Author Topic: Garage: How do you channel snow melt out?  (Read 1603 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage: How do you channel snow melt out?
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
I have a spot in my garage where the cement wasn't poured and levelled correctly and the snow melt in the winter is moving towards the side instead of out of the garage.

Before I rig something up, I wanted to see if anyone else here has already tackled this issue with something already created for this purpose.

I figure all I need to do is glue a plastic strip with a raised edge all the way out the door so that the water moving towards this flows out.

TIA.

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Garage: How do you channel snow melt out?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
never had that happen, but I can only assume a strip that is sealed from front to back of the garage, as long as the pad overall flows downwards towards the door, will help to lead the melt out the garage door.  If It lingers on the sides of the pad, and drips between the pad and the foundation, it can cause erosion of the earth underneath and that can lead to massive settling.  Was this a recent pour?  Or was it this way when you moved in?

Sometimes you can call the "Mud Jack" people, they can prop up the sides and direct the flow to the middle.  You might have settling already since it moves to the side.  I have seen the issue with my neighbors in Westminster since they hosed out their garage seasonally, and that caused erosion.  The Mud Jack process helped get things back to the proper grade.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
I have a similar issue.  Water tends to spread out a little too much to the sides of my garage than I like.  I was thinking of getting some cheap caulk and running a bead along the floor to channel water back towards the door. 

It wouldn't be permanent - I'm sure my kids would destroy the line quickly, but it would at least be an interesting experiment.