Author Topic: some LED action on my B5.5!  (Read 3062 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
some LED action on my B5.5!
« on: April 11, 2004, 05:13:05 PM »
did a few more minor mods to my car, this time lighting.

LED City Lights:
I replaced my Philips Blue Vision wedge bulbs for my city lights with a white 6-bulb LED wedge bulb.  The Blue Vision bulbs has faded in color (coating flaking off) and started to look a little stock, and one of them burnt out (it has been about a year and a half.  The new LEDs look awsome, a little on the bluish side, but is much brighter and matches perfectly with my bi-xenons, and they last a long time.  I definately recommend it.

W8 LED Sunroof Console Panel:
I took the lazy approach and bought the W8 Panel that's plug and play and the expensive LED lit knob from ECS Tuning.  Running the extra wire down the A-pillar and taping it into the headlight switch was a bit if a pain, but it didn't take too long.  It's nice having some red lit switchs on the ceiling.  The ambient red LED lighting is very subtle and not very noticable if you are driving where there's street lighting.  One minor complaint is that the LED lighting doesn't consistantly light the sunroof position dial all the way around (the portion closest to the windshild lights brighter than the half of the dial closest to the sunroof).  It's a easy and effective mod.
I'm thinking of using the same 6-bulb LED bulbs on my city lights to replace the wedge bulbs of the map lights.

Touareg LED flashlight:
This is a really neat gadget to have in your car, especially if you never use the cigarette lighter.  The flashlight is very compact -- the ashtray cover closes fully when the flashlight is in the lighter socket.  You give the lens a quarter turn and it shines a bright focused beam of blue light.  Also when you have the flashlight on and in the lighter socket, it cast a cool spotlight onto the middle of the ceiling of the car interior (neat).  The flashlight extends a bit when on which prevents you from closing the ashtray cover and leaving it on all the time.

Narva Gold H3 Bulbs:
I replaced my Philips All Weather bulbs in my fog lights with these bulbs from Germany.  They are supposed to be similar to the yellow color on rallye cars, but they don't really appear so.  They are noticably yellower than the Philips.  It has a dichronic coating on the lens which cast a yellow color on anything it hits, so while the light doesn't appear that yellow coming out of the car, the surfaces it hits appear pretty yellow.  You notice it more from behind the wheel than from outside.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »
I would really like to see the city light mod,  also I have been wanting to do the W8 interior light mod for some time.

I am interested mostly in the city lights, due to the stock looking so yellow against the HID's.  On my Euro-switch I have the first pull the city lights and the second the rear fog.  Now if I can just find a way to wire it all up so that the city lights are used as my DLR and my first pull be my fog lights if I ever get them.  Never been much for an electrician, some day.

Where did you pick up the city light LED's?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:03:23 PM »
NICE!

I got the blue LED's in my gauges...I want the same in my interior lights...I should do the city mod too...that'd be sick. I think I'm gonna light my door handles too...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »
The W8 sunroof panel mod is a great one.  I always get comments from people in my car at night on the space age lighting...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 01:07:20 PM »
Another reqeust to see where you got the city 6LED wedge bulbs.  Ive been looking around lately and most places want too much for them.  Lemme know please.

Also, I agree that the W8 light console is nice and the lighting at night is just great.  People in my car always get trippy as to where the light is coming from, and it shines right on the knob, so its really cool.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 02:52:31 PM »
Ops, sorry, I didn't see your question.

I got the 6-bulb LED from http://www.superbrightleds.com/
They have all kinds of bulbs for different applications, and their prices are excellent (I think I paid $2.99, a fraction of what you pay at Pep Boys, etc.).  Unfortunately, the 6-bulb white LEDs are out of stock (I'm planning on getting about ten more for my car and my scooter).
I like the 6-bulb LED because single LEDs generally don't put out as much light as incandescent bulbs and the light is not as dispersed (the light is more directional).  Just to warn you the white LEDs look a bit bluish, and I assume the blue LEDs they have would be pretty intense looking.

I'm planning on using them for the map lights (but not the dome lights as I like the warm lighting when you enter the car), glove box, door puddle lamps, and trunk.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 03:54:36 PM »
Is this what you ordered?

T13-W 6-White LED (194/168 type) wedge base bulb

Sorry for the questions, but I like the city lights being on just for looks, but I do not like the yellow on white of the hid's.  Being a bit blue is not an issue.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 05:15:18 PM »
yup, this is the one you want:

WLED-6 LED bulb
12 VDC 6-LED Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)

White is still out of stock, but red and blue are available.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 11:03:19 PM »
I found a thread on clubb5 about the very same thing you did, but I noticed that all discussions are dealing with B5.5 not B5's.  Do you think it will work with B5 Xenons?