Discussion Forums > Maintenance

Cam chain tensioner... oh joy

(1/2) > >>

redline:
So my engines been making a ticking noise at the timing belt for a day or two and thanks to Richard I finally got it down to the timing chain tensioner. I was hoping to put off doing my timing belt job for a couple of weeks, but not anymore so I have several questions.

First off, does anyone know how hard of a job this is? I was looking today and it looks like I need to remove the head to get to the tensioner assembly, is this right? Will I need to grab a new head gasket while I'm at it? Also, will I need the Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Set? Looking at the photo from ECS, it looks like it has a plug-in to the ECU, should I be throwing a CEL?

More importantly, is there anyone that could help me do this on Sunday (best estimate of when the parts get here) or more likely Monday? I really need to get this knocked out to get back on the road and rolling. I'm willing to repay with photography, food/beer, or whatever you feel is adequate.

92UrS4:
Mike, you and these damn timing belts. Unfortunately I have not done this job. Renee's parents are in town this weekend and the Scout is occupying the maintenance side of the garage since I am working on it so I wont be much help this weekend.

redline:

--- Quote from: gietl on October 30, 2008, 10:08:26 PM ---Mike, you and these damn timing belts. Unfortunately I have not done this job. Renee's parents are in town this weekend and the Scout is occupying the maintenance side of the garage since I am working on it so I wont be much help this weekend.

--- End quote ---

Seriously. I think they're all sitting in a back room somewhere figuring out ways to spend more of my money. ;)
At least no ones had a chance to hulk smash this one in yet. :D

Thanks anyway jay! I know that if you could do anything, you would.

03Indigo:
the GTI is more difficult than the longitudinal 1.8T of the A4 or Passat....but still, not that hard.  Should only take about 6-8 hours with a decent write up in hand.  As you know, I am booked up with my schedule since this is the last weekend I work...I have already made a ton of plans to enjoy my weekends off.

Hope someone can come to your rescue and lend a hand...I am sure you are checking the vortex and 1609, etc. to see if anyone there is available.  Wish I had the time to lend a hand.

redline:
Indeed, checking the local forums that I trust. Luckily, it's down to just doing the timing belt kit and next weekend, the weekend of the 8th since parts can't get here in time. Any takers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version