Author Topic: Garage Day May 1st  (Read 32258 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2004, 01:23:09 AM »
Jay, you are right.  I was contemplating this when I posted the request.  The only reason I asked in the public forum is that other attendees may want to know.  I guess we need to finalize who is coming and Jon can send out the information to the individuals.

Jon, whatever you are comfortable in doing.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2004, 02:41:41 AM »
Dave, you have a PM...I don't post that info for privacy reasons...don't want that info public...like Jay said.

We should make a list of tasks for that day, seems like there are a lot of things going on, and have only one set of tools.

From what i know------
Dave=control arms and tie rods, or something to that affect
Van=Sway bars
Andrew=Sway bars
Alan W.=buffing-Brake bleeding. -replace horn. -replace crank pulley. -Rear sway bars
JR=snub mount and fogs
Jonathan=buffing
Rob=spark plugs and vaccuum hoses
Mark=rear shocks to bilstiens? Brake Bleeding (ouch :))
Matty B=Brake Bleeding
Jay=Buffing the wood, buff, buff, buff the wood, hehe
Randy=vaccuum lines

any others?

cheers
jon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2004, 02:41:41 AM »

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2004, 02:45:59 AM »
I am hoping to make it after work... I don't have much to mod atm, since I can't buy anything I want yet, friggen tax man!! But if there is time, I wouldn't mind some buffing with this super duper swirlie machine that you have? Haven't detailed my car since I got it  8O  Cept for the car wash guys across my work for like $20 hehe Oh, going to go talk to Chas this week and see if a C-bar would be useful on my car, we will see about that! :)

Jonathan

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2004, 06:46:10 AM »
Jonathan, added you to the list, hope you can get there soon enough, a decent buffing takes about 3-4 hours, even with the power buffer.  May need you to pick up some supplies, not sure I have enough for everyone.

In order for us to enjoy our evening, I hope to have most projects finished by 5pm so we can go out and celebrate.  Worff is leaving town that following Monday, so I was hoping we could all go out to show him a propper send off.

Does anyone have those pop-up tents we can put in the driveway so we can have some shade for buffing while we are working on other cars in the garage?  That would help out tons.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2004, 10:33:52 AM »
I completely understand about the address and privacy.  Thanks for the PM.

Let me look into the tent setup, I can't guarantee anything, but let me look into it.  I will bring all the tools and jack stands that I have.  I have a new set of inline ratcheting wrenches that may come in handy.  I havenít used them yet; we'll see how well they work.  I will probably be up around 10:00a.  See ya there!

RobD

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2004, 11:44:58 AM »
Jon - I'm hoping to make it too.  I hope to change out the spark plugs and change out a few more of the vacuum lines.  If I can make it I'll bring all my tools (including torque wrench).  Not sure if I can make the drive too so I might try to do the other stuff first and make it out for the drive.  We'll see.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2004, 12:52:58 PM »
Sounds good Jon, I don't have a pop up tent, I can ask friends to see if they do... If I am not there in time to buff, no biggie at all, just let me know if I need to get anything to bring :) Be glad to get stuff before I come by.  I am usually done with work around 12:30 ish, so I *should* be able to be down to your place by 2 or so, if not earlier if I am ready to go right after work ;) Unless of course I decide to take the whole day off  :lol:

Jonathan

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
Jonathan, I think the pads I have will be good for a few more cars, and your typical car care buffing and waxing compounds will do.  Something along the lines of Stage 2 and Stage 3 from either McGuires or Mothers will do pretty well.  I also want to get some more Finessit from the local supply store, which is about $30 per bottle, and is good for about 3-4 cars worth of buffing.  I will check with Mike R. as to where that store is and post it for everyone as well as where to get pads for the buffer, as well as the types of pads that are best.

I will get that info sometime this week, and post some options as to which products to look at and where to get them.

cheers
jon

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2004, 01:47:58 PM »
I'll definitly be there... I'm contemplating if I really want to replace my rear stock shocks with new Bilsteins. Either way I'll be there to lend a hand and hang out.

Mark
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2004, 02:05:11 PM »
Hey guys, if you need materials for car care, check out http://www.detailersparadise.com/Home.asp.  Give Nick a call.  I met the guy yesterday at an Audi Club tech session.  He knows his stuff very, very well.  I picked up a bunch of stuff yesterday from him.  BTW, I'll likely have goods to polish/clean windshields and pitted headlights with me if I make it to Jon's in case anyone needs it.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
Dave, you have a PM...I don't post that info for privacy reasons...don't want that info public...like Jay said.

We should make a list of tasks for that day, seems like there are a lot of things going on, and have only one set of tools.

From what i know------
Dave=control arms and tie rods, or something to that affect
Van=Sway bars
Andrew=Sway bars
Alan W.=buffing
JR=snub mount and fogs
Jonathan=buffing
Rob=spark plugs and vaccuum hoses
Mark=rear shocks to bilstiens?

any others?

cheers
jon

I would still like to do a brake fluid flush.  Mark you still in?  

Cheers,
Matt

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2004, 02:02:23 PM »
I so far plan to be there, I have a 10' by 10' canopy I can bring as well as the brake bleeder.

I would like to do some detail work on the Audi, there are some scratches I would like to buff out and I will hopefully have touched up the nicks by then so i can buff those parts and wax on....wax off.  

I will also be doing Rain-X as well.  I have never applied it before, but the Audi had it when i bought it and it is freakin awesome.

shummer

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2004, 02:37:06 PM »
Quote from: "MattyB"

I would like to get this done. Do you know the procedure or is there going to be somebody there to show us how?

