Author Topic: O hi  (Read 2393 times)

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
O hi
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
Hows it goin?

My 95 Camaro bought the farm, and I came across a 2002 1.8T Jetta to fill in while she is gettin a new 350, and this should do quite a bit better in the snow. So far I gotta say I am diggin the new rig, only regret is I wish mine had a proper manual. Seems like a pretty good community you guys have going here, looking forward to hitting up some of the meets and getting some mods going.

For now, here is a pic from the night I brought the MKIV home:

( highres: http://c0ldphuz10n.googlepages.com/CIMG1659.JPG/CIMG1659-full;init:.JPG).

Catch ya around.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Re: O hi
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »
Welcome!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »
Glad you found us. The 1.8T is a lot of fun, and there are tons of resources for the MKIVs. They really aren't too bad to maintain yourself which is nice.

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
Hello!

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
Glad you found us. The 1.8T is a lot of fun, and there are tons of resources for the MKIVs. They really aren't too bad to maintain yourself which is nice.

Thats good news to hear. You see a lot of stuff on the web saying that they break down a lot, have the folks here had pretty good luck with em?

My check engine light came on, so I took it back to the dealer and they said that it was some kinda emissions thing, cat going out or something. Which I thought was kinda weird because it passed emissions; but I dunno, having the gas cap too loose can turn that light on so it might be a fair bit more paranoid than the OMG light in the Camaro was.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:20:42 AM »
The 1.8T as long as it is maintained is an awesome engine. It is a very old engine, well tested and is pretty bomb proof, again if maintained.

Now keep in mind, other components have had failure points, coil packs, cats, O2 sensors, Mass airflow sensor, etc etc.

There are some sludge issues, though I think the Jetta's were not as impacted since the motor is transverse mounted instead of longitudally like the Passat and A4. Do some searching on sludge here and on sites like http://www.vwvortex.com for more details.

I guess like any used car, it's going to be as good as the people who owned it. The CEL could be a number of things, if the light is on, you can always stop at places like PepBoys and they can pull the code, then you can cross reference that online. The gas cap can cause an emissions warning, usually loosening and retightening the gas cap, then after x number of cycles and driving it will go away if that is the issue.

So if the lights still on and you have time, stop by a store and get the code pulled, or look for someone on here or one of the other forums who has a VAG-COM that can scan the car for you. At least that way you will know exactly what the error is and know if it is worth worrying about or not.

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
Good call, stopped by Checker and hat the code pulled here was the verdict: P0012 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

The dealership just put a new timing belt on it, so I'm gonna take it back to them and get em to straighten that out.