Author Topic: Top Gear USA hosts announced  (Read 2090 times)

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Top Gear USA hosts announced
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/16/top-gear-usa-hosts-announced/

Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Top Gear USA hosts announced
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
booooooooo.  That show is gonna tank.  That is all.  Heard about the hosts earlier this week, not good.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »
I agree... the show doesn't look too good.  I saw a clip of Adam Carolla and Tanner Foust doing a review of the Pontiac G6 GT.... it just wasn't interesting nor fun to watch like Top Gear.   What makes Top Gear so good is the personalities of the hosts. 
Life's too short to be taken seriously

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:52:02 AM »
i think they need another dodgy english fella......just a thought.. :D
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »
as much as I want to cut a joke about the english, red coats, etc, etc,.....I have to say, I agree with you.  The need some real personality, and they just don't have it. IMHO.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
Time will tell of course but I hope it works. It's not just about the hosts, it's about how much money NBC invests. BBC spends tons on Top Gear (cameras, locations, etc.). Also, what time slot? Will they give it a chance or stick it against crap like American Idol?

Previous chatter had mentioned more high-profile hosts (i.e., Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld). While that might have attracted a larger viewing audience at first, I wonder whether they could share the stage. As they say in sports, there's only one ball. In fact, a year ago there was talk about Clarkson/Hammond/May hosting it themselves over here but honestly that would have its own obstacles. Maybe the news guys can make it work, providing they have some passion. Will the stunt guy (Foust) do the track driving or will they have the fat American Stig? LOL

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
ahh........."some say he can breathe under water and that his feet appear on a swedish postage stamp.....we know him only as the Stig"

not to get into an English / American thing but, we have a dry style of humor which americans either love or hate. I know people that love Top gear and also people that hate it....the show, thanks to Jeremy Clarkson, has turned into part car show, part comedy.
I guess what i am trying to say is that not all great "foreign" shows can be translated. Now i could see a version of "Sex and the City" in London......whereas "Scrubs" set in a hospital in the Congo probably would not get an Emmy. I think it will be very difficult to make a US version of the show that compares to the English one, just because of the language/humor differences.
 Not to say one country is better than the other.....if i didnt love america why would i live here?
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 04:51:16 PM »
I simply don't care to know about American cars. What we have just aren't fun to know about. Other than that, it's glamorized hip-hop celebrity type cars. I like Top Gear because they make ever man feel like they could own a car on the show. I just don't see it working.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
"Some say he never blinks, and that he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

There certainly is something to the humo(u)r thing, but another issue is the tastes of viewers is disparate. After all, there's people who enjoy watching junky reality TV!

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »
I simply don't care to know about American cars. What we have just aren't fun to know about. Other than that, it's glamorized hip-hop celebrity type cars. I like Top Gear because they make ever man feel like they could own a car on the show. I just don't see it working.

good point, most american cars just seem...blah
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS