Author Topic: creaking noise  (Read 7976 times)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
creaking noise
« on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:16 PM »
I've got this wicked creaking noise coming from the suspension on my front left side.  It's totally apparent at low speeds when going over bumps, etc. and sounds like an old spring mattress, "eek".."eek".  The creak is there when I press on the front end too (but the tension is still okay).  I've got 86k miles and I'm pretty sure itís not the control arms.  I'd usually swing by APS, but muy intuition  :-\ tells me that they're going to be pretty busy the next few weeks. 

Sway bar bushings??  Any ideas? 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
Re: creaking noise
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
Might be your Tire Rod Ends.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
Okay, I need some advice here-  As I figured, Randy is just too swamped right now.  Werner's is right down the road from my work and I need a vehicle for my 30 mile communte (each way), so the 10.000 rental drew me in. 

Werner's just called back and the creaking noise is indeed a TRE.  The grease in the boot is gone and there is metal to metal contact.  Chris (kind of a dick IMO) gave me a ridiculous estimate (strike 1), so I called him out on it.  Furthermore, I inquired on the Meyle H.D. TRE's and he said there wasn't such a thing (strike 2).  Later, he calls back (backstepping) and says, "oh I can get that H.D. one and its actually ten bucks cheaper".  (I can get both L and R side shipped for less than he quoted me for just a single OEM TRE.)  Also, Werner's charged me 50 bucks just to look at it (strike 3).  If you're going to get an eventual sale out of it, why charge your customer to diagnose what your going to fix...who does that?  Call me crazy, but being in sales/customer service, that's just dumb/bad business- 

My question is, what the heck should I do?  I can't afford the rental any longer (as it goes to 30 bucks a day after today).  I don't want to cause damage by driving 300 miles per week.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :(
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
Wow...surprising- no one wants to chime in eh?  Thanks to PasSoup for the right answer though [ding-ding-ding!]

Oh well, I figured things out on my end.  H.D.'s (on both sides no less), installed, 4 wheel align for 30% less than I would've gotten one OEM TRE from Werner's...and without Chris' attitude- priceless :)

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »
if you can't get into see randy at APS, call brian at avalon. He was able to fit me in a couple times when aps was backed up with projects. Both will do excellent work. Phil over at Avalon is a audi tech and very easy to work with.

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »
I can't remember where I ordered mine from, but I did take them to Randy and he had them installed with anti-seize in about 75 minutes if that.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
I grabbed mine from ECS tuning- 

Story of my life: everytime my car takes a dump, Randy's swamped....oh wait, Randy's always swamped!  ...$lucky bastard$ :D
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
Many folks have got theirs from ECS and have been quite satisfied. I haven't done this job myself, but I think we have a writeup on it and some pictures in the gallery...oh and guess what....

BAM!

http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/index.php/topic,1112.msg11270.html

Check it out. When do your parts get in?

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:04:45 PM »
Thanks Jay- you know I actually did see that write up back when I was lurking one day.  (Which is probably where I got the idea to get the H.D.'s in the first place ;))

They should be to my place anytime now and they'll be installed tomorrow ;D
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
Re: creaking noise-Updated
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 02:26:53 AM »
[sigh]  Okay...so I planned on my ECS tuning TRE's arriving on Friday afternoon (as they had gone out for delivery at 7am on that very day.)  By 5pm I began to get a little concerned, as they hadn't arrived yet. I call UPS, can't get to a physical person...yada, yada, yada-  Bottom line; UPS F-ed up, they apparently hold no liability for doing so (even though I shipped them 2nd day air ???) and they won't arrive until Monday.  Work is busy, my schedule doesn't allow for flexibilty, so I opted to source the parts in town and have the repair done as scheduled. 

Car get's new TRE's, (preemptively) getting both sides done (as originally, Werner's diagnosed the creaking noise as being my Left TRE).  After getting them replaced, I hop in the car and the creaking noise is STILL there!!!  WTF?  Keep in mind, the noise is improved and a bit different now.  The sound isn't there so much on the 'up and down' motion, but more so when turning the wheel left to right...sounds like two raquet balls or balloons rubbing against each other- a lower control arm, right??  I am so pissed and fed up right now...needless to say my wife is about ready to take a bat to the old Audi.  (One thing to be noted however, I've driven an '08 Dakota and been taken for a ride in a '05 WRX in the past week, and neither one come close to the A4). 

So here I am, Sunday night, my car's still jacked up and I'm $$ out...yet again >:(

I am getting so sick and tired of things craping out, money being continually drained, and still having the uncertainty of things to come.  I'm not trying to express a sob story here.  I'm well aware that these cars need regular upkeep, but come one!  I've had the worst luck with this damn car-  I get it at 68k miles; car looks and feels great- one owner, maintenance records, clear car fax, etc.  No sooner than a few weeks after owning the car, BOOM! replacements to date:  clutch, all upper control arms, multiple boost leaks, front rodors, front brake pads, thermostat, CTS, timing belt, CV boots, cam seals, rear diff seals, etc....I haven't even put 20k on the car since...and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things; not to mention random sh**...sunroof problems, heated seats dead, electrical etc. etc. 

Well there you have it-  I'm frustrated, pissed off, broke, and am looking at a long week of work- not to mention my car's still F-ed up and sounds like a broken record every time I go over a bump or touch the wheel.     
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
Welcome to Audi/VW ownership.  It is either your sway bar bushings, end links that are going bad, or bad upper or lower control arm bushings.  All of those can cause significant noises.  Once you work all those issues out, it should be solid, but the B5 platform suspension is not known for it's longevity when it comes to OEM parts, IMHO.  Not to mention the complexity of the suspension itself, when compared to other suspension systems.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
It is painful, you are just at the magic mileage. It is really difficult when you purchase a car then have to sink a bunch of money into it. In the end, it will be another 60-80K before you need to do it again. And if you upgrade some of the parts, meaning use some of the alternative replacement parts like the heavy duty TRE's and so forth then you should go longer.

You are doing the right things for it in the long run, and you are learning how to do things yourself which translates into lower costs.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »
In the end, it will be another 60-80K before you need to do it again.

This is the argument I keep telling not only my wife, but myself as well.  Although, I have to tell you, I'm getting to the point where I can barely convince myself of this anymore :-\  Just today, I'm driving into work and I notice my coolant temp guage is teetering between "C" and just under straight up and down...back and forth, back and forth.  This has already happened, so the CTS and Thermostat were swapped out...it's been no more than 6k miles since, and wouldn't you know it, I'm "revisiting" the same damn problem!

You are doing the right things for it in the long run, and you are learning how to do things yourself which translates into lower costs.

I wish this were the case-  My HOA (yea, MY HOA :P) won't allow me to do any work in my complex.  The minute you open your hood, they start sounding off.  ...therefore, I haven't acquired many tools or experience in doing anything myself, which translates to $$.  I try to be a smart consumer by telling Werner's to F-off, then I get screwed on the incoming parts, and have to go buy another set of TRE's (speaking of which, you may be seeing some TRE's in the 'For Sale' section)....bla bla bla, whatever I seem to do, it just never pans out-  I don't think there's been a single moment since owning this car that I haven't felt uneasy about its reliability--again, my problem; not anyone elses, but it's just getting old real quick :(
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
Well I am just down the street, so always feel free to drop me a line or give me a call. I know my garage isn't the largest, but I have a compressor and air tools, some ramps, BIG jack stands and some tools and a friendly dog. :D

I do feel your pain. Sometimes it is never ending. Just like everything in life sometimes there are just bad apples out there. I don't fully believe you have one of those. It's always timing you know.

I always tell the story of years ago when Renee and I first started dating and her recently acquired Mercedes 190E started needing some work. It was a 1987 and this was 1997. For those cars this was about the time things started needing replacement. Like the really expensive stuff. Since we were just newly dating I wasn't about to foot the bill, not that I could anyway we were both broke.

Still, it was just added onto other owed bills and the work was done. But it was all done at Mercedes dealers and shops which was not cheap at all. So two broke 20 somethings just watched about $3K worth of work get sunk into a 10 year old car and it seemed the world was coming to an end. Keep in mind it was literally one thing after another over about a 6 month span.

After that though, the car was fine. It was built right and though it was totally painful to go through that experience financially, until the car was totaled because of an accident it was problem free until that happened in 2003.

I know that's not reassuring and not exactly the same thing you are going through. I also know that there is kind of a breaking point in all of us where we spend so much time and energy....and money...on something that we no longer enjoy it.

Just always try and stay on the positive side of it and remember everyone here will always help out as best they can. Having a support group always makes it easier. :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
Thanks, that's very nice of you.  I won't put my problems on you, but you are just down the road, maybe we can have a beer one of these days :D  [pm sent]
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
I am available during the week for some help as well.  You know where I live :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
I am available during the week for some help as well.  You know where I live :)

Thanks Jon!  Too bad you and Jay don't live near each other...then I could [Evenly] wear out my welcome at both of your houses  :D 

I checked with Brian, but Avalon's booked out till 7/14.  Hmmm, I'll pay attention to my coolant temp guage on the way home and see if it's still bouncing around.  Initially, I was going to turn my music up to the point I couldn't hear my suspension ???, but we'll see-  If I'm having temp issues, I may need to address this sooner, in which case it would seem more feasible to "kill both the damn birds"! 

I'm not one to take advantage of others' kindness (unless it pertains to HID installation, detail days, or buffer useage!) but depending on any suggestions, or the ease of replacement of the culprit, I'm always willing to reimburse/make it right for any time/tools/knowledge that is provided ;)
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »
upper control arms are not that bad, but lower control arms you need a ball joint spreader, and I won't touch them.  TRE's I don't mess with either.  Sway bars are not bad either.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
upper control arms are not that bad, but lower control arms you need a ball joint spreader, and I won't touch them.  TRE's I don't mess with either.  Sway bars are not bad either.

I have a feeling, and with my crappy luck, it'll be the lower control arm/s.  TRE's were just done :)  woo hoo, mark those off the growing list 8)
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
yeah, I think with your luck, it will be all 8 control arms :(

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »
No kidding-  I'm going to look into acquiring all 4 lowers and getting those installed.  we'll see what happen$$....

As far as the temp sensor goes; for the first thirty minutes or so, the needle was straight up and down as expected.  Immedietely following, the damn thing dropped to the first hash mark, then almost up to the center, then back down, then back up....this all happened within a ten minute period or so.  Ideas??  This is the same situation that occured this morning.  By the time I had driven 3/4 of the way to work, the temp sensor started going hay-wire- same sequence. 

I'll pay attention on the way to work tomorrow.  After that, I'll check my money situation and purchasing the lowers (as I'm almost positive that's what it is; even though the sway bar bushings are weighing in as well).

Keep your fingers crossed for a good outcome :D.  If I can reach a constant in my B5 prob's (for once), I'm pretty sure I can convince my $financial$ advisor for a two-wheeled beast by next summer!!

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Kraylon

• Stock
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 05:29:19 AM »
i bet you it is front sway bar end links (which i also has a brand new pair in my garge) i had the same noise you today i got under the car and looked around and noitced that one of my agency power end links needed to be tighten up and the noise went away.

the end links that our car have stock are know to were out fast and we don't really get much better to choose from, so if you need them let me know ill let them go for cheap since i don't need them.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »

**Update time:

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to DenverPat ;D.  Not only did he take the time to address my concerns, but he met me the very next day (today), shared his experience, took the car for a drive, spent about 30 minutes talking with me, and agreed that this is something that needs some attention.  Pat, next time I see you, beerzz are on me...and thanks for the "dirty mags", I'll make sure the wife doesn't find them, LOL!

I swung the car by Champagne Motors [wow, there's actually a shop in town that'll give me the time of day] and they agreed with Pat's diagnosis- lower control arm.  [*Attention all repair shops*]----> Their price was a bit high for my taste, but in all reality I'll pay a bit more for some customer service :-\.  (If I didn't have a second avenue where they're able to do the work sooner, I'd proceed with Champagne).  Please keep in mind, it's not like I have money in my wallet to burn; as with any unforeseen repair, I'm simply putting it on plastic and paying it off as quick as I'm able.  But this car is my DD and downtime literally costs me more than paying a bit extra for a shop that'll actually return my calls, squeeze me in, and get the work done.  I perceive that as value and worth a bit more IMHO.

This whole experience has really made me think who's going to get my future business.  In addition, there's been some fine upstanding rmcb5'ers that have not only offered their advice, but their garage/time as well...you know who you are ;).

So here we are... I'm going to go a little overboard here and have both the (left) front lower control arms replaced.  The control arms will be purchased from either Import Parts Warehouse (off Kalamath) or Import Car Parts Company (Dartmouth/Sante Fe).  Granted, there may be a place or two out there I can squeeze a bit of a better price, but both of these Local companies have been there when I needed them and proven themselves reliable, have quality parts In Stock, and offer fair prices.  The shop doing the repair may be a little unorthodox for euros, but they installed my TRE's when I needed them and they also offered an install price for the control arms that can't be beat.  Rest assured, if this doesn't fix the problem I'll be screaming #$@**@-.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:35 PM »
Pat is awesome!

I have used Champagne in the past. When I had my old 2.7T A6 they were the only guys I let work on my car other than myself. That was before we had what we have now in terms of shop competition.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 11:46:34 PM »
Pat is awesome!

Lmao, I welcome anyone who wants to segway/thread jack into a "we-luv-Pat" thread!

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »
Pat's a dick.  What does he know about control arms?  ;)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
 :-[
Glad to hear things are working out, Kingtut.  Pretty crappy situation, but it sounds like you're making the most of it.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Lol, yea I'd say (so far) this is the "perfect storm of '08"! :P
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
Okay, picked up both front-left/lower control arms, with stabilizer (U-joint).  However, this is my concern: I picked up the rear control arm and stabilizer; both Meyle.  But they didn't have a Meyle front control arm; it was between a rather 'shabby' (in a bad way) looking Febi Bilstein and a Hamburg-Technic. Normally I would go with Febi no questions, but the joints didn't feel sealed/contained; there was black sh**/grease around the joints.  Upon observing the Hamburg, it felt a hair lighter than the Febi, but other than that, totally solid and looked/felt quality.

Please keep in mind, $$$ is a HUGE concern at this point and upon speaking with other distributors, I payed significantly less than my other options...Beck Arnley/Moog; which were roughly 3x's+ the $$.  I could order Meyle from a website, but then I have to deal with BS UPS and shipping costs.  Not to mention, I'm having these installed on Saturday-

Ideas/experiences/suggestions??
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
I have no experience with any of the brands....the ones I have seen replaced have been OEM.  Guess it comes down to cost benefit, how much cost it is to you, how long they last, how long you plan on keeping the car, etc.