Author Topic: Stupid window!!!  (Read 2150 times)

Dizzle

• Stock
    • T-Square's Virtual Insanity
Stupid window!!!
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
So I go to roll up my rear window the other day and right as it gets to the top I hear a crackle then a loud pop. Me thinks that is bad but no glass broke so I continue on my merry little way. 4 blocks or so later I hear road noise, look back to see the window slowly sliding down...*#@$!!!

I did a search here and will check the regulator, but if anyone can provide a nice write up on how to remove the door trim from an '02 A4 (rear pass.) I would be so thankful.

I love this car, I hate this car...not one thing its another!!!
~Dizzle

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Stupid window!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »
Don't know where there is a write up, but usually there are just a few screws and than clips that you just pull and the panel pops off.  All panels are basically the same, if you need help, let me know, I have some nylon pry tools that help to prevent scratching the door card as well.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
The trim sticks are a good idea.  I got a nice set at Harbor Freight. 

You might look around for a writeup or get someone to print out some manual pages so you can find all the hidden screws and fasteners.  A quick search netted at least one writeup on A4 window regulators, but it was for the front.

It's kind of good that this is a rear window as you probably have to pull the door interior panel and see what part has broken.  There is a motor that winds the window up and down, and a lifting assembly that usually uses a cable to haul the window up and down.  Hopefully it's the motor assembly that has a broken gear or something as the other part is usually riveted into the door frame and a pain to replace.  Once you know what has broken you can wedge a piece of wood in there or something to hold up the window and order parts (or call a body shop.)

The little trim clips that hold the interior panel on also get damaged when removed and a few will probably need to be replaced.  Even ones that seem good often lose their grip once popped so getting a few is a good idea.

good luck!
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
The clips can be saved, depending on how you remove the panel.  I have removed the panels off the MINI about 6 times, and have not had to replace a single plastic clip.  If you are careful, they will continue to work, just fyi.