Author Topic: Garage Day May 1st  (Read 32272 times)

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »
Does anyone know the fluid capacity of our brake system?  I'd like to order some of the ate fluid from our sponsor and want to know how much to get (my owner's manual is being shipped to me by seller).  Once we figure that out we can order enough for everyone who is changing it that day.  If yer' all in.  I think those on the list are:

Me
shummer
aowhaus

Anyone else?

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2004, 03:50:07 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Quote from: "MattyB"
I would still like to do a brake fluid flush.  Mark you still in?  

Cheers,
Matt

Just to clarify...I'm not doing a brake fluid flush. I'm not sure why MattyB thought I was...though I'd be more than willing to lend a hand to those flushing their brakes, but for the record, I'm not doing my own. Thanks.

Mark

Sorry Mark, I thought I had seen you post in earlier...I must be loosing my mind :crazy:

Cheers,
Matt

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2004, 03:50:07 PM »

shummer

• Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2004, 04:03:16 PM »
I'd like to order some of the ate fluid from our sponsor and want to know how much to get (my owner's manual is being shipped to me by seller).

You getting the blue stuff? That should help let us know when to stop bleeding the brake lines.

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
Yes, I was leaning that direction and emailed our sponsor to find out if they knew of any difference between the two other than the color.

/Matt

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2004, 05:55:56 PM »
Does anyone know the fluid capacity of our brake system?  I'd like to order some of the ate fluid from our sponsor and want to know how much to get (my owner's manual is being shipped to me by seller).  Once we figure that out we can order enough for everyone who is changing it that day.  If yer' all in.  I think those on the list are:

Me
shummer
aowhaus

Anyone else?

Let me know what's the damage and I'll have the cash for you (and a couple beers) at the GTG (or sooner if you prefer).  Thanks for doing this!
Anything else I should contribute?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2004, 08:03:37 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

Me
shummer
aowhaus

Anyone else?

Let me know what's the damage and I'll have the cash for you (and a couple beers) at the GTG (or sooner if you prefer).  Thanks for doing this!
Anything else I should contribute?

Sounds good to me!  :D

I was going to make a catch bottle, but I don't have a larger container to hold all of the old fluid for recycling (someone in my family recently "cleaned house" and pitched all of my saved containers).  If you could come up with something, that would be great.  ;)  

/Matt

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2004, 08:51:38 PM »
how big of a container do you need and does it have to be really clean (so it doesn't contaminate the fluid to be recycled)?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2004, 09:09:05 PM »
what about a one gallon distilled water jug?  I don't have one, but we can buy a jug at the grocery store if we have nothing else...then just drink the water, and use the bottle for the brake fluid...I will check bently later this evening as to how much volume we are talking about

cheers
jon

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »
A water jug should work fine.  Also, I've received a response from the Parts4VW's, the only difference between the two types of fluid is color. I've read some good reviews about the performance of the ate fluid, but some have commented that the blue can stain.  If so, then the bleeder could very well turn blue.  Having not used the products before I don't know if this is a big deal; however...since this is a club bleeder, what is the consensus on color? Blue?  Gold? Does it matter to anyone?  

Cheers,
Matt

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2004, 09:58:59 PM »
I have a new unopenned liter of ATe SuperBlue if someone wants it.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2004, 10:06:38 PM »
Regarding Brake Bleeding and volumes...Bently has no mention of volume.  This is taken directly from the Bently......

In section Repair Group R 47-1 Brake system, bleeding

Note-
•Bleeding the braking system on vehicles with ABS is carried out as for vehicles with conventional braking systems.
•Only use new brake fluid conforming to US standard FMVSS 116 DOT 4
•Genuine VW/Audi brake fluid conforms to this specification.
•Brake fluiid is poisonous. Do to its corrosive nature brake fluid must not come into contac with paint
•Brake fluis is hygroscopic, which means it absorbes moistre from the ambient air and must therefore always be stored in air tight containers.
•Rinse off spillages by using plenty of water.
•Volkswagen recommends replacing the brake fluid every two years

-Buil-up brake pressure in brake system by pumping the brake pedal.
-Following bleeding sequence, attach bleeder bottle hose and open bleed screw.
1-Right-rear brake caliper
2-Left rear brake caliper
3-Right front brake caliper
4-Left front brake caliper
-with brake pedal held down, close bleed screw.
-Repeat operation until no air is present.

That is all the Bently has on brake bleeding...sorry guys :satisfied:

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2004, 10:35:17 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
Regarding Brake Bleeding and volumes...Bently has no mention of volume.  This is taken directly from the Bently......