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2004, 02:47:52 PM »
I have done this many times on my racecars, but without the power bleeder.  The process should be pretty easy.   I would imagine that you just fill the powerbleeer, pressurize it, hook it up to the master, then go to each corner and open the bleeder valve until the fluid runs clear.  The only tricks I see will be disposing of the old fluid and agreeing between everyone which fluid we are going to use.  We'll need to make a catch bottle if one is not provided with the power bleeder.  Jay?

If we do go forward with this I would like to preview the power bleeder instructions so that we aren't fumbling that day.

Anyone have recommendations for fluid?  I'd like to move up to one that could handle the additional heat of the occasional track day...but that wont' break the bank.

Cheers,
Matt

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2004, 02:53:20 PM »
I plan on being there.  I would like to do my vacume lines, but that is all I have planned so I can help out who ever else needs a hand.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

shummer

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2004, 02:58:26 PM »
Not sure about the brake fluid type, but I've heard one particular brand causes a squeaky clutch. I don't have a clutch (tiptronic) so just let me know what you go with. I also track my car so I'm interested in the higher boiling point fluid.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2004, 03:11:27 PM »
I haven't used the bleeder yet, so it is all new to me.  The instructions are with it.  We will need a container for catching the fluid.  We will need a plcae to dispose of it as well.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »
Give your local Jiffy Lube or  Grese Monkey a call I know of a Jiffy Lube here in the springs that will dispose of oil and brake fluid for a small fee, like 3 or 4 bucks.

~Greg :D
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2004, 04:59:07 PM »
Well guys, I may or may not be joining you guys for the GTG. I just sent my car in to get and alignment with the new tires and they said that the upper guide links (or upper control arms as we know them as) and the tie rod ends are loose and need to be replaced. I have desided that I might just buy the entire kit from ECS and do ALL the links and bushings.  That way I dont have to do it again anytime in the future. I know this is a fairly long process to change out all the links. I might just do it in my new garage when I move in this weekend. I probably wont get to it until the weekend of the first though. I also dont want to have to drive all the way home from Jons house without an alignment on my new tires. I will be getting one probably that Monday after the install. I most likly will have Autosport Works do the alignment... I heard they have a 4-wheel alignment rack at a reasonable charge.
att

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2004, 05:32:43 PM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
Give your local Jiffy Lube or  Grese Monkey a call I know of a Jiffy Lube here in the springs that will dispose of oil and brake fluid for a small fee, like 3 or 4 bucks.

~Greg :D

Jefferson County will take it at thier Rooney Rd. recycling center for $13.  I haven't called around to the above oil changers but hopefully we can find someplace cheap.  

Anyone have any recommendations on fluid?

/Matt

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2004, 09:00:11 PM »
Quote from: "BlackA4"
I most likly will have Autosport Works do the alignment... I heard they have a 4-wheel alignment rack at a reasonable charge.

Cool, I am trying to think of places that understand "adjustable" suspensions.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2004, 01:45:32 PM »
whoa, haven't checked this thread for a while and it didn't occur to me how soon it's coming up.

I have a few mods I want to do at the GTG, if there's time:
-Brake bleeding.
-replace horn.
-replace crank pulley (if the new one arrives by then).
-Rear sway bars (if it doesn't come in this week).

I'll probably pick up a Porter Cable power buffer from Detailer's Paradise and will bring my supply of car cleaning stuff for everyone to use (claybar, Klasse, wax, leather treatment, etc.).  And of course, I'll bring beers and munchies.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2004, 02:48:45 PM »
Sounds like there is a lot to do!  I will bring food, drink, and my W8 to the GTG.  The only issue with my W8 is a REALLY annoying chatter / squeek coming from the right side dash.  At times, it nearly drives me nuts ...  Anyways, I would love to help anyone that needs work done... so count me in on the fun!

- Jason  (Pics coming soon)
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2004, 03:11:45 PM »
Squeaking dash is a common thing with the B5.5 platform cars.  It has been said that you can cut sections of socks up and stuff them between the windsheild and the lower part f the dash where the 2 parts meet.  Its been proved that this is the way to correct the issue.

Steve

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2004, 03:14:58 PM »
BTW - I have a VagCom if anyone wants to checkout their ECU or other parameters, maybe you have a MIL you need to figure out.... let me know if I should bring the setup.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2004, 03:23:37 PM »
Jason, bring the Vag, you never know who might want to check things out.

cheers
jon

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
I am in for the afternoon.  I should be there about 1:30 and can stay for the duration of the event.  I do have to go to a frineds B-Day party the evening, but not till later.

I am hoping someone can help me swap out my vacule lines, but other than that I am free to help others.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2004, 03:33:11 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"
BTW - I have a VagCom if anyone wants to checkout their ECU or other parameters, maybe you have a MIL you need to figure out.... let me know if I should bring the setup.

woohoo, that will be awesome!!!
we could tryout the Sport Mode for the tip.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2004, 03:34:58 PM »
I'll have my proDiag as well (same thing as VAG-COM).

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2004, 03:39:07 PM »
Quote from: "MattyB"

Cheers,
Matt

Just to clarify...I'm not doing a brake fluid flush. I'm not sure why MattyB thought I was...though I'd be more than willing to lend a hand to those flushing their brakes, but for the record, I'm not doing my own. Thanks.

Mark
mad wagon