Author Topic: Installing an Amp with a LOC.  (Read 4092 times)

spencerjw

• Stock
    • http://diesel.textamerica.com
Installing an Amp with a LOC.
« on: March 22, 2004, 09:28:59 PM »
Please read my post I posted on the B5 boards.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=716762#716762
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:26:33 AM »
Hopefully someone there can answer it.  I know Quailty_Sound is all about the stereo installations...

I don't even know what a LOC is.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:26:33 AM »

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:27:56 AM »
LOC stands for Line Out Converter, it basically allows you too hook up a sub and amp wihtout needing to use RCA's to the back of the deck (I assume our decks do not have RCA inputs on the back of them?)

I finally figured it out but it involved a lot of in and out of the trunk turning the ignition on and off to figure out which wires were powered and which were not.  Then I had to figure out which wires went to the rear speakers so that I could tap into them.  To do that I had to partially remove the rear door panels to see the colors.

In case anyone else is interested:
- Black wire from LOC (ground) -> Ground to vehicle somewhere close to the LOC
- Yellow (blue) Wire from LOC (Remote/Lead) -> Red wire from Grey factory plug into the Amp.
- Red Wire from LOC (Power) -> 12v Power on Amp
- Speaker Wire Taps from LOC -> 2 Sets of Purple and Purple/Brown wires from Amp (these run to the rear speakers in the doors.

Would have been MUCH easier had there been speakers in my rear dash, but there are not, only in the rear doors.  Too bad the Monsoon upgrade didn't give me those.

FYI - This is all on a 2004 Passat, not sure if it would work for prior years.

Also, if anyone has a good way to get from the bettery to my LOC I'd really like to know.  Can't seem to find a convienant way to get through the firewall.  So, obiously I am not 100% sure that this arrangement will work yet but hopefully be this evening I will be able to test it to verify that it is correct.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
Take out your lower dash and look up above the brake pedal, and there should be a black rubber plug. Now go into your engine compartment and take off the whole black cover that goes just under the windshield, and behind where the brake line distribution is, is a black rubber grommet with a little nipple. Push this in and then look inside the car and verify that the little nipple is inside the car. This is where I put my amp cable, pretty simple, but too about 6 months to get off my lazy butt and find it. FYI a LOC is another way to get high level inputs(such as speakers) into a low level input(such as RCA) to reduce noise that most high level(pre-amp) inputs have, luckily my amp had both types of inputs but install was still a PITA.
Look officer, I really do own it......

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 06:02:26 PM »
I dont know a whole lot about wireing on the stock VW decks but I can wire just about any aftermarket head unit to a VW, check the instal that I did in my Golf its in my member rides section. I could probly help with questions about aftermarket head units but stock VW decks are a big mistary to me  :?:  :?:  :?:
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »
So not to hijack or anything, but can I use a LOC to plug in my iPod?? Or is it just for subs and amps? I guess somehow I need to be able to plug in an auxilliary since the FM transmitters sound like crap.
MWJD?

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:23:25 PM »
Alright, update time.

Winston, thank's for the info on the brake pedal area.  I found one to use but wasn't sure if it was the same one that you were referring to.  The hole was about an inch wide with a grommit in it that had a nipple sort of pertrusion on it.  So I cut the tip of the nipple off and it was a perfect fit for my power wire.  Got it all run and went along the base boards on the driver side.

**(NOTE: Those base boards are a BITCH and a half to get off!!!  WTF??)**

So anyway, got it all run and the install looks great.  The power wire has power at the fuse, that's ood.  The LOC has power I can tell because of the little red light.  The Amp even has power because it's light is on as well.  I also used my volt meter to cehck to make sure everything was getting the right amout of power.  yup, everything looks good.

But....

No bump, thump, base drop....nada.

I get nothing.  Could this be because the LOC isn't turning on the Amp (even though it shows power?), or could there be something else wrong.  Everything worked out as it should.

So, now I'm stumped....
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »
Check the wires that you have plugged into the LOC on a speaker to verify that they are correct, sounds like they may be the wrong wires, since everything is powering on. If it was a bad ground, everytime the amp was taxed it would shut off or some kind of diagnostic light would come on and would cut off all output. Kinda hard to troubleshoot without it right in front of you, would be able to narrow it down in about 30 minutes if it was here, if not get it working.

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:02:12 PM »
Ok, so when would you be avaliable?  :cool:

Actually, what I did for the speaker wire was to partially pull off the rear door panels.  Once I did that I noticed that each side (I pulled off both sides to verify) has one purple wire and one purple/brown wire leading form it.

I then looked at the Amp and figured that there's only 4 purple wires leading in/out of it. (2 purple, 2 purple/brown)  I figured it was a safe deduction to figure out that those were the correct wires.  I suppose I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I use a wire tap fitting to connect my LOC wires to those speaker wires.  They're the same wire taps that were used on the vehicle I took the box out of, a 1990 Audi A4 (brother's old box actually).  The LOC was part of that system as well.  Only wires that are new are the power and ground wires.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 03:21:26 PM »
Today I have a pretty full schedule, tomorrow would be completely open though. I'm off all day, but have the kids, so maybe you could come over here. I don't know your schedule, so I'm at your beck and call. I'll PM you my phone #.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
Did you get up and running?

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
Quote from: "Wyaka"
Did you get up and running?

No, actually I had client meeting all day yesterday so I didn't even get a chance to look at it.  I'll maybe give you a call today to see when yo may be available.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery