Author Topic: Well...the 1.8t isn't as good as I thought  (Read 5372 times)

silentrun

• n00balicious
Well...the 1.8t isn't as good as I thought
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »
Ever notice that we never do research on potential problems for our cars until it becomes our problem? Well my problem came up for engine oil pressure in my 18T. Supposedly it's caused by not changing the oil on time or using low quality crap. But I've always gotten my oil changed by McDonald Audi every 5k mile; goes to show you once again not to go there. You may wanna check to be sure that you don't have a sludge problem if you have a 97-04 18T or a 98-04 Passat 18T. The warranty is 8 yrs unlimited miles for this, but for me it's still not good enough.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Well...the 1.8t isn't as good as I thought
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:28:24 AM »
Ugh....sorry to hear.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:28:24 AM »

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:29:03 AM »
I've always gotten my oil changed by McDonald Audi every 5k mile; goes to show you once again not to go there.

Tru dat!

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:29:55 AM »
When I had a 1.8T the dealer was always trying to sell me dinosaur oil changes and not the prescribed synthetic (which was available but for more money.)  I always used synthetic.  What oil were you getting?  I thought it was weird that they wanted to sell me an oil change that did not meet warranty requirements, and this was well after the sludge issue was well-known.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
I went to grease monkey once and they decided to put 5w20 in my car because they didnt have enough 5w30.  I refused payment and demanded a free oil change.  They didnt even ask me or inform me until it was time to pay. 

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
When I had a 1.8T the dealer was always trying to sell me dinosaur oil changes and not the prescribed synthetic (which was available but for more money.)  I always used synthetic.  What oil were you getting?  I thought it was weird that they wanted to sell me an oil change that did not meet warranty requirements, and this was well after the sludge issue was well-known.

-Joel.

I saw on the invoice that it's supposed to be 5w30 synthetic. When I went to Grease Monkey, they tried to sell me the low end crap too, but I opt'd for the synthetic juice. I honestly think I'd have to kill myself if I went with a low grade oil in a forced induction car of any type.

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
Well I had to chime in on this because engine sludge should not be in issue in these cars even though it seems to be. First off I must say that if you own a beautiful 1.8t audi or vw there should only be one oil that goes in there from DAY 1 or DAY 1 of your ownership and that is MOBIL-1 0w-40 euro formula full synthentic. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

2nd. You should take the time to get to know your car and what better way then to change your own oil. This is very easy to do even for the not at all mechanically inclined people. 

3rd. If your not mechanically inclined in some way shape or form, Or do not have a nice bank account. THE 1.8T is not for you.

4th. Never ever ever ever trust a fast lube place or even a dealership for that matter.  WHO knows what there putting in your car when you purchase full synthentic. you dont thats for sure.

Im not trying to be rude but seriously change your own oil so you know whats going in there. ALSO for you all with engine sludge seaform it a few times that should help alot.
www.seafoamsales.com/

video of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4EfjUU5o4&feature=related

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »
We are here for those of you that do not want to DIY.  I like to think we get it right - Full synthetic, OEM filters and we always give a look over to the car when it is in the air.

Best of luck!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:19:05 AM »
Randy,
        I was most deffinatly 100% never came into my mind talk about you and your shop in my previous post.  Your the exception to ever rule. I dont live in CO but from posting here I know you do the best work out there.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
Not to worry, no offense taken.

It just amazing to me some times how badly Jiffy Lube and other "Quick" car places can screw up cars.  It is a wonder any of them are still in business.  Somewhere on this site is a rant from a while back I posted on that topic.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »
What's worse about this though, is that it was the dealer doing the oil changes. I mean what do you do? VW always tells you to have the dealer service your car and if you do, and this happens there is something wrong.  Even with the extended warranty period they had done it should go further if you can show proof.

PeakEurosport_Kim

• n00balicious
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
Sadly, while there are some great mechanics at the dealers & some wonderful people, in my personal experience (I worked in the service dept of a local dealership) it is in the category of "business ethics" that they fall incredibly short. I can probably speak for Randy (even though I have never met him) and any other independent service center out there - We didn't go into business to make money (sure, that is a goal!!), we went out on our own so we could have the freedom to treat customers the way they deserve to be treated.

It is frustrating when you go to the dealer expecting to pay more but at least have it done right & things don't end up that way...
Card carrying member of Audi-holics Anonymous....

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:25:01 PM »
I couldn't have said it better my man.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »
We are here for those of you that do not want to DIY.  I like to think we get it right - Full synthetic, OEM filters and we always give a look over to the car when it is in the air.

Best of luck!

Randy & Todd are great wrench's and can be trusted to take care of your car. They worked on my car and ton  :)

bog4rt -  The mobil 1 you linked to is not a true synthetic. based on US law it is tagged as a full synthetic, but it really isn't. If i have time later i will provide you the details to the actual break down of the base stock 3 vs 4. It is a very good oil, but when they went from a base stock 4 to a base stock 3 in 2001-ish it became a synthetic blend. Thus the name change to supersyn.

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
Well I had to chime in on this because engine sludge should not be in issue in these cars even though it seems to be. First off I must say that if you own a beautiful 1.8t audi or vw there should only be one oil that goes in there from DAY 1 or DAY 1 of your ownership and that is MOBIL-1 0w-40 euro formula full synthentic. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Out of curiousity why 10w40 instead of 5w-40?

And Randy knows that if this wasn't a warranty repair, and that he wasn't moving his shop during this time, I would have gone to him before I'd done anything. In fact, he was the first one I called after I looked up the problem on teh interwebs. I'm a little worried that you may not be covered under the extended warranty if you do change your own oil though for the obvious reasons. It's not hard for me to do, I just can't do it because of where I live. I done it plenty in my old 2.8Q, when I lived at my parents, but can't do that in apts ya know?

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »
Got the car back finally on Saturday. and confirmed why I hate dealership repairs. took em 2+ weeks to get that shit done, and I told them to take a look at the climate control because it wasn't working as I was bringing it in, so the fuckers charged me $112 to replace the fucking fuse.  >:( >:( >:( I'm pretty pissed off about it. I talked to the Service Manager, Mike, and basically was told this is the basic fee, you're fucked. So yeah...I don't know much about diagnosing electrical systems, but I guess it's my fault that I didn't check the damn fuse before telling them to take a look at it. Lesson learned, and prestige audi has been added to my list of shitty dealerships.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
Try Customer Care:
1-800-822-2834 (AUDI)

A full hour seems a bit high for a fuse.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 02:23:23 AM »
Lesson learned, and prestige audi has been added to my list of shitty dealerships.

All the dealerships are shit really. It's sad that it's come to this but hey, it's an opportunity for independent garages (like APS) to step up and take a bigger share of the market, especially for out of warranty work.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
Try Customer Care:
1-800-822-2834 (AUDI)

A full hour seems a bit high for a fuse.

-Joel.

It's not the charge for the fuse. Prestige has this diagnostic fee, which they charge you for troubleshooting. Minimum is like an hour. They did this to me back in 2004 when their labor rates were only $90. My MAF was toast and it fell under the extended warranty.

However, they claim I had a loose hose clamp on one of my bypass valves and charged me $90 to tighten it. They did not replace the MAF.

I picked up the car, drove off hte lot, in 3 blocks my CEL came on. Mother f&^%$#@s! Anyway, you can call and complain as did I, but it is a diagnostic charge and I believe it is on the little work order thing you agree too. It is not right b any means, but it's their choice.

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
Yeah...lesson learned for sure...not to mention it makes Randy so much more of a commodity.  :D