Author Topic: I need a couple leads  (Read 2482 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
I need a couple leads
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »
One, I need a good sand blaster, this is actually for the Scout, I need to have two pieces blasted, removal of powder coating and rust. I have a lead on someone in the Springs, but I am hoping to find someone closer.

Two, I gave one A/C service a try for my Audi. They said it was full and my compressor was dead. My compressor is not dead, they blew the fuse load testing it. I have no idea what they did when they tested it. Anyway, my A/C is working half assed. Looking for someone who can do an evac and recharge of an R12 system and knows these cars. I don't have time to monkey around with people that are just going to pump in freon and potentially over charge the system.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
Re: I need a couple leads
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »
I would recommend Blast tech for the powdercoating removal.  They media blast stuff which is easier on the metal.  They also charge by time.

3775 S Kalamath St
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 806-9992

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »
I have no idea on the sand blasting, but would agree with scott that media would be better than sand.  also I would think most places that do powder coating would have media blasting capabilities too in order to prep the parts.

as for the AC, give Brian at avalon a call.  IIRC, he knows someone who can do your recharge.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »
I will check out Blast tech. I have a bumper/tire carrier combo that was not prepped properly when it was originally powder coated so the coating is coming off left and right and now there is a bunch of rust.

I'm not terribly concerned about minor damage to the steel and I am still debating if I want to powder coat again or just prime and do rattle can bedliner so I can touch it up if it gets damaged.

I guess I feel like powder coating isn't that great with this experience.

zmaninco

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
This issue with powder coating is this.  When it first came out, only a few people did it, they did it right, and it was expensive.  But it was a really nice job and the coating was like armour.

Nowadays any schmoe with a kitchen over thinks they can powder coat, so that quality range is immense.  Prepping, thickness, and baking are critical to a good powder coat. 

When it comes to powder coating, I think it is worth it to find someone that specializes it in and pay the price.  Else you get poor prepping, coating coming off...well, you know!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
Denver Bumper did some powder coating on some sway bars for me, changed them from red to blue.  The finish held up amazingly well, but that was only for 2 years before I got rid of the car.  They have been doing it for a long time as well.

http://www.denverbumper.com/