Author Topic: Storage needed  (Read 2501 times)

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
Storage needed
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I have found myself in a situation that I am need of storage for a Porsche 911 that I will be getting possession of in the future.  My Dad has sold me his car and I have too many vehicles in my garage and driveway at the current time.

Does anyone know of an economical place that I can store the Porsche in the southern point of town (near Highlands Ranch if possible)?  No wise guys offering their personal garage with the requirement that I leave the keys...ha.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Scott

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Storage needed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
Do you have a price range?  A covered storage place for a car sized unit would run about $150 a month, maybe less, depends on how long your rent it.

Does the car have a cover?  Even though you would be fully enclosed at a public storage type place, there is a ton of dust, so I would invest in a cover to help preserve the car, etc.

Outside of that, not sure what other options that would truly be a safe place.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
I would like to stay around $100 if possible.  I have a cover, but I would prefer an enclosed unit.

I have seen where an apartment complex rented out one of their garages.  That would be ideal if I could find one.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
No wise guys offering their personal garage with the requirement that I leave the keys...ha.

Darn  :P  ;D
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for the CL listings.  I don't think I was searching the right key words.  That Parker deal would work pretty good.

Scott

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:34:46 PM »
No sweat, as always, go in guarded and if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Make sure that the people actually own the property and all that. Meaning, it's not a renter renting the garage they don't use or something like that. :)

The self storage places are a little iffy because many don't allow for the storage of vehicles in their enclosed storage units. There is a public storage up off Evans just west ( or maybe just east) of I-25. They have units wide enough for cars. I recall years ago witnessing someone shoehorn a Cherokee in one of the units. It was illegal, but it fit. All the units there as I recall are drive up to as is.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »
I live in Parker :).  I could check on the car for you if you want, hehe.

and when I brought up a cover, I was considering a fully enclosed unit, but they still have dust and stuff get in, best to get the car clean, park it, and cover it, even with enclosed units.  My MINI is under a cover in our garage, just to reduce the dust.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
Alright.....taking this one step furhter, I am thinking about putting a lift in my garage and parkign the 911 under my beetle. 

Does anyone have any experience with 4 post lifts?  I know one guy that has one and am going to see his set up.  It would pay for itself vs. offsight storage.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
I think a lift is a great idea....a guy in my neighborhood has one, and it works great for storage of his classics.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »
If you have the space dot he lift. My uncle built a garage at his house in AZ and put in one maybe two of these lifts. And yes, these are the ones for parking other cars under, but are great for doing maintenance too!

They aren't that expensive if you plan on always having the need for it. Compared to storage costs. In the end, do you have adequate space for it and do you plan on moving anytime in the next few years?

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »
Speaking of lifts....

If you've got SHORT cars, ie a lowered Porsche 911 and say a Formula Vee, you could do what we did for under $1,100. We built a rack system using pallet shelves we bought used from a company in Denver and winch our Formula Vee - trailer and all - onto the rack then park the Porsche 911 under the Vee. We considered a lift but we didn't have the height in our smallish 2-car garage. As it is, the Vee's roll hoop only clears the top pallat rack's beam by millimeter's.

The details are on our website www.LaboutRacing.com under "2 to 2.5 car garage"

If anyone needs more information feel free to e-mail me and I'll have the spousal unit get back with you. It didn't take too much time to build, about 2 weekends, and will pay for itself over the winter. Plus, we have the comfort of knowing both "girls" are safely stored in our garage and won't disappear with the help of a "universal key" (bolt cutters). We get a break on the insurance on both race cars because they're stored in a more secure location. It's also easier to perform maintenance/upgrades, etc. The 911 is still street legal, so we can take her out when the days are nice and the mood strikes us. It's also more convenient to store the Vee after a race and keep her in peak performance for the next race.

There are some drawbacks to the system though. It's not a slam-dunk to get the Vee on the rack yet. We're getting better at it but it still takes 2 people and about 30 minutes of careful winching. Getting it off the rack is very easy. I don't think anything heavier than 2,000 pounds is practical for the rack without upgrading to more expensive winches and steel ramps. We're using inexpensive winches and wooden ramps but the Vee and trailer only weigh about 1,100 pounds loaded with the car, spare tires, gas tanks, etc. There's also the issue of garage door clearance, so longer cars won't work on the rack unless you have a nice deep garage, which we don't. If you don't have a way to suspend the nose of the car this system won't work either. Since we're using the Vee's trailer, we have something very stable and solid to hook onto.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:35:30 PM by LilGTI »
~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'64 Autodynamics Formula Vee
'98 Ford Ranger