Author Topic: Oil Sensor light?  (Read 5486 times)

knightstick

• n00balicious
Oil Sensor light?
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
This light flashed yellow last night. Anyone know if this is serious, or just a bad sensor? Afraid to drive it anywhere right now. Help.

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
Re: Oil Sensor light?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
What kind of car are we talking about?  Generally, oil lights are not something to take lightly, and red lights are usually more serious than yellow.  Have you checked the oil level yet?  What were the circumstances around the light flashing?  Was it idling, or were you reving or cornering?  Is the light still on?

I guess we need some more info.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
Oh, and welcome to the site! :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »
Looks like a B6 A4 from the avatar, 1.8T or a 3.0 V6?

First thing I would do as mentioned is check your oil level. You might be getting low, though I don;t know if these cars actually warn about low oil or just oil pressure.

If it is a 1.8T how many miles are on it, have you done regular oil changes? Sludge is a concern with the 1.8T.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »
Thanks. Its a 1.8t, 2002 quattro. It came on just minutes after I cranked it up. I had not even backed out of the parking lot. I drove it about 2 miles around the block, no issues, then parked it. I plan on checking the oil when the sun goes down. So far, its only yellow, and not a red light. Its not really flashing, it just came on and stays on. I am at 84,902 miles so an oil change is just days away. I always use Mobil 1, and do them every 5K miles on time. Not driven hard, or cornered hard.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:58:45 PM »
I change it with Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5K on the button. It has 84,902 on the odo.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »
Keep in mind the 1.8T consumes oil, I believe they say 1Qt is not unreasonable to eat up per 1K miles. So if you are at about 5K and it is eating up oil you might be really low and it could be the (excuse the term) "idiot light" letting you know you are about to be in trouble.

So, either low on oil, sludge or pump issue would be my guess. I hope it's just low oil. I would be really hesitant to drive it until you can get some more firm details on levels and such.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
I hope its just a quart low? I guess thats possible? If its just a sensor issue, and stays yellow, rather than turns red, how bad would be to drive it a few miles a couple of times a wekk until I can afford to service it?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
I doubt it would be a quarts low, if it is a true warning light for low oil it would be more like, you are off the dipstick type deal. You can add oil, even if you need a change. If it is low, add what you need to get you to your oil change.

If it is not low and the light is on, it could be the pump or sludge or sludge causing a pump problem maybe.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »
The owners manual shows a seperate warning for low oil, but not one for sensor? I hope its not a pump problem? I just know if I call the dealer about it, they will say "bring it on in!"

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »
So what does the owner's manual say that this light is for?  Oil level or pressure?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »
If it is the engine oil sensor faulty warning then don't drive the car at all. Call the dealer or a shop. At least that's what it says for the B7.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »
Also, after you check your oil level, clean up any dirt around the oil cap, remove the cap and see if there is any gunk build up on it. It's not a sure fire thing, but it could be an indication of sludge.

If it is starting to sludge you might be able to have them clean it. The eventuality of sludge is your engine dying. Do a search or look for a recent post on another members misfortune with sludge.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
I've only had my oil light come once or twice and those times it was right before an oil change and it was a low oil issue.

oh ya, on the topic of sludge:
http://www.union1609.com/showthread.php?t=1465
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:56:37 PM »
my oil level sensor failed last year. It was an $80 part and i had randy replace it when he did the oil change. It is on the bottom of the oil pan.  Just check the oil and if you are at the right level you should be fine. Just make sure you are indeed talking about the oil level sensor and NOT the oil pressure sensor.

The oil pressure sensor sometimes means a sludge problem.  :(

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »
Got it fixed Friday. As it turns out the wires on the sensor had been eaten? Seriously. In my neighborhood, we have a LOT of rabbits, and one must have climbed up onto the undercarriage cover, and sat there and chewed my wires clean through. I saw the wires and they had little teeth marks in them. Dealer replaced the wires and covered it with a metal sleeve to hopefully prevent this again. Damn rabbit cost me $189.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Whew, well, $189 isn't so bad int he grand scheme of things. Glad it was just a bunny problem and not an Audi problem.

Thanks for posting up the solution since sometimes we are left wondering "Whatever happened to <username>'s issue?"

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »
No problem. I recommend to those who might live around rodents to be aware that they can do this.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
Usually we see this on the 02 sensors, especially with people that were parking out at the airport. Seems like this little guy really wanted to mess with you.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
"Yeah, I hear of o2 sensors going out on cars a lot, but you got to be real hungry to want to eat a dirty oily wire?

silentrun

• n00balicious
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »
You live down in south by park meadows don't ya?? My wire was chewed up the first night I took the car home like 2 years back. I ghetto electrical soldered it back together and it worked very well. You may wanna get an extra layer of electrical tape around the actual wire harness because the rabbits will be back.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 08:38:06 PM »
I did, but I now reside next to the Broncos facility in Englewood. Next door are nothing but open feilds and lots of rodents. At least in HR, when I was there, there was the occasional coyote to stop some of that.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 02:47:34 AM »
The rabbits are really bad this year for sure. I think it was just this spring that one of the locals had $500 of damage on his MKV because of a rabbit. I'm glad that you got it worked out though!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

knightstick

• n00balicious
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
$500? Geez! We could use a few more coyotes for sure around here. The dealer wrapped a metal sheeth around the wires this time, but said that they still could eat through metal?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »
Have you ever seen Leonard part 6 with Bill Cosby. Rabbits are bad ass.