Author Topic: Long day + horrendus noise from car = long horrendus noisy day  (Read 1448 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Long day + horrendus noise from car = long horrendus noisy day
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:01:10 AM »
I was leaving work about 3.5 hours late tonight and as I leave the lot I just hear screeeeeeeech, like nails on a chalk board.

I stop. Then start going, screeeeeeeech. I hop out run around the car. I see nothing visually wrong. I backup...nothing.

Go forward...screeech, coming from the passenger side rear.

I drive backwards, no screeching off the road and into the lot at work. Desolate road at 8:30pm.

Get the car down to a well lit area and sit there pondering. I roll forward..screech, back, nothing. Then I think, must have got a something wedged in the brake shield or my car is broke and I'm going to have to sell it to someone here.

I unload my trunk and get out the widowmaker. Jack it up, get two lugs all the way off and am working on a third when the whole car shifts. Damn jacks.

Make sure the remaining three lugs are snug enough, lower the car back down, tighten the lugs a bit and reposition the car. Re-jack it up and get the wheel off.

There is definitely something in there, I use the screw driver to push the shield back and I can hear the rock drop to the lower part, I can reach it and was able to slide it out the back side opening in the shield.

Reassemble my car and drive home. What a pain in the ass, the only time I have seen this happen to someone was on a drive last year when a gal dropped a wheel off the road and a rock was forcefully jammed into the shield. I just got lucky and rim shot it in there I guess.

Hope everyone had a better day than I.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Long day + horrendus noise from car = long horrendus noisy day
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »
that just sucks Jay.  At least it was something relatively simple.  Glad the car did not drop on you.  I hate those jacks as well...

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
Well, I'm glad to hear it was a simple, free fix.  Kind of odd.  I've never heard of that happening.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
haha, yeah, totally crazy. Like I posted the only other time I saw it was by force, and the noise was a reminder of that day. It would have to be a pretty perfect shot, but there are two flared spots on the shield near the top and bottom of the caliper so my guess is it kicked up and bounced around and just landed perfectly.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Glad you were able to fix it yourself, and hope your day is a better one! :)

Jonathan