In section Repair Group R 47-1 Brake system, bleeding

Note-
•Bleeding the braking system on vehicles with ABS is carried out as for vehicles with conventional braking systems.
•Only use new brake fluid conforming to US standard FMVSS 116 DOT 4
•Genuine VW/Audi brake fluid conforms to this specification.
•Brake fluiid is poisonous. Do to its corrosive nature brake fluid must not come into contac with paint
•Brake fluis is hygroscopic, which means it absorbes moistre from the ambient air and must therefore always be stored in air tight containers.
•Rinse off spillages by using plenty of water.
•Volkswagen recommends replacing the brake fluid every two years

-Buil-up brake pressure in brake system by pumping the brake pedal.
-Following bleeding sequence, attach bleeder bottle hose and open bleed screw.
1-Right-rear brake caliper
2-Left rear brake caliper
3-Right front brake caliper
4-Left front brake caliper
-with brake pedal held down, close bleed screw.
-Repeat operation until no air is present.

That is all the Bently has on brake bleeding...sorry guys :satisfied:

I am going to go out on a  long limb here.. When i recently bled my jetta's brake system we used almost 1 liter to flush the whole system.  Since we replaced all the lines on my car, i know we lost a fair amount of fluid. I would 'speculate' that if you have a few liters around (.5ltr - .75ltr per car) you should be fine.  I can't imagine the passat or A4 system needs much different.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »
I can't say what the differince is on brake fluid color.  When Mountain States did mine, it was or looked green.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2004, 12:46:28 AM »
don't care about the color, as long as it does its thing well.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2004, 02:32:54 PM »
Damn, this is going to be one crazy-ass-MoFo of a garage day... sounds almost too difficult for me to try to do detailing on my car... I'll probably just do that on my own sometime in my own garage, and just bring my belly pan issue..and help people wrench....

I will be in need of an oil change though.. wondering if Winston wants to help me with that. ;)
MWJD?

Corlesdi

• n00balicious
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2004, 06:38:50 PM »
Count me in, too.  I need to replace the bushings in my driver's side rear trailing arm.  However, I don't know if I'll need a press or something like that.  Hmm...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2004, 07:20:19 PM »
Quote from: "Corlesdi"
Count me in, too.  I need to replace the bushings in my driver's side rear trailing arm.  However, I don't know if I'll need a press or something like that.  Hmm...

My guess is that you would need a press, otherwise it would come out too easily.  You may need to have a shop do that.  We have a pretty extensive list of cars to work on already for that day, maybe too many, there are some big projects to accomplish and only limited room in the garage.  But if we all work together and don't mess around, we should be able to move cars in and out quick enough.  The biggest job will be Daves car and his control arms...and he said he can't make it until 10am.

Dave, if you are reading this, is there any way you can show up earlier so we can start on your car first?  otherwise someone else may take up garage space and that will delay the start time on your car by a couple more hours.

Just thinking how we are gonna get all this stuff done in one day...and what time we can start, the earlier the better, as if we need parts, the parts places are only open until noon for VW and Audi.  Something to keep in mind.

cheers
jon

Vanimaniac

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2004, 03:38:31 AM »
I'll probably need help putting on my Nike Swoosh graphic on the back window. Also does anyone know if the Bentley manual explains how to install a Type R wing onto my Avant?

Seriously though. I'd love to see how I might be able to buff out some scratches that I put on the car myself.

Jon, occasionally my auto leveling light has come on every now and then since the shock install, but only when the wheel is turned all the way to one side or the other. Lights seem to work normal to me though, so I haven't bothered with messing with the clip just yet.

Does anyone have a Gtech Pro or similar product?

Thanks.

BTW, sway bars should be in the mail.

Van "sway bars should be in the mail" Townsend
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2004, 12:07:48 PM »
Van, we can look clip when you get here.  I am a pro at the nike swoosh graphic...but I think it would be nicer if you had it on all 3 rear windows, not just the rear.

Not sure how much time we will have for buffing, we have some big mechanical projects in mind, and buffing takes a good 4-5 hours for a complete detail, and we need the garage space for things like your sways.

If we get those tents set up, then there will be some shade and people can detail in the driveway.

did you get the H-sports?

cheers
jon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2004, 12:15:16 PM »
Quote from: "Vanimaniac"
Seriously though. I'd love to see how I might be able to buff out some scratches that I put on the car myself.

