Author Topic: MAF Appetite  (Read 2288 times)

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
MAF Appetite
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
Hi All,

I've been gone for a LONG time (life's been in the way) but I'm hoping to pick some brains for a puzzeling problem with my '00 GTI VR6. This week my car, with only 68,006 miles on it, will be returning to the dealership for it's 4th MAFS in 18 months. The last one was replaced less than 2,000 miles ago in late June. The interval of MAFS failures is getting more frequent in duration and mileage. I don't drive my car daily as I'm a student at Metro and take Light Rail. There are times my car can go over a week without being driven.

The last MAFS replacement was accompanied by a MAFS wiring harness replacement which I was promised would cure her appetite for MAFS. Obviously it didn't do anything but put a dent in my wallet to the tune of $284. The service manager discussed involving VW of NA if one more MAF fails - we're there so I hope he's true to his word.

My question is, has anyone else seen a car with this kind of appetite for MAFS and if so, is there a solution for the problem?  :( I graduate in December and will need my car daily and can't really depend on a car with this kind of issue. I want to keep it until VW of NA pulls their head out of their nether regions and produces an R32 with a manual gearbox again, which could be awhile.

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:41:11 PM by LilGTI »
~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'64 Autodynamics Formula Vee
'98 Ford Ranger

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: MAF Appetite
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket intake or filter on the car?  Oil from those filters can cause MAF failure. 

Outside of that, I am not that familiar with failures of this kind.  I am surprised they replaced the harness.  Since it did nothing, I certainly hope they refund your money as that obviously was not the issue and was something that did not need to be replaced.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
I had taken the K&N filter out after the 4th or 5th MAFS in 2006 because the dealership insisted it was the cause of the failures. I kept my K&N VERY clean. I cleaned it every year very carefully even though my mileage is never over 6,500 miles annually. I would clean the K&N and install the stock filter for several days while the K&N dried out to make sure that no wet oil would be sucked into the engine past the MAFS. Since removing the K&N I've had 3 MAFS failures so obviously my K&N wasn't contributing to the failures. Other than the brakes and front rotors, the car is bone stock now.

I'm hoping the get the dealership to refund the money I paid for the wiring harness since obviously it had nothing to do with the MAFS failures and was just "fluff" for them. They didn't even do a proper job wiring it into the electrical system and I had to speak with the service manager about the shoddy work. The wires were simply taped with electrical tape instead of shrink wrapped. I returned the car to the dealership and he had the ugly, taped wires shrink wrapped for me. At that time we discussed bringing in VW of NA if another MAFS failed. I've sent him an e-mail requesting that meeting with VW of NA to attempt to get to the bottom of this problem.

~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'98 Ford Ranger

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:37:35 AM »
good, sounds like you have eliminated the K&N for failure issues.  Just a thought though, with the next replacement, stick with a high flow air filter, that way, if it fails again, you can be sure that the K&N was not the issue.  I have known several sensors to go bad, despite how much the filter dries before being installed....but that is just a suggestion.

I certainly hope VWoA gets involved at this point, seems like a lot of waisted money and time trying to solve something they obviously have no clue about.  Not that I know any better, but at this point, it should have been resolved.  I would for sure stick to your guns and demand your wire harness funds returned.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens.  Maybe someone else here has some ideas.

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:46:06 AM »
Looks like I'm SOL on getting my MAF taken care of at McDonald VW.  >:( The service manager has decided he doesn't need to follow principles of Management 101 - you can't survive without satisfied customers! - and be responsible for getting to the bottom of my MAF problem. Thursday am on the phone he told me to bring the car in Friady morning and he would send the MAF off to VW to have it diagnosed to find out why it failed. When we arrived at the dealership Friday morning, a service rep informed us that my car would be parked in the service lot for however long it would take for the failed MAF to be sent to VW in GERMANY, analyzed, diagnosed, and the problem solved. Meanwhile, I would be without a car for 1- 1 1/2 MONTHS!!!  :'(  The service manager did not tell me this on the phone on Thursday or in person Friday. He refuses to replace the MAF while the failed one is being analyzed or even replace it period. I am left with ZERO options from McDonald VW.

The service manager is shirking his responsibilities as well as breaking a binding contract in the form of the 12mo/12k mile parts/labor warranty on the MAF repair. He promised to deal with this issue and now simply refuses. He also promised to refund the money we paid to replace the wiring harness if it was discovered that the repair wasn't causing the MAFS to fail. He has no intention of honoring that since he knows we can't leave my car there for 6-8 WEEKS.

The service manager called Andy Friday afternoon, probably after VW of NA contacted him (I called VW of NA customer care and opened a case file on this issue - they were VERY helpful!) Andy asked him point blank if he had the ability and inclination to fix this car. He danced around the issue until Andy told him "this is a yes/no question" and he finally admitted he couldn't fix the car and simply didn't want to spend any more money on it. He claimed on the phone that the car would only be out of commission for a few days while the MAF was being analyzed, but that is NOT what the service rep relayed to us on Friday. The RIGHT thing to do would be to replace the MAF while the the failed one is being analyzed so I have a car to drive.

I have filed a compliant with both VW of NA and the BBB and will persue this in the hope that other customers won't have to go through this frustration. DO NOT take your car to this unresponsive dealership. They WILL abandon you when the chips are down. Over the years McDonalds has made thousands of dollars in reimbursements for repairs on my car from VW of NA and plenty in repairs out of my own pocket, but they have obviously forgotten that. What a shame. I've been a customer since 1991, long before this service manager was in the picture. I can remember a time when they actually knew what great customer service really was and miss those days. Worse for them is that word-of-mouth for good service travels well, but word-of-mouth for a bad service spreads like wildfire! That's Marketing 3000, a class I'd say this service manager either failed or failed to take!

VW of NA suggested I find another dealership to work with to resolve this MAF issue so I'm waiting to hear back from the manager of another dealership to see if he's willing to take on the car. One dealership has already said they would be happy to take on the challenge of repairing the car but they are quite a long drive from our home. VW of NA is (hopefully) going to intervene fully in this process. I'm not comfortable drivng the car since it has thrown 2 codes. The "check engine" light isn't on right now and the car is running ok, but I don't want to risk it because I know it will continue to degrade. McDonald VW sure has left us in the lurch and I certainly don't appreciate it one bit.

Bad dealership - STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:13:39 AM by LilGTI »
~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'98 Ford Ranger

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with McDonald, and I'm sorry to say that those reports of poor service are fairly common with them.

I'd recommend Emich on Colorado Blvd. They have always been good to me when I've had my car in there, including warranty/recall issues.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »
I agree, Emich is changing the reputation of VW dealers in Colorado from bad to good. McDonald and the others should take note.

We have had good service experience at Emich as well, though early on they had some trouble setting the service interval correctly.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »
IF I had to take my VW to the dealership, it would either go to Emich (and ask for Kyle to keep an eye on things), or to Osborne.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

LilGTI

• n00balicious
    • Labout Racing
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
I talked to Emich this morning and they're willing to honor McDonald's warranty on the MAF and take on the daunting task of getting to the bottom of this problem  :) Emich (Mtn. States back then) also took responsibility for my 2nd gear sync ring problem back in 2003 after I'd complained for 3 1/2 years to McDonald VW every time the car was in the shop for service. McDonald blamed it on me, telling me that I didn't know how to drive a manual transmission  ??? I took the car to Emich/Mtn. States for an oil change, mentioned it had a 2nd gear grind and got a call asking me how I could possibly drive the car with a grind that bad! They had the transmission rebuilt the next day (apologizing that it took so long!) and it's never scratched 2nd since! That was back when Ben Vavara was around. I followed him to McDonald VW. I guess I should've gone back to Emich when he left McDonald.

We'll drop the car off tonight and let the folks at Emich have a go at diagnosing her appetite for MAFS. We have a few ideas of causes from the silicone that coats the electronics getting hot and "melting" onto the thermister to the catalytic converter software "update" that was done in September of 2007 causing the MAFS to fail. K&N did a study on MAF failures to prove their filters were not causing failures that is quite interesting. It may be as simple as installing a cold air intake and repositioning the MAF so it doesn't get as hot.

I'll give an update when I find out anything.

~Trish
www.LaboutRacing.com
'00 GTI VR6
'65 Porsche 911
'98 Ford Ranger

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, I hope Emich can come through for you.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »
What a mess but sadly that's what you get for going to McDonald. They are a pattern offender. Years ago they were OK especially when David Bell was the Service Manager. But nowadays they prefer to screw over several members here and undoubtedly countless others.

Good job getting VWoA involved, hope they can make it right.

Looks like I'm SOL on getting my MAF taken care of at McDonald VW.  >:( The service manager has decided he doesn't need to follow principles of Management 101 - you can't survive without satisfied customers! - and be responsible for getting to the bottom of my MAF problem. Thursday am on the phone he told me to bring the car in Friady morning and he would send the MAF off to VW to have it diagnosed to find out why it failed. When we arrived at the dealership Friday morning, a service rep informed us that my car would be parked in the service lot for however long it would take for the failed MAF to be sent to VW in GERMANY, analyzed, diagnosed, and the problem solved. Meanwhile, I would be without a car for 1- 1 1/2 MONTHS!!!  :'(  The service manager did not tell me this on the phone on Thursday or in person Friday. He refuses to replace the MAF while the failed one is being analyzed or even replace it period. I am left with ZERO options from McDonald VW.

The service manager is shirking his responsibilities as well as breaking a binding contract in the form of the 12mo/12k mile parts/labor warranty on the MAF repair. He promised to deal with this issue and now simply refuses. He also promised to refund the money we paid to replace the wiring harness if it was discovered that the repair wasn't causing the MAFS to fail. He has no intention of honoring that since he knows we can't leave my car there for 6-8 WEEKS.

The service manager called Andy Friday afternoon, probably after VW of NA contacted him (I called VW of NA customer care and opened a case file on this issue - they were VERY helpful!) Andy asked him point blank if he had the ability and inclination to fix this car. He danced around the issue until Andy told him "this is a yes/no question" and he finally admitted he couldn't fix the car and simply didn't want to spend any more money on it. He claimed on the phone that the car would only be out of commission for a few days while the MAF was being analyzed, but that is NOT what the service rep relayed to us on Friday. The RIGHT thing to do would be to replace the MAF while the the failed one is being analyzed so I have a car to drive.

I have filed a compliant with both VW of NA and the BBB and will persue this in the hope that other customers won't have to go through this frustration. DO NOT take your car to this unresponsive dealership. They WILL abandon you when the chips are down. Over the years McDonalds has made thousands of dollars in reimbursements for repairs on my car from VW of NA and plenty in repairs out of my own pocket, but they have obviously forgotten that. What a shame. I've been a customer since 1991, long before this service manager was in the picture. I can remember a time when they actually knew what great customer service really was and miss those days. Worse for them is that word-of-mouth for good service travels well, but word-of-mouth for a bad service spreads like wildfire! That's Marketing 3000, a class I'd say this service manager either failed or failed to take!

VW of NA suggested I find another dealership to work with to resolve this MAF issue so I'm waiting to hear back from the manager of another dealership to see if he's willing to take on the car. One dealership has already said they would be happy to take on the challenge of repairing the car but they are quite a long drive from our home. VW of NA is (hopefully) going to intervene fully in this process. I'm not comfortable drivng the car since it has thrown 2 codes. The "check engine" light isn't on right now and the car is running ok, but I don't want to risk it because I know it will continue to degrade. McDonald VW sure has left us in the lurch and I certainly don't appreciate it one bit.

Bad dealership - STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!