Author Topic: VW can being really disappointing  (Read 1619 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
VW can being really disappointing
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »
We decided to entertain maybe keeping the Passat. We have one payment left and just under 2 months left with the car. The residual, had VW not screwed us in the first place, should be about right on.

Unfortunately, these cars have not held their value at all. I called the dealer to see if they would negotiate on the price. Their response is that it is cast in stone.

Keep in mind, Volvo and I believe a few others will talk business when a lease is up. In the end, they will have to take it back into inventory, it will probably just be sent to auction and sold for a loss anyway, then end up back on the market and sold for less than the residual.

It will cost money and time for them to do all this and it could be potentially as simple as saying, okay, we can sell it for this much if you want to keep it.

Of course I have never really had this issue before, the last Passat was worth a fair amount more than it's residual and I was unemployed when that lease expired. It was painless to just go from lease to purchase.

Anyway, I just thought I would toss that out there. I mean, I understand if the market is favorable for a car, but if it's not why would you now want to do everything you can to not take it back. Chalk up another $3-4K VW will have to write off in losses. Shareholders take note.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: VW can being really disappointing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
stupid, stupid, studid business practices.

What butt heads.

Guess you all will be changing cars in a few months.  Their loss.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
'da bahztah-dz... Being in sales, as well as a consumer of course, it truly amazes me how ignorant businesses/people really are ???

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
It's funny how they do that, but on the other hand they seem to be able to get a lot for used cars at the dealerships.  Maybe they don't get much of a commission for selling the car to the lessee.  Sometimes you can negotiate for stuff like extended warranties though.

Good luck,
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
Ours could get sold at the dealership because it is in excellent shape. Honestly, for what they would need to sell it for I can't imagine anyone paying that money for a 2006. Unless they are a sucker. I guess there is one of those born every minute so maybe they can. :D

Oh well, just makes us get our butts in gear to get something else.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
Get a MINI, I can help you work on it :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
jay -  if you don't mind me asking, what is the going price on the 06 passat's now?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »
From what I am seeing PP is getting about 15-16K for a car with 35-50K miles. Dealers are asking more of around 17-18 including CPO. This is for a 2.0T with package 1 roughly. The package 2 fetches a little more and the Value Editions go for a little less. However. I suspect a lot of dealers and PP don't price the car as a value edition on those models.

We actually just got back from the dealer looking at 2008's can you believe it. There are some pretty good incentives going on right now with Passat's