Hey Van,
I have some polishing/clay bar/waxing to do, also.  I'm guessing that's going to take a back seat to the other projects.  There's just so much scheduled for the day already I don't think I'm going to get to it.  Do you want to hook up some time and we can do that together?
BTW, I can't wait to see and ride in your car after all the recent mods.  Jon says it looks really cool.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
Okay, well, here is my plan:

Wendy asked me to help her move, so I will be doing that most of the day, but I really need to change my fluid and will stop by first thing in the morning and also after I help Wen move.  She's close by, so maybe I'll bring over the DCI gang helping her too.

So MattyB, add a liter of fluid for me too and I will contribute for both that and my part of the bleeder.  Amanda, are you going to have the brake tool there?  I would like to borrow it at the end of the day since my brake job will be on the list in the next couple of weeks.

Thumbs up!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2004, 01:32:54 PM »
Winston, I have the rear brake tool, but I will need it next week for Hawk and Mike R's rear brakes...we will be doing both of those the before the garage day hopefully, but you are welcome to it after that, or we can do it while you are here if you have pads, only takes about 30 minutes to re-do the rears.

cheers
jon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2004, 01:40:29 PM »
Winston, I have the rear brake tool, but I will need it next week for Hawk and Mike R's rear brakes...we will be doing both of those the before the garage day hopefully, but you are welcome to it after that, or we can do it while you are here if you have pads, only takes about 30 minutes to re-do the rears.

cheers
jon

I won't have the parts for at least a couple weeks, so I will arrange something with you when I get closer to getting the parts.  My brakes are hurting so it needs doing soon.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2004, 02:14:49 PM »

Dave, if you are reading this, is there any way you can show up earlier so we can start on your car first?  otherwise someone else may take up garage space and that will delay the start time on your car by a couple more hours.

cheers
jon

Jon, I am looking at about between 2.5 to 3 hours for the work.  The only issue that I am concerned about is if the tie rods are rusted up or locked down.  I have read at that point I may have to bring in a torch, which I have.  That part makes me nervous.  As far as my arrival time, I cannot get there any earlier.  As long as I have a level area, like the sidewalk or curb, and nice weather, I should be ok.  If not then I will help with the wrenching of other cars until the garage opens up.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2004, 02:28:19 PM »
sounds good Dave, get here when you can.

Winston, let me know when your parts are in and I can even help you out some evening.

cheers
jon

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2004, 03:35:06 PM »
If it gets out of hand 'round Jon's house a group of us can swing down to my house, or meet there in the a.m. (near 72nd & Ward) and rip out a couple of projects and swing back up to Jons.  I live in a court, have a two car garage and the previous owner doubled the width of my driveway -- guess he hated mowing grass  :-)

Cheers,
Matt

Boris

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2004, 04:32:47 PM »
Hey, how long will it take to change timing belt? I would like to get it done before we go down to Rusty's GTG. Also anyboby chime in what fluids, tools etc. I will need to do this.
[size=28]REMEMBER!!!![/size]   Where you go, there you are
Living life of crime ain't no fun. It ought to be OUTLAWed!

MattyB

• Stock
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Okay, well, here is my plan:

Wendy asked me to help her move, so I will be doing that most of the day, but I really need to change my fluid and will stop by first thing in the morning and also after I help Wen move.  She's close by, so maybe I'll bring over the DCI gang helping her too.

So MattyB, add a liter of fluid for me too and I will contribute for both that and my part of the bleeder.  Amanda, are you going to have the brake tool there?  I would like to borrow it at the end of the day since my brake job will be on the list in the next couple of weeks.

Thumbs up!

Alrighty...three liters ordered.  Counting Eric's liter we should be good to go on brake fluid changes!  I have a floor jack and two stands if someone brings two more we can pull all four wheels off at once and cut downtime.  Jon, thanks for looking up the info in the Bently.

/Matt

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »
Quote from: "Boris"
Hey, how long will it take to change timing belt? I would like to get it done before we go down to Rusty's GTG. Also anyboby chime in what fluids, tools etc. I will need to do this.

It's pretty funny how Boris is a "noob."  Hell, he's been doing this as long as anyone.  I know it's just based on number of posts or whatever, just thought it was funny.

Anyway Boris check out the ultimate timing belt kit at ECS.  That's what most, if not all, of us did a couple months ago.  You'll also want some G12 coolant and distilled water.  I think I have enough coolant for you.  I'd probably just give the guys at ECS a call, tell 'em what you're doing and see if they have any other recommendations.  While you're in there you may want to consider a snub mount and/or electric fan kit.  The EFK can be had for around $140 from Supreme Power Parts.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day May 1st
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2004, 07:43:47 PM »
What Pat says and plan on 5-8 hours for the change.