car is running really well.  I'll post up the whole story for Randy here in a little bit.

Eric - the answer to your question is that they stopped making S4s in '01.  in '02 Audi switched to the BEL motor in the 2.7T and the BEL is rather significantly different in the load tables, maps, and programming than the previous motor used in the S4.   Basically that causes software issues when I ran the old code in the BEL motor.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »
OK, here is my version of the story.  Randy, feel free to correct any inaccuracies, but I think I have it right.

Let me start with Woohoo! The allroad is finally home! For those that weren't aware I have spent the last 12 weeks getting to know my new to me land rover discovery, while my allroad spent time at Autobahn Premier Service in Denver. Randy and Todd were probably as happy to have my car leave there as I was to get it back. They put in a ton of work to get my car back to running condition.

So, what was wrong? I was seeing 2 problems. First was in my boost. It would build to the 21 lbs I was aiming for, but was very inconsistent in how it arrived there. sometimes the power would be full on. other times it would feel like the boost would build terribly slowly. The second problem was for lack of a better term "hanging revs". when I would push in the clutch and/or lift off the gas, the engine would hold the revs exactly where they were for a full second and a half before letting them fall as one would expect them to. These symptoms were accompanied by a fault code - "17550 P1142 035 Load detection: value below lower limit".

When I brought the car in Randy and Todd suspected a problem in the load tables given the fault code. they spent lots of time logging the car. they got AWE and GIAC involved. Over the next couple weeks they logged the car trying different intakes, different MAF's etc. They even asked Nappy from the AW allroad board who is running a very similar setup for logs from his car for comparison (the one difference being the lack of altitude in the Bay Area which was contributing to my problems here in Denver). (BTW, thanks to Nappy for the help). Over the course of the logging they determined that when AWE/GIAC made the code I was using they had based it on the code developed for the B5 S4's 2.7T. the problem with that was that in '02 Audi discontinued using that 2.7T and introduced the new BEL motor. They determined that the differences between these motors were pretty significant when it came to the way they handled the load tables. the BEL has 2x the load tables of the previous motor, and the load tables are heavily integrated into more systems in the car - the suspension and ABS for example.

The net result of all the logging and weeks of work was that Autobahn was able to prove that the issues were not related to the specific setup of my car, but were related to AWE/GIAC using the S4's code as the base for the software. So, that left us in a bind, we new it was a problem in the software, but we still needed to get my car running. Discussion with AWE/GIAC yielded that they would need to get to build code for the BEL motor, and that to do so GIAC would need to have a car on site there in CA. That is something that is going to take a while and that I will not be waiting for. I would caution any of you contemplating stage III in an allroad to be sure your choice of software has been done for the BEL motor.

Knowing that the software wouldnt change soon, Randy and Todd set about trying to fix the symptoms I was experiencing. They systematically tried many intakes, MAFs, different N75s, and manual boost controllers. They hit on a combination to fix my slow boost building condition when paired with some tweaks to my current file. Then they set out to deal with the hanging revs issue. There they looked to the diverter valves and ways to get them to dump the boost even faster so the car could figure out the load had changed. They went through more trial and error but finally got to a solution that works.

After 12 long weeks, Autobahn has learned TONS about the BEL motor 2.7Ts. I now have my car back, and it runs really really well. If any of you are experiencing these same issues, I'd suggest giving Autobahn a call. They now know the BEL motor!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
Congrats Andrew!!!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
Wow, that's great news, Andrew.  Do you have any projected HP/TQ figures with your current setup, or are you planning to get more detailed with a dyno run soon?

What are your impressions of it now that the stage III is complete?

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 01:57:48 AM »
Wow, that's great news, Andrew.  Do you have any projected HP/TQ figures with your current setup, or are you planning to get more detailed with a dyno run soon?

What are your impressions of it now that the stage III is complete?

Dub

other stage III 2.7T's usually run in the 350-380 wheel HP range, I would anticipate being there too, but I would like to get it on a dyno to see.  the car pulls really strong.

the stage III has been complete for about a year now, but had been pretty inconsistent.  When it runs right though (which is hopefully all the time now), wow - it is just scary fast. 

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 03:38:35 AM »
I had issues with my GTI too.   Sometimes it woudl work great, other times it just ran slow or would throw codes.  It took Joel a long time to figure out what was the matter. 
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »
wow. it has been a long road andrew. hopefully the new code works right and the car will be good to go for a while. I can;t imagine how frustrating it has been.