Author Topic: Has anyone replaced Fuel Lines before? (X-Post)  (Read 3174 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Has anyone replaced Fuel Lines before? (X-Post)
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »
I'm going to post this on passatworld.com, but wanted to post here too on the off changes one of you has seen this before.

I was driving home from work tonight and thought I smelled gas.  I went faster and it went away. About a mile form work, it came back and I thought it might be the car that was still in front of me, but after they turned off, I realized with a slight felling of impending doom that I had a gas leak.

I pulled into the closest gas station and opened the hood and I had a slight wet discoloration behind my engine cover, so I poked around and found my gas line did have a leak.

Long story short, I tried to limp home with a towel wrapped tightly around it, but it got worse to the point that I lost fuel pressure and had to get it towed 3 miles back to my house.

I need to replaces the whole line I think, but here's where someone that has done this before on a VW (Passat or maybe most MK4s) might know how to answer my next question.

Here's where the break is:

I pulled the airbox out to trace the line and it goes behind the airbox (it's the one on the bottom:

Then behind the wheelwell, and back under the suspension.  Where it is held by the retaining clip, right before it, it looks like it can be pulled off, but I'm not quite sure if it disconnects here and I don't want to force it.

Do I keep going or can I get it off here and get a new part?

TIA,
Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Has anyone replaced Fuel Lines before? (X-Post)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:48:50 AM »
Do you need a copy of the Bentley Manual?  I have one, maybe that will help with the sourcing of the start and finish.

Not sure it is a good idea to repair a line like that, the splice would be a weak point.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:48:50 AM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
Well, long story short, I found a fuel related recall that looked like it would warranty my lines, towed it to the dealer, VWoA denied it saying my issue wasn't part of the recall, towed it home, and am ordering the lines myself to put them in.

It wouldn't be a big deal except I'm already rebuilding the carb for the FJ60, so after replacing some parts that fell of my bike (OMG make it stop!) last week, I can at least ride my bike to work.

Someone keep me away from mechanical stuff.  I have teh suxor touch lately!!!!1111!!!1!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
Dub, so sorry again to hear about them not replacing that under warranty. When the parts get in if you need a hand let me know, as long as there are no stuck bolts! :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »
that totally sucks.  Sometimes, I have luck like that.  Seems RMCB5 is having that luck lately with Mike's failed timing belt attempt due to the previous belt change not being done right.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:26 AM »
LOL, I know guys, thanks for the support.  I should be able to tackle it.  I've had worse, just not in a little while.  Still much better than dealing with work, so I just have to put it in context and say to myself: "I do like working on my car."

The lines are preformed, I just have to pick them up from McDonald and bring em home and put them in.  Should take me about 4 hours all together, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'll post a write-up in case anyone else has to go through this.

Dub

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
I finally got the parts in for this last Thursday and got them in on Sunday, so I am back on the road.

I would say that this is a 2/5 banana job.  You have to take out the airbox, right front wheelwell liner and the plastic cover that covers the front of the fuel tank and fuel filter.  I replaced my fuel filter while I was at it.

There are two tricky parts to the whole install.  The first is to put the thre lines into place, since they are preformed aluminum lines, so you don't want bend them much at all.  The second is getting the lines set back in the clamps and then get them to snap into place.

Also, I hate VW's one use hose clamps, which were a pain to get off.  I replaced them with 5 screw clamps. 

I was able to talk McDonald VW part into giving me a discount, so I think I paid right around $200 shipped for the whole group of lines and they were about $232 without shipping before the discount.  I'd go back to them for parts.  They have been pretty standup in this regard.

That grand total of work was right at 3 hours, so I was 1 hour shorter than the VW book indicated the job should take.  Save myself $500 too.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
Nice work Dub, glad you are back on the road. Sorry this was such an ordeal, I still think VWoA should have taken care of this, but that is just my opinion.

Obviously it could have been a much larger financial setback, all in all the time spent on actually doing the job and the cost for parts is not unreasonable.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »
Thanks buddy.

I agree that they should have replaced it.  All in all, I'm 90% satisified with my work.  I wish I could have gotten it to 100%, but I was really ready to get it back on the road.  I did achieve my bonus objective, which was to replace the fuel filter, so I give myself an A-  :P

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
yay for being back on the road.