Author Topic: Diverter Valve Check  (Read 5662 times)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« on: March 17, 2004, 03:40:15 PM »
Think your stock DV is going bad? Boost dosent feel as strong as you rember?
Here is how you check...

This is what you will need...
1 flat head screwdriver with a long shaft
1 set of mechanics gloves

Drive around the block once or twice to get the engine warm. This is why the gloves are usefull because the engine will be a little hot,
Locate the DV, when your looking twards the rear of the car your going to want to loosen the hose clamp on the hose thats on the left side of your DV pull the clamp off so it dosent get lost.

Jump in the car and start it up, the idle may be a little low or trying to stumble, but just give it a little gas and let it idle for a second. When the idle reaches a stable point rev the engine up to about 5500 or so and let off the gas quick. If you hear a nice crisp "crashing" sound your DV is good to go. Sounds resembeling a goose stuck in your grill at 55mph or fluttering sounds may indicate a failing DV.

Stick the hose back on the DV and tighten the clamp and your ready to go.

Hope this helps :D
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 03:57:22 PM »
This actually is only relevant for MKIVs with a transverse mounted 1.8t.  On the Passat it is at the front left side of the engine towards the bottom. We actually have to jack our cars up, take off the  belly pan and reach up to get to it.

Also, the best test is to pop off the fatty hose on the side the air is coming in at, stick you finger in there and see how easy it is to push down on the spring loaded diaphragm.  I use the index or pinkey test.  Basically is should be tight enough that it is not easy to push in with the index finger (almost painful), practically impossible and painful with the pinky.  I have 3 bad DVs sitting in my garage (2 from the A6 one from the B5) if anyone want's to see an example of a dv gone bad.

It is also highly recommended to replace it with a 710N valve.  Which in the case of the MKIVs should be the specified part number whereas for the Passat it is not.

Also keep in mind you need airflow for the turbo to operate fully and create the boost.  Sitting at idle really wont give you an accurate reading.

Being that the location is easy to reach on the MKIV platform the finger method is the best for testing the DV.  Of course if you have the factory clamps on go buy some new screw clamps before doing a test or replacement because the VW clamps get destroyed.   You can do it whent he engine is cool, but some warmth to the hoses is nice for getting the DV out and back in easily.  

Just thought I would clarify a little and offer up an easier method, especially for the MKIVs. :)  Thanks for the input, a bad DV = no spirited driving.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 03:57:22 PM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 04:00:46 PM »
Thanks Jay that makes what I was trying to say a whole lot more clear!

I have also heard that the DV off of an Audi TT will do nicely on the MKIV platform im not sure about the B5, Im also not sure if thats the 710N I dont know that part numver, but from what I hear the Audi TT valves are like  $30 from the dealer ship.

Thanks agen Jay. :D

Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:15:33 PM »
Greg, the TT valve is the 710N which i know is the recommended part number for a Jetta (MKIV) 1.8t so that should be the same for the Golfs and GTIs.

Go to ecstuning.com they have em for $26.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:23:01 PM »
Sweet
thanks agen Jay

Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 11:45:50 PM »
don't waste your time with plastic dv's.  Just buck it up greg and get a metal one. Either a forge or a hyperboost.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 11:58:58 PM »
Well if you're not chipped a 710N will probably last you a year or 2.  The aftermarkets are going to put you out around $150.  I think on Clubb5.com (another Passat site that we spawned from) in the group buy forum I believe there is a group buy going on for the Forge 007 DV.  Check it out.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 12:12:28 AM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
don't waste your time with plastic dv's.  Just buck it up greg and get a metal one. Either a forge or a hyperboost.

I was thinking the same thing but I ran into a problem...
My mod budget for this pay period is just about shot. (Window Tint)

Here is a good question for you Eric, does upgradeing to a rebuildable valve bring the noise up.

I put that intake on and it made the spool and blow off alot louder... im trying to keep it as low key as possable.

Thanks

:)

Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 01:50:10 AM »
it doesn;t really affect the noise level at all. It is definitly worth saving for a good valve though. If you get in a jam i have a few new plastic valves kicking around here somewhere that you can use if need be.  I now the feeling about keeping things low key, i am doing the same thing.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 02:09:36 AM »
Eric-- I cant really tell if I need to replace the valve yet or not when im at a stop it sounds ok when I rev it up. But sometimes when im in second around 3200 or so and let off the gas it kinda makes a weird noise... im going to wait untill friday ( thats when I can roll the windows down agen due to the freash tint) to evaluate it a little further.

Thanks for the offer on your spare valve ill let you know if im in real need and dead broke.

Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 02:16:37 AM »
trust me when i say " you will know when it dies". It will sounds a half dead goose squaking under the hood. It is a very distinquishable sounds.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 02:55:02 PM »
Keep in mind with a DV (or as VW refers to it Bypass Valve) it doesn't blow off the excess pressure because the smart little computer int he car has already calculated how much fuel to deliver based on the expected boost.  So when you hiut the rage where you are starting to peak on the boost and cut of acceleration since the revs drop you will hear the turbo finish up and the air rush through the the DV.

When the DV is going you will first start losing some boost.  So while the turbo is pushing out more air the DV can't handle the pressue and gives to early.

As Eric mentioned other tell tale signs will be what seems like no boost in 1st and little in second and really until you get to the gears where you can actually hold boost you get much.  It will be "noisy" as Eric described.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 08:47:31 PM »
Greg, if you want to hear the blow off without throwing a code, Go Fast Bits makes a hybrid  DV that will not throw a code and will give you the "Pwoooosht" that you are looking for.  They are spendy at around $250 though...

Other 1.8t owners have had the HKS SSQ BOV (Blow Off Valve) and though it hasn't thrown any codes, it has been reported that you performance will suffer.

Could be true for the GFB one too, but I have not heard anything on that one.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 01:16:07 AM »
Just wondering, when I installed the 710N valve the whoosh sound is all but extinct. No matter how hard I drive it then let off the gas, no sound whatsoever. Spool sounds good, boost feels a little weak, but other than that, no sound?? Is this normal?
Look officer, I really do own it......

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 05:06:32 AM »
I would perfer to have no sound at all. Im trying to keep it as low key as possable. But with the addition of my intake its kind of unavoidable. Even with the stock DV.

At least it sounds really meaty now.  :twisted:

Fugazi

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 12:33:19 PM »
Steve, that sounds normal, except for the low boost.  Do you have a boost gauge?

Greg, so you got the intake in?  How do you like it?  Wyaka has one too...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 03:45:39 PM »
Intake is good, not a whole lot of gain, witch I knew was going to be the case.
Word to the wise... dont pay full retail for an intake. Ebay is the way to go. I got mine for like $65 shipped.

Thing that I do like is it has a nice meaty sound, especially when you slap 4th.  :twisted:
Check my member ride gallery for a pic of the intake installed.

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Diverter Valve Check
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 05:55:16 PM »
I love the sound of my intake (COAM)...intakes are just fun, your's looks great!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner