Author Topic: Carbon fiber belly pan?  (Read 7797 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:50:35 AM »
A friend of mine lays carbon fiber for a local company.  I'm going to get him to make up a carbon fiber belly pan for a Passat and an A4, as these are commonly shredded and waaaay expensive from the dealer.  If there is any interest in this, let me know.
This may be the first of several products, or maybe the last of one.  If you guys have anything you'd like, let me know.  I might have him make a grille surround for me too, and likely a fairing for my rack.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 02:13:02 AM »
Any idea how much he would charge for a carbon fiber belly pan?  If it's cheaper than the one from the dealer, I'd be interested.  It might be too complex of a piece to try and duplicate though.

How about a carbon fiber hood though?  That would be nice!  I might be interested in a roof rack fairing as well.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 02:13:02 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 02:25:43 AM »
Quote from: "velo"
Any idea how much he would charge for a carbon fiber belly pan?  If it's cheaper than the one from the dealer, I'd be interested.  It might be too complex of a piece to try and duplicate though.

How about a carbon fiber hood though?  That would be nice!  I might be interested in a roof rack fairing as well.

Not sure yet how much to charge.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than OEM, but it's tough to say as we don't know how much labor will go into it.  They can be made as thick/thin as we want, or just reinforced in areas that commonly break.
As for the hood, well....that's a bit tougher.  When laying carbon fiber on a hood, the smooth side is down and the rough (unfinished) side is up, so it would look like hell.  However, if we made a mold of the hood, then layed the carbon fiber in the mold, it'd work fine.  I don't think I'm going to do that personally, but it's a possibility.  The good thing about the belly pan is we can lay the fiber on the top of it, so the finished side faces the road, not the engine.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »
Consider this to be in R&D right now, but if it comes out nice, looks good and functions well, we may run with it.  There are lots of reasons the stock one needs to go!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm down.. very interested to see how it turns out and what it costs. I hate belly pans.
MWJD?

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 04:45:02 PM »
We need to have a belly pan Garage Day... I dont think that my MKIV has a belly pan but their is alot of plastic crap under thier thats starting to rattle around, i think im just going to pull it all out.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 04:47:49 PM »
Lord knows I need one (for the car I mean!), not that I might not look better wearing one to hide my belly. :D  After last March's storm, mine is still attached but it is jacked!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Chas

• Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 06:12:56 PM »
Well anyone who has had the displeasure of seeing my Frankenstiened belley pan knows that I could use a new one.

I'd say yes, there is need for this. And if the price was reasonable and fairly easy to produce enmass, then I don't see why a profit couldn't be made with this. That is if the overhead isn't too great.

I'd say go for it Pat. People are always in need of those belly pans and I would bet you could sell quite a few. Shipping them would be a hassle, but who knows...   :)  8)

Also, does this friend of yours do custom work for say, speaker enclosures? Or how about a custom airbox for the 1.8T that would make use of an open element filter. But it would be sealed from the heat of the engine bay. Or better yet, just a really cool heat shield that totally seals the turbo side from the airbox side. I have been working on one made of aluminum (duh, what else...) but a nice looking CF heat shield would be fairly easy to make, cheap and if it was sealed properly, very effective. Again, something that is easily sold to the masses.
Hmmm... maybe I should just shut up at this point...  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 06:14:44 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
Also, does this friend of yours do custom work for say, speaker enclosures? Or how about a custom airbox for the 1.8T that would make use of an open element filter. But it would be sealed from the heat of the engine bay. Or better yet, just a really cool heat shield that totally seals the turbo side from the airbox side. I have been working on one made of aluminum (duh, what else...) but a nice looking CF heat shield would be fairly easy to make, cheap and if it was sealed properly, very effective. Again, something that is easily sold to the masses.

Or maybe there should be a business out there for this!  I'm in.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Chas

• Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 06:20:49 PM »
I know what you're thinking Winston. And I like it, I like it a lot. Hmmmm...   8)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »
I'm in! I will buy a belly pan! Anything is better than the piece, or rather pieces of plastic hanging in shards underneath my car! I'll also take something for my front grille..consider me a project car :D Or body trim? :twisted: Me likey.....
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 12:22:43 AM »
Well anyone who has had the displeasure of seeing my Frankenstiened belley pan knows that I could use a new one.

I'd say yes, there is need for this. And if the price was reasonable and fairly easy to produce enmass, then I don't see why a profit couldn't be made with this. That is if the overhead isn't too great.

I'd say go for it Pat. People are always in need of those belly pans and I would bet you could sell quite a few. Shipping them would be a hassle, but who knows...   :)  8)

Alright, Dub and I determined the A4/S4 pan is identical to the Passat, which is good.  My friend has a belly pan and roof rack fairing now, so hopefully I'll have a progress report in a couple weeks.

Speaker enclosures are a definite maybe, but I think that would be more advanced that these other things we're talking about.  If we get this thing up and rolling successfully with pans and fairings, maybe we'll give the speaker box a go.

As for the sealed area intake, that's already in the mix.  A buddy of mine fabbed one from aluminum on his A4, and it is a very clean design.  That would be the a very simple thing to do, also.  I doubt the A4/S4 design would be compatible with the Passat, so if anyone knows of a well-made Passat design locally, please let me know.

On another note, I quit my job today!   8O
Woohooo   :D
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »
i was thinking about asking if he could do an airbox for me.. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 12:35:23 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"

Dude, I thought you had a couple of more months there, what happened?  Call me when you get a chance today...

Chas

• Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 11:08:33 PM »
Pat, I have a prototype mostly done of the Passat heat shield made from... well guess. Aluminum, what else. It is designed to work with the factory airbox. It's almost done, I just put it on the back burner for a while. Maybe I'll finish it up soon. Like I don't already have lots of projects to keep me busy.  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:

Let me know. All I really need for it is some rubber seals and a couple fabbed brackets and it's a go!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 11:12:56 PM »
Pat, I have a prototype mostly done of the Passat heat shield made from... well guess. Aluminum, what else. It is designed to work with the factory airbox. It's almost done, I just put it on the back burner for a while. Maybe I'll finish it up soon. Like I don't already have lots of projects to keep me busy.  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:

Let me know. All I really need for it is some rubber seals and a couple fabbed brackets and it's a go!

Sounds good to me.  Polish that baby up with some good fitment and send it my way!
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 09:17:32 PM »
yeah, I really need a durable belly pan.  I'm on my third one already, and they are not cheap.
If it's cheaper than OEM and the quality is decent, I'm definately in.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 09:50:30 PM »

Speaker enclosures are a definite maybe, but I think that would be more advanced that these other things we're talking about.  If we get this thing up and rolling successfully with pans and fairings, maybe we'll give the speaker box a go.

As for the sealed area intake, that's already in the mix.  A buddy of mine fabbed one from aluminum on his A4, and it is a very clean design.  That would be the a very simple thing to do, also.  I doubt the A4/S4 design would be compatible with the Passat, so if anyone knows of a well-made Passat design locally, please let me know.

Pat,

Don't give up on the airbos so quickly.... I think the airbox for my 2.8v6 passat and the 2.7t S4 are the same. I know they take the same filter.....

as for the sub enclosure, I've been playing with the idea for a while now. I've wanted one for about 4 years. The problem is coming up with a GOOD mold of what you want to lay the fiberglass or carbon fiber TO! If enough of us were interested in this, I bet we could get someone who was good at it, to make us 2 molds (several people chip in.... only need ONE of each)..... one for a passat, and one for an A4(which would be the same for the S4) ....once you have the mold, the replication isn't that tough.

I've thought about the possabilities of doing these types of things, and contract manufacturing..... I think there are openings for businesses out there too..... look how many sub boxes that guy on CB5 made for the Passats.... or Chas's bar.... or (you audiworld folks) how much money do you think Craig (Toy guy) has made off that shifter? (I've asked, it's nearing 5 figures in 3 years)...... Just some food for thought...

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 03:21:30 PM »
Pat, when you and Chas get the heatshield thing figured out, I'd be interested in one of those as well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Update....
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 03:14:09 AM »
Here's an updated guys.  Nothing to get too excited about just yet, but things are going the direction we want them to go.

http://forums.audiworld.com/rockymtn/msgs/16057.phtml
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 02:52:22 PM »
Nice Pat..nice
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwil

• n00balicious
    • http://www.t-region.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 01:04:19 AM »
I saw the x-post on CB5.  I'm interested, but do you know if they might fit a V6 4Mo?  I know the OEM pan is diff between the 1.8T and the V6.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »
I'm really not sure about differences between the V6 and I4 pans.  I'm surprised there is a difference, but don't know what to tell you other than that.  I'm still waiting on the first pan to come back to test, so just keep an eye on the thread and let me know if you have any more questions.  I can tell you we will concentrate initially on the pan for the 1.8T.
-Chuck Patterson

jwil

• n00balicious
    • http://www.t-region.com
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 03:04:48 AM »
The only way I know that there is supposed to be a difference is because the OE parts have different numbers and prices.  The I4 pan is less than $100 while the V6 pan is $170.

Beyond that I'm not sure what the diff is.   :-(

Scuba2001

• Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 11:07:46 AM »
The only thing thats really different is that the V6 pans have a foam lining on the inside.  The size of the pan is still the same dimensions.

Steve

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 11:36:58 AM »
Curious, about the foam lining.  When I pickup a new pan some 18mo. ago it had a foam lining.  I can't belive that VW would charge $70.00 for foam....or can I!!!   8O
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 11:46:33 AM »
Sounds like the difference between an Audi part and a VW part. (a $70 difference for the same thing.)   :?
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 11:50:21 AM »
Alan W. has a V6, not 4 motion, but we can check out his pan to see if they are different.  I would imagine they are fairly similar, but might have different air flow under them...due to different engine configs.  But it would be easy enough to check.

Alan, you out there, can we look up your skirt? :-D

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2004, 11:52:35 AM »
Jon, you dirty dirty boy.
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Carbon fiber belly pan?
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54:43 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Jon, you dirty dirty boy.

Don't you know it!